The Wonder smartphone console hybrid thing, as presented by Nolan Bushnell and... Shakira?!

This looks neat:
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-mods/moto-gamepad-console

New-Moto-Mods-NoypiGeeks-3.jpg

@vcoleiro1 sorry, the pgs comparison was really meant to be a joke and the remarks in my second post about pgs as well.

the rest is serious doubtfulness though. There are people out there who like these devices, I for one am skeptical towards everthing android/gaming hybrid wise nowadays. I am especially skeptical when big consumer hardware company names and mobile game studios are the only thing with some random celebrities they have to show. yes all these people are professionals and know how to produce, market and sell things, but I consider myself a serious video game enthusiast and mobile games in the form of apps don't really count as video games to me. I know that there are hundreds of examples that can prove me wrong right now, but consoles and pcs have more beef software wise, that's just how it is. and even the good games that come from companies like that are casual games at best in my eyes.

@xnopasaranx

Ah, I did pause and think you may have been joking , sorry.

Yeah, I'm skeptical also like everyone else, lets face it, there has been so many projects that haven't worked out over the years, that it is hard not to be skeptical.

I am curuious though to at least see what they have planned. It does sound interesting.

"We only have a vague concept and will let the people work it out for us". <.<

When I read "phone" I understand "Android". Watch me walk away with a shrug.
did the sony experia make an impact on the market, or any add-on controller thingy?
There's no system sellers, only an abundance of casul stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ___
In case it turns out to be a gaming tablet a la switch, I'd advise against anyone doing that just because Nintendo have. Nintendo has multiple stuidos producing stuff which is adored by kids and manchildren the world over.

Well from the algamation of what ive read on it. This is what they claim

it will be a top speced large smartphone type device styled futuristically and very different to todays smartphones. It will be based on Android and have an array of accessories like a dock to hook it to a tv and VR goggles(could be thrird party compatibility) . I'm going to guess that it has either game controls that would be subtly designed into it - unlike a game tablet, or the controls will be another accessory (think icontrolpad or that motorola thing)

I'm going to guess media streaming will also be a part of it when docked

Will be interesting to see how close or far of that is from what it actually becomes

Meh, the only smartphone design that'll get me legitimately excited is one for a clamshell with a decent keyboard and full gaming controls with a secondary screen on the lid for use when it's closed. Gotta be comfortable, but not too bulky, and well designed overall. Basically I want a modern Nokia Communicator that can game.

lol it's the PGS!

No, the PGS was a total scam from the start. This appears to be a "well-intentioned" concept cooked up by people who saw a bunch of trendy buzz words in a trade publication somewhere and threw them into a pitch without any concept of the technology required or the market demand.

This isn't the PGS, this is the OUYA. They've already pulled enough money and names to build sufficient hype to draw more money and more names. It's the kind of idea that seems like a winner to marketing weasels and uninformed investors, and that's why it will probably actually get made. It won't be any good or course. It won't deliver a quarter of what the hype promises, the "community" will never materialize, and the investors won't make a dime. But I'd give it at least even odds that something becomes of this.

Guys, I got accepted into Wonder's Alpha program. That's probably all I should say though.

That's all you can say though, ie I have also been accepted and have had a look at their forum, no new info yet. Although they do promise some more info soon.

i wonder if wonder is just another regular phone.
the only different thing is the SOC,maybe Snapdragon or tegra, so mostly the hardware designer it has to be contrate in the gaming control, could be different of the moto mod, how much differentiation.
PGS was a nice idea in design.

there have been substantial refinements to to the prototype, now it has 3 d's.
IMG_3854.JPG IMG_3855.JPG IMG_3876.JPG

hot glue gun action, 3.5" touch screen, 320 x 480 pixels of goodness, etc. it will have removable battery. L and R may not make it, due to the need to put them on the back to do things comfortably, but we could make tilt L-eft and R-ight press those buttons.

The Perfect "Gaming Phone" for me would be like the
Xperia Play.

This Phone had good Gaming Controls for me..there was a big Accu Cell to buy with up to 4800mah for it..
..and even it fit in a Normal Jeans Pocket.
Android 4 was good working as a Custom Rom.

Why are all other "Gaming Phone" ever so big?
Here is a Site with the Specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_play-3608.php

Interesting story - do not see a huge market for an android gaming handheld - those have been done several times now, most prominent Nvida shield I guess or Archos Gamepad and JXD S192K.
They will need to have a better concept than those.

And 14 million might sound a lot to us, but mentioning the Nintendo Switch seems almost laughable. Nintendo likely had more money than that for the joycon development alone.

Back