Gp2X First Version

Trasher64

Still Fresh
Hello everyone, I'm new around here. It's nice to meet you all!

Recently i bought a GP2X from the net(used, but been only used for 3hrs, and its shining like a new one). I think it's the very first version of GP2X as it says 2005 and some other text which I cannot remember and I dont have the console around me at the moment. Anyway, the firmware is 1.01 version. I guess it should be updated. Which firmware should I get? 2.0 or 3.0? Can I update straight from 1.01 to 3.0? I've read numerous topics where people saying they've bricked their console during firmware update and I dont want that to happen to me since I just got the console and the gp2x's are very rare here! I've noticed that the GP2x eats a lot of batteries, but I'm planning on to get good rechargable batteries in a few days. Unfortunately I dont have that AC adapter. Where could I possibly get one in finland? I read that the AC adapter is a must have during firmware update. :<

Also, when I try to view pictures the console freezes for a few secs and then comes back to the front page. Why's that? Some pictures work some doesnt. Not to mention that when I turn off the SNES emulator, the screen goes nuts when it's back in the front page. This only happens when exiting the SNES emu. I think the emu was called PocketSNES. Just another firmware issue? C64 and NES runs great. No sound problems or anything and they work like a charm. Which I'm really happy about :)

Please help me out!

-Harry

As far as firmwares go, you should put on Open2x. It's superior to all official firmwares and installation is a breeze.

If you want to go with an official firmware, then get 2.0.0 and then patch it to 2.1.0. Firmwares beyond this point started to have significantly longer boot times, so 2.1.x is about as good as it gets.

Definitely get some good rechargeables before doing this, 2000mAh or higher will do. Good luck :)

Heya, thanks for the quick reply!

Open2x? Sounds interesting. It really is better than the firmwares out there? I might aswell hop in to that right away then. Can I jump there right from 1.01?

I was actually planning on getting GP ReCyko chargables. Anyone tried those out yet?

-Harry :)

Back