The Ultimate Comprehensive Review Of The Gp2x Handheld (videos + Pictu

GameCop

Still Fresh
pic23ju3.jpg
[1Emulation] very thoroughly reviews the GP2x (MKII) handheld from Gamepark Holdings. It covers all aspects from the device's aesthetics to its ability to play music, videos, games, and, most importantly, emulators. Included are many videos and pictures to fully illustrate the GP2x and its capabilities. You will not find a review this detailed anywhere else!

:: Read the Review
:: Digg It!

..written in the style of DaveC :p

SquidgeSnes0.37 -- >"In our main test, we used Super Street Fighter II, and it was completely unplayable. Not only was it extremely slow, but it could not even surpass 15-25 frames per second, even with overclocking to 250mhz"

I'm giving this a go when I get home tonight. No way can that be true.

DrMDv5b7 (Sega Megadrive-Genesis / Gamegear / Master System / 32x)
Read the bloody readme, DrMD doesn't emulate the 32x. Yet another sprout of confusion.

The only problems we found with this emulator is that quite a few games don't take up the entire screen and there is no current option to zoom or resize it
That's because not all Genesis games were made at/for the same resolution. Either way the borders are minimal, and stretching the image would look horrible. Enjoy the beautiful imagery the Sega Genesis has to offer at 1:1.

As a MAME fanatic, I was very disappointed with all the games we tried.
Big surprise, goody for you. Get a Japanese to do it!

Again, we found the Neogeo emulator just not up to par
Man...

SquidgeSNES 0.37 (Super Nintendo)

This was by far the biggest disappointment for all of us during this review.
In our main test, we used Super Street Fighter II, and it was completely unplayable.
This was a major let down and hopefully the author of the emulator will be able to better utilize the GP2x for emulation of the Super Nintendo.
That's what you get when you throw the most graphics-heavy games at WIP emulators. Way to cheer Squidge and Reesy up.

This system should only be advertised for Linux gurus and developers, no one else. If you want to emulate better, purchase a Sony PSP or Nintendo DS.
Why the fuck did you post this on the front page of a GP2X fan site? Developers work hard on their software, which by the way is free of charge for us to enjoy. Emulators are constantly improving and many of the ones you slurred are more than playable. Better and better homebrew games and ports are landing the front page every week. Give them a try sometime.

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex - he spent 3 hours trying to get a USB cable working, he couldn't read the letters on the buttons, and to cap it all he's put this in the GP32 NewsZone.. I don't really think the GP2X is for him..

Is that a real GP2X TV-OUt cable?

Seems to me like it needs something else, i wouldnt be able to connect that to my TV without buying an extra male to male cable.

Alex, i totally agree with your post.

peetabix posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:25 PM said:

Seems to me like it needs something else, i wouldnt be able to connect that to my TV without buying an extra male to male cable.

Yes, that's how it currently comes, and it's a pain. I'm sure craigix mentioned something about plans to package out-the-box 'workable' cables in the future.

ste_167 posted on Aug 30 2006 at 05:29 PM said:
peetabix posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:25 PM said:

Yes, that's how it currently comes, and it's a pain. I'm sure craigix mentioned something about plans to package out-the-box 'workable' cables in the future.

Ok, thanks for the info. Any idea on when this will happen?

No, I'm afraid not. I guess the principle is that it's a base adapter that you can connect the required length cables to. Very un-Playstationy!

Seems a pretty harsh review to me.
Half of the fun I get from my GP2X is following the development of emulators/homebrew, and trying to get it running.
Guess I just like tinkering <shrugs>

Shouldn't be too hard on the reviewer I suppose, from what I remember, puberty was a bastard.

You know it was going to be a bad review to begin with when in the first paragragh he already mentioned having a psp. Almost everyone that has a psp and does a review of the GP2X expects it to be like a psp. I also love the green glove in the one picture. I guess he forgot and thought he was holding a psp for a second. I don't ever remember my gp2x getting smudged with finger prints like my psp. Also I like how he said "It became very disappointing as we were really hoping for some classic MAME games to play." I wouldn't necessarily call SFII one of the classics. MAME classics are more along the lines of Galaga, Pac Man, Lunar Lander and other late 70's early 80's games. His idea of classics seems to be early 90's capcom stuff probably which is a tad unfair to the author to judge mame on those games and not let other people know how "other" classic games run. Not all of the review was bad. I agree'd on a couple things, but he should've done a bit more research before really doing a review. One good thing about this review is it will keep all of the people complaining about snes, mame, and others not being fullspeed out of our forum. Guess I'm done ranting. I think I'll go play my gp2x now...Shit!...how do I turn this on? Where is the X and Y buttons...I cant find them. I wish the gp2x had a button setup like a snes. Then I might be able to play better. :rolleyes:

ste_167 posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
Guess I'm done ranting. I think I'll go play my gp2x now

Just be careful that the screen doesn't fall out and break, and make sure your gloves are lint-free

Too late! Guess I should've bought some of those green gloves.

Neogeo is not good enough? WTF? I'll say that again, WHAT THE FUCK? How could the neogeo emu be any better?

Why is this review even linked on the main page with large text?

craigix posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
Neogeo is not good enough? WTF? I'll say that again, WHAT THE FUCK? How could the neogeo emu be any better?

Why is this review even linked on the main page with large text?

I was just as amazed as you. Also especially with the new one that came out today. It's even better. I didn't even think it could get any better than it previously was, but damn pepone outdid himself yet again.

Craigix - here's an outline of his NeoGeo woes:

* You need to overclock to get full-speed with 22050Hz sound.. MetalSlug needed to be all of 250Mhz..! hmm.

* Playing with the default sound option works well.. but errr he like to be able to change the sound and clockspeed manually

* Rage2X does just that, but (!) he finds it confusing...

* Oh, and it froze a couple of times.

Back