[Theorarm] Do We Actually Need The Hardware Video Decoder?

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
AFAIR we currently have some issues with drivers for the hardware decoder (wrong kernel version).
I just found this interesting project: http://wss.co.uk/pinknoise/theorarm/
Looks like it's possible to run a DVD-quality theora/vorbis video at real time using just 500Mhz Cortex-A8. I personally don't need anything more.
Will we have this beast in the first firmware release?

Vitel said:
AFAIR we currently have some issues with drivers for the hardware decoder (wrong kernel version).
I just found this interesting project: http://wss.co.uk/pinknoise/theorarm/
Looks like it's possible to run a DVD-quality theora/vorbis video at real time using just 500Mhz Cortex-A8. I personally don't need anything more.
Will we have this beast in the first firmware release?
I'd like the decoder to work, I have everything encoded to H264 in the .mkv wrapper and it will be a pain to re-encode to another format. Besides, no matter what when you use hardware decoding it takes up less cpu cycles and uses less battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, no matter what when you use hardware decoding it takes up less cpu cycles and uses less battery.
Really? Why do you think so?

<flame>edit: Regarding H.264 - it sux because of patents. I prefer Theora/Vorbis.</flame>

Hardware decoding is wanted.

I don't want to have a maxed out cpu just to watch a movie.

Vitel said:
Besides, no matter what when you use hardware decoding it takes up less cpu cycles and uses less battery.
Because it would be extremely silly of TI to put in a decoder that wasn't several times more efficient than the CPU at decoding video.
Also, if your CPU is being eaten by software decoding, you can't run as many programs in the background.

We want to use hardware acceleration whenever it is possible.

while we're at it, i suggest OP also drop the dubious support for SGX and move to mesa swrast.

Vitel said:

<flame>edit: Regarding H.264 - it sux because of patents. I prefer Theora/Vorbis.</flame>

OMG, then why do you think GPU's and acceleration hardware was developed for???
if this wasnt any truth then i would expect multicore systemas available long ago, each core doing different tasks.

darkblu said:
while we're at it, i suggest OP also drop the dubious support for SGX and move to mesa swrast.
Get with the times man, we can use G3D xlib/llvmpipe. It's way faster than swrast, and also part of mesa

zhasha said:
darkblu said:
Get with the times man, we can use G3D xlib/llvmpipe. It's way faster than swrast, and also part of mesa
dunno wtf you said but it sounded SO COOL!!!

zhasha said:
darkblu said:
huh? there's a llvmpipe for gallium? i thought that was still in early conceptualizing stages.

Back