The Way We're Treating Newcomers

Yes, the FAQ is still usefull but as mentioned, a little out of date. What worried me most as a new GP32 BLU+ user was the issue with the white bar and scanlines. It's like I've read about it but what does it look like (you imagine bad things when you haven't seen the problem first hand). For someone new reading about this could put someone off from buying a GP32. Now that I've seen it for myself, I think "Hey, what was all the fuss about" but you don't know untill you actually see it for yourself or see screenshots. All I'm saying is things "could" be made a little easier.

:)

As you can see in my profile i´m not here a long time, not even a full year. And so i can very well remember that, ever since i arrived here as a noob, noone ever flamed me. I guess that´s because of three reasons:

1. I read the forum rules. Yes, i did it. I don´t regard it as a necessity, since the rules of most forums are very similar, but those newbies who were flamed obviously hadn´t a slight clue what those rules were about. Still, they claimed to have read and accepted them on signup. So they are liars and the first thing they did to get on our boards was lying. A bad start for a new member, don´t you agree? And that explains a lot, i think.

2. I always try to find out the answers for my questions myself. The search button is the most resourceful way of obtaining information when entering a new scene. Apart from this, everyone should be conscious of the fact that it is really annoying to have to answer the same three questions over and over again.

3. I read the readme´s. Just look at this thread. This guy was whining about DrMD having the BLU+ errors. If he would have spent two minutes reading the readme, he would know how to solve his problem. But he didn´t. This is highly offensive towards a programmer who has carefully documented his software, so of course people are getting annoyed.

The conclusion of this is that newbies shouldn´t have any problems if they are following some basic guidelines. Yet obviously, some don´t follow them and are therefore being flamed. Maybe they should consider the fact that the behaviour of others towards them is a result of their behaviour towards the community and thus change their behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basicall, the golden rule is DONT BE LAZY.

Search using our search, read the faqs, read readme files, google for it. If you still cant find it, then ask.

I myself would much prefer to google or search on these forums than post asking a question, you can usually find the answer much more quickly.

But equally, dont just flame people who make the mistake of asking when they really shoudlnt. If you decide to answer, just point them in the direction of the answer (you dont necessarily have to tell them the answer yourself).

But keep it nice.

Ta

I agree its not a good way to treat newcomers like this, but there are sometimes things like someone makes 3 treads about the same stupid question in one day, that really is annoying.

If I see a thread that annoys me I just don't post. That's easier than flaming, right?
Just about the only thing that always gets to me is txt-speak. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but when I see the lazy way some folk ask for help (a single line of 3 letter abbreviations with 10 exclamation points will do it every time) it'll put me right off being the good samaritan.
I mean, they are using a full qwerty keyboard, right?

(Shuffles off grumpily muttering about incorrect use of the apostrophe)

Axeman posted on Mar 31 2005 at 02:49 PM said:
Basicall, the golden rule is DONT BE LAZY.

This is the absolute rule. If you are too lazy, the gp32 is no handheld for you :D

I've been treated terribly since I first arrived.

But thats why i joined a sadomasocist forum.

If I wanted to be treated by a wetnurse I would have joined a retro handheld forum or something.

alyinsanfran posted on Mar 31 2005 at 03:53 PM said:
If I see a thread that annoys me I just don't post. That's easier than flaming, right?
Just about the only thing that always gets to me is txt-speak. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but when I see the lazy way some folk ask for help (a single line of 3 letter abbreviations with 10 exclamation points will do it every time) it'll put me right off being the good samaritan.
I mean, they are using a full qwerty keyboard, right?

(Shuffles off grumpily muttering about incorrect use of the apostrophe)

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

:D :blink: :D

I guess sometimes it's difficult to think that someone may be

1. less intelligent than yourself
2. less computer literate than you are

I see the point of the original post, Sometimes people ask a question they really don't know the answer to, and also they may not know the jargon, so it makes then appear thick. I guess we have to read between the lines sometimes and be a little patient. Don't slag em orf as if dey are fik

I totaly agree with the starting post! We need to get a little bit more friendly. I myself try to do so, but most of the time the flamers are faster in posting (heck, it's faster to wrtie a line "u $7up1d M0r0n! I'11 h4xx0r ur comp" than actually typing a reply!). If you don't like certain posts, don't read them! It's as easy as that.

point made, beer drunk!

I AM kind to newcomers. You're not a newcomer! You seem to be a guy just answering with emoticons. And you were using a confused Emoticon twice, instead of saying what you didn't understand in Fluffys or my post.

No, I don't think so. What I wrote is not meant to be the flaming kind of reply. I'm just telling him the facts.

On topic again:

The Search feature is a feature with it's own mysteries. See, everytime I try to use it, I am of the opinion that no matter what I type into the field, I get a random selection of results. I guess this is not me, only, so my words are: search doesn't work, as it's haunted!

Thank you for starting this topic. My thoughts:

1) Do I feel alienated by the community even though I have not asked a "dumb" question, and I do use the search engine? Yes
2) Why? Because of the attitudes of the existing members (not all of course)
3) Do new people feel this way? Most likely
4) Why? See #2; The replys they usually get
5) Can the existing members make this a better community? Yes
6) Why? Because they are the community
7) What would happen if it kept up? New users and old ones alike will eventually leave.
8) What will that do to the community? Dry it up, slow down new software, and eventually kill the GP32

:(

I just want it to be a better place as do some others :)

Back