The Pandora Button

Nupfi

Hey guys and girls!
Just wanted to know what exactly the Pandora Button does?
I think it would be great to map all emulators "main menue" on this button, so that you dont have to remember 50 different key kombinations to bring the settings up.
Has been a PITA on the WIZ, and would make life much easier if every developer would stick to the same key binding...
So, what do you think? :)

It's an escape key. When held down while pushing power button to the right, it does a hard manual reboot when locked. If this fails, battery needs to be removed for a minute and then properly replaced.

In regard to the Wiz, I can see why you need a button like that. With that Pandora, we don't need that Korean Won Tomfoolery. Sorry, I actually had a Pomegranite/Cardomon Soju drink tonight.

Peace & Soju,

LInk

Is it possible to remap the pandora button to any function you want..... Cant wait to be playing good old amiga emulation :)....

I think it was said that the Pandora button is on an interrupt though it may just be a regular GPIO line, I forget. Either way, the Pandora button is meant to have a specific use on the Pandora and remapping it, while I'm sure is possible, may not actually be a good idea.

Panda button is managed via pndevmapperd in /etc/pandora/Conf/eventmap leading to op_power.sh

in xfce it pops up he menu, or if held for a few secs will bring up a one killer window, which is handy since it'll knock fullscreen sdl apps into windowed mode so you can kill them

in minimenu/etc, it kills the current pnd sothe menu can return

jeffphone

edit: op_menu.sh I think. Too early :)

Nupfi said:
Hey guys and girls!
Just wanted to know what exactly the Pandora Button does?
I think it would be great to map all emulators "main menue" on this button, so that you dont have to remember 50 different key kombinations to bring the settings up.
Has been a PITA on the WIZ, and would make life much easier if every developer would stick to the same key binding...
So, what do you think? :)
When they were designing the Pandora and asking for ideas on the forum, that was the first thing I asked for. It was so damn annoying having to check the readme's and remember the key combo's every time.

@skeezix - How does it shut the programs down, using the Linux kill command? or does it do it in a nicer way by sending a quit command of some type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
When they were designing the Pandora and asking for ideas on the forum, that was the first thing I asked for. It was so damn annoying having to check the readme's and remember the key combo's every time.

@skeezix - How does it shut the programs down, using the Linux kill command? or does it do it in a nicer way by sending a quit command of some type?
TripMonkey,

It asks which program you want to KILL when you press and hold it.

I forgot to mention that in XFCE it takes you back to the desktop in my post above. Others have covered that base, I find the Pandora button useful this way for multitasking, changing CPU speed, etc.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
TripMonkey,

I forgot to mention that in XFCE it takes you back to the desktop in my post above. Others have covered that base, I find the Pandora button useful this way for multitasking, changing CPU speed, etc.
Cheers for the info MJ.
Seems like a nice way to do it, but what I was worried about is that some programs might not save the latest progress if you were to kill the program instead of shutting it down like normal.

The kill command wasn't really made to end programs gently. It was made to kill miss behaving or frozen programs so that they don't bring your computer to a stand still.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Mjlink said:
TripMonkey,

Cheers for the info MJ.
Seems like a nice way to do it, but what I was worried about is that some programs might not save the latest progress if you were to kill the program instead of shutting it down like normal.

The kill command wasn't really made to end programs gently. It was made to kill miss behaving or frozen programs so that they don't bring your computer to a stand still.

It only kills the program in Minimenu. In xfce, it brings you back to the desktop, and allows you to kill whatever you want. (which could be nothing)

-God Ginrai

would love an xbox 360 style dashboard effect mid application :p showing.. battery, new emails, etc :p i feel another concept brewing :p
pandorabutton.jpg

eidt added my 2 cents :p just dream work with the email/ im notifier :p

Back