The Way We're Treating Newcomers

Thraka posted on Apr 1 2005 at 12:05 AM said:
Thank you for starting this topic. My thoughts:

1) Do I feel alienated by the community even though I have not asked a "dumb" question, and I do use the search engine? Yes
2) Why? Because of the attitudes of the existing members (not all of course)
3) Do new people feel this way? Most likely
4) Why? See #2; The replys they usually get
5) Can the existing members make this a better community? Yes
6) Why? Because they are the community
7) What would happen if it kept up? New users and old ones alike will eventually leave.
8) What will that do to the community? Dry it up, slow down new software, and eventually kill the GP32

:(

I just want it to be a better place as do some others :)

I do agree, although I got a nice responce from members here when I was new to the scene.
I had firmware, SMC and Emulator problems. All questions were answered with tact and the usual humour. But I do think that with the growth of a community, comes the kids who would be gods.

Some people think they know it all, and belittle the ones who do not. They art the ones who sully the community for us who wish it to grow. For them I have something to say (And you will know who you are):

Don't try and make yourselves look big by making newcomers feel little. Your piers here will not think highly of this, and they will stick the golden star of annoyance in your virtual text book. This will stick there for ages and will be your downfall when you in turn need help. And we all need help, especially when it's your round at the bar. But then again, the idiots are too young to drink in the first place. :lol:

P.S. Mines a Double Vodka and coke...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a newcomer and no-one's been unkind to me so far, even though I pop up with some senseless questions :D I'm quite fond of this forum in fact, people have been great answering to everything.
Cheers!

exael posted on Mar 31 2005 at 11:55 PM said:
I am a newcomer and no-one's been unkind to me so far, even though I pop up with some senseless questions :D I'm quite fond of this forum in fact, people have been great answering to everything.
Cheers!
Usually you'll be fine, it's just the 10th topic about nintendo 64 emulation today that starts to annoy people

i think you are all right, but do you think the people who flame actually care?
the ones posting in here aer all quite.....mhh....german:vernuenftig.... after all this may have little effect to the ones being talked to....

I've found these forums to be very friendly towards me - I'm so new I don't even have my GP32 yet.

Although, I will be honest and say I have been keeping all of my posting in the "I need help" newbie forum, as that board appears to be flame proof. If have had nothing but friendly, helpful responses posting there.

Posting questions on the general forum is only going to attract idiots posting one-lined flame replies, unfortunately - that is how the Internet goes.

I've only seen two people I would really classify as going out of their way to be an idiot and they haven't been involved in my posts anyway

Grebn posted on Mar 31 2005 at 05:59 AM said:
Alright all,

I tend to follow threads on the GP32x on a daily basis. Most of them are either interesting or entertaining, and a lot of the time sound support and advice is offered.

But I'm getting increasingly hacked off with the know it all, shoot you down in a second mentality of some of the forums members, particularly when directed at a newcomer.

And why not? They're easy targets right? And its so much more productive to spend a minute or two slagging and flaming them than actually offering a line or two of help.

Only thing is, it comes over as pathetic, and the guy looking the idiot certainly isn't the one asking the questions. So why do it? Obviously if you're slagging someone down, its because you know the answer and they don't. So why not share the brilliant wisdom that obviously gives you the right to be so rude and unpleasant.

When I bought a GP32, I was stuck with the white bar issue, so I posted on the forum. The replies I got were extremely helpful and friendly. I realise now that that was just pure luck. If I'd have got yupster, charga_man or some of the other bullying divs that patrol these forums, it may have just given me the impression that the forum is full of tossers and geeks.

So message to the pricks on this forum - sort it out. If people are shot down for asking a question, they may not ask any more, then they'll be as ignorant as you.

this is an april fools joke right

People are saying this community is unfriendly and have been doing it for a long time but we keep getting more members. We simply can't be nice to everyone - you expect every single one of our members to have patience and restraint. Show me a forum which has that and still has a spirit.

It seems to be a vocal minority who are having trouble. In the Retro-Mark thread, a real answer was delivered fairly fast (... 6 replies), but Retro ignored that and instead attacked the stupid replies. Granted those replies were dumb, and unneeded, and I would have handed out suspensions if I was around, but Retro did not need to start flaming people ('I don't understand German' in particular). He also acted like a cocky bastard.

However, I would like to support moz's idea of making a forum called 'I read the FAQ and searched the forums but I still have a problem'. It is pure genius. It won't stop people from posting questions in General Talk, though.

flame attacks are fairly rare really, I mean I asked the stupidest question when I first joined and I was greeted with friendly and helpful advice. I think its the manner in which the question is asked that determines flamage.

In case you wanted to know, I asked whether the gp32 emulators used the same roms as the pc, stupid eh?

'I don't understand german'

I thought that was a pretty classy way to handle a pretty nasty flame. It was amusing, but not offensive (to anyone with half a brain, anyway).

The worst part about the retro-mark thread, if you follow all the links, is that we lost out on a new devver... and we can always do with more of those!

Back