The Title Says There's No Such Thing As A Stupid Question

joeeoh

Ello I have a first edition GP2X (don't mean to brag) but since I've had it I never updated the firmware (stupid me) so that means I still have the very first firmware the GP2X ever came out with. So I was wondering (since I've never done anything like this before) do I have to start from the very first firmware update and work myself up or can I just download the latest one and all will be good?

Please help!,

Lame-o :D

You can just upgrade ... each FW upgrade has all the stuff needed ... from any verison to any version ... you can even downgrade if you like (Up yours SONY!) :)

TelcoLou posted on May 22 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
You can just upgrade ... each FW upgrade has all the stuff needed ... from any verison to any version ... you can even downgrade if you like (Up yours SONY!) :)
So I'm just checking, but I can go ahead and install 2.0.0 on my GP2X?

P.S. I also read that GP2X has WiFi with 2.0.0 it is a lie correct? cuz thats like impossible

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you can just install 2.0.
Since 2.0 usb host is officialy supported, so you can use a usb wifi stick if you have the right drivers.

Vimacs posted on May 22 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
yes you can just install 2.0.
Since 2.0 usb host is officialy supported, so you can use a usb wifi stick if you have the right drivers.
Wow thats amazing! So I dont need any software in order to use the wi fi stick... wait what CAN u do with the Wifi stick? Internet browse? play online games? what?

The simplest answer would be to network wirelessly. What you can do within that scope has not been really defined.

yaustar posted on May 23 2006 at 02:33 AM said:
The simplest answer would be to network wirelessly. What you can do within that scope has not been really defined.
Ah... well I am having a problem updating the firmware I followed the gp2x maual on the website which told me 2 put the files in the root directory of the sd card which I did. Then plug it in and hit the power while holding down start and select and I've done this about 12 times and nothing happens.

Please help! Again!

P.S. I now tried upgrading to 1.4.0 and that didn't work either

Is your SD card formatted to FAT 32? If it's not, it probably won't work for upgrading firmware. If you haven't done that already, make sure to do so.

If that doesn't work, it's possible your SD card isn't compatable with firmware updates. Check the link below to make sure your SD card isn't one that's known to be incompatable.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

Even if your card is incompatable, there are alternate updaters in the firmware section of the file archives which should work with any card. So far, the latest firmware that is available with an alternate updater is 1.4.0, but even that is a significant improvement over the original firmware, and 2.0 should have an alternate updater eventually.

Serith posted on May 23 2006 at 02:14 PM said:
Is your SD card formatted to FAT 32? If it's not, it probably won't work for upgrading firmware. If you haven't done that already, make sure to do so.

If that doesn't work, it's possible your SD card isn't compatable with firmware updates. Check the link below to make sure your SD card isn't one that's known to be incompatable.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

Even if your card is incompatable, there are alternate updaters in the firmware section of the file archives which should work with any card. So far, the latest firmware that is available with an alternate updater is 1.4.0, but even that is a significant improvement over the original firmware, and 2.0 should have an alternate updater eventually.
Ok I checked, its compatible... how do I format it for FAT 32?

YES! IT WORKED! I DID IT WITHOUT CRASHING MY SYSTEM THANX PPLS!

P.S. can I remove all the firmware Version 2. files on my SD card now or do I have to leave them on there

Back