Themes Via Ln -s Or Symbolic Links

toxic_d

Still Fresh
First of all sorry for posting before searching but I have to get off to work...

I was just thinking wouldn't it be easier and safer to link to the new themes rather than copying them over the the nand memory as it only has a limited number of write times. I think you should be able to use a symbolic link to a "standard" location on the sd card and possibly have a small script run at startup to verify an sd card is available and display the linked theme. If there is no theme available then the script would have it default to the GPH provided theme.

Thanks for reading and sorry if it has already been covered...

Toxic_d

Not really sure, but I though symbolic links would have to point to files on the same filesystem/drive as the links?

And really, thats quite useless as the nand has something like 100.000+ write cycles.

Should work I think (unless the NAND is formatted as FAT, which I don't remember), but that means that the symbolic links will fail if you don't have the right SD card in. Heh, whatever.

It should work as I have tried it via a telnet session setting up the link but I have not rebooted the device... Its strange that no one has thought of this as an easier way of installing the themes... easily done adding the links and a script won't be too hard too write.

I guess I have just determined my first minor project for the gp2x.

Back