THE NUMBERS IMAGE THREAD!

pelican-strong-waterproof-laptop-lifetime-case.jpg

This is to commemorate us hitting 1099 yesterday and the day before, which I believe is the new high water mark! (Seems we're back at 1098 now, so I'm cheating a little.)

1099-012-mt.jpg

so I'm cheating a little
Nah, that's all good. Stay human. What would be cheating is a script that would check the ticker and fire an imacros macro that did the post for you...

Nah, that's all good. Stay human. What would be cheating is a script that would check the ticker and fire an imacros macro that did the post for you...

Now that you say it, even with pure scraping you should be able to achieve decent results. I wonder how few lines of Python I could get away with...

Is anyone else amused by the gigantic coil of cables coming down from the desk and into the floor? That adds a whole new meaning to 'oops, I kicked a cable'.

is that a punch tape reader? and the tape he is holding? back in 1983 when i was a CNC programmer our Laser had to be programmed by punched tape....so much better now!

Yes, that's quite possible, but I can't find out explicitly how data was entered into that machine. Punched cards go back further (they originated from programmable jacquard looms), but you need quite a complex assembly to feed them in one by one, while paper tape just needs a few sprocket wheels to pull the tape along, so I think card feeders came about once machines were installed to be fed by secretaries in offices and computing undergraduates in universities, while the 1101 was designed by and used by the military.

That machine might actually have had one wheel too few, so he was probably tensioning the tape as it entered the machine.

Edit: Or more concisely, punched cards were an IBM thing. Everyone else stuck with paper tape.

Last edited:
Edit: Or more concisely, punched cards were an IBM thing. Everyone else stuck with paper tape.

Which then brings us back to the player piano - which if you think about it was the digital music file equivalent of its day.

Seems we never did any numbers past 1105. Well, the numbers went down and today they've come back up to the point where I can post this:
1415194-large.jpg

It seems to be a Czech (or likely Czechoslovak given the vintage) Mig-21f 'balalaika' numbered 1106.

There's also a fantastic 1930s car called the Packard 1106 Twelve (it's got a V12 engine) but I couldn't find any pictures of it that showed the number prominently enough.

Back