The New Dingo A330

Reo said:
elinscheid said:
I agree with Craigix. I've been using my A320 while waiting for the Pandora and it has been a nice little machine. But I don't want an incremental update. Instead I will have the Pandora. This new device doesn't even match what the Pandora can do so why bother.
Don't think of it as the A320's successor, think of it as a new model of the Dingoo. It's somewhat like how Sony made new PSP models with slightly better features, but it's nearly the same thing.

I understand what you are saying. I have both a Gameboy Advance SP (backlit) and a Gameboy Advance Micro. I didn't need to get the Micro but it was so small and neat looking I couldn't help myself. Lesson learned, I won't purchase a new Dingoo unless the specs are vastly improved. Even after I get my Pandora I will continue to use my 320 from time to time. So I understand why they decided to make the 330, but I don't have a reason to purchase it.

Last edited by a moderator:
flatmush said:
quadomatic said:
As far as I'm concerned, if Dingux doesn't install on the A330, it's worthless. Hopefully if it doesn't work from day one, booboo will be able to get it to work.

I don't understand that, for one the hardware is so easy to access and the firmware so easy to reverse that making the required changes to dingux should be trivial, but this is a handheld, the native OS can execute programs just the same as dingux, there's no real reason to worry about linux.

I probably should've been more clear that I do expect that it should work with Dingux...more like a worst-case-scenario worry.

Still, I can't understand why they would put out this kind of a product (...then again, profit motive of course). It looks like every other worthless Chinese PMP.

flatmush said:
quadomatic said:
As far as I'm concerned, if Dingux doesn't install on the A330, it's worthless. Hopefully if it doesn't work from day one, booboo will be able to get it to work.

I don't understand that, for one the hardware is so easy to access and the firmware so easy to reverse that making the required changes to dingux should be trivial, but this is a handheld, the native OS can execute programs just the same as dingux, there's no real reason to worry about linux.
if i'm not wrong, the native OS is running in kernel mode - which means you can control everything, which may be very kewl. But i see uCos II sources and its Jz implementation : this latter is rather crappy. For instance, request_irq has an int return in its signature, but when the function succeeds to allocate an irq, it doesn't return anything : you cannot trust the returned value ! I wonder if the native OS fixes this bug.

the a330 supports dingux in the same way the a320 does apparently.
there are loads of a330 for sale on ebay atm.

10.jpg

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 199
Photoshopped, or the screen's not in straight... Actually, if the build quality's anything like the picture implies, it'll be horrible :S

yeah i noticed that and assumed it was just that the screen wasnt positioned properly. tbh the entire thing screams of a horrible, rushed, cheap attempt by former dingoo digital staff to out do their former employers... and it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

gibberish said:
yeah i noticed that and assumed it was just that the screen wasnt positioned properly. tbh the entire thing screams of a horrible, rushed, cheap attempt by former dingoo digital staff to out do their former employers... and it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

Agreed, the more I read about the whole thing, the more it looks like this is just an attempt by a spin off company to cash in. In fact, I've just ordered a new A320 to replace my broken one. I'll live with the dodgy shoulder buttons, at least the units are put together reasonably well.

So the A330 isn't real? Why is it so hard to find this stuff out? You think that the real company would say it's real or it isn't. If Pandora assembly doesn't start by the end of next week then I might get a Dingo but I'll stick to the old one as I don't think the A330 is real.

I'm still a little confuzed about this. There are two separate companies each with an A330 supposedly being released. One is from Dingoo Tech wich looks like a small PSP. The other is from Shenzhen Dingoo Digital otherwise known as the HD7200. Is this the current story?

second exodous said:
So the A330 isn't real? Why is it so hard to find this stuff out? You think that the real company would say it's real or it isn't. If Pandora assembly doesn't start by the end of next week then I might get a Dingo but I'll stick to the old one as I don't think the A330 is real.

I think the A330 is not the real/true Dingoo A320 successor. It's just the other company (Dingoo Tech HK) trying f*ck sh*t up for Shenzhen Dingoo Digital, before the real thing arrives.

I did some digging into this on the dingoonity forum and it's all a bit odd. Shenzhen Dingoo Digital were the original company who made the A320. Dingoo Tech appeared last year and is basically a company made up of all of the people who actually designed the A320 and who know how it works.

The hardware in the A330 is identical to the A320, apart from the addition of another 32mb of RAM and a wireless receiver for the remote control. It appears as though the CPU is overclocked as standard now.
The current firmware is the exact same firmware as what is used on the A320 and doesn't currently detect the additional RAM. It runs all of the exact same binarys for all of the apps/emulators without any problems.

Some guy has been looking into the wireless receiver in the A330 and it appears as though it might actually be a transceiver, which means it could possibly be used to get a couple of Dingoos talking to each other for multiplayer :D . The wireless controller appears to be linked to everything else through some programmable chip, which interacts with the firmware at a hardware level. This means the controller works in both the original firmware and Dingux as standard. Not all of the buttons on the wireless work yet, but the programmable chip can be updated so this should get sorted.

^^ that's all about as much as I remember :p

The threads I got the info from are:
Review - The Dingoo A330
TADA Presenting The Dingoo-Digital A330
why do the original dingoo team claim that the A330 is a "knock off"?

When I first saw the A330 I thought "eeeew, I'll just try and get hold of a A320 at some point". But after reading up on it, it actually sounds pretty good. They appear to have fixed a number of issues that were in the A330. I'm still put off by the case totally ripping off the PSP, but meh. I'll wait until it's properly released and see if Shenzhen actually come up with anything.

*sigh* I liked that there was chinese handhelds coming out without being ripoffs... I think this is real, but there really isn't a point to upgrading, other than those wireless controllers for multiplayer. But then again, multiplayer would suck on that :p I'm waiting till this is realsed then get the a320 oon the real cheap :)

I dunno, I think the XGP looks better but the GP2X is actually out now.

Wait, that's not what we're talking about, I must be confused.

fishybawb said:
http://www.dingoo.cn/en_news.asp?id=27

hmm... good to know that it is a fake... i was inches away from preordering it. did anyone make the mistake of buying it?

aesir911 said:
fishybawb said:

hmm... good to know that it is a fake... i was inches away from preordering it. did anyone make the mistake of buying it?
It is not a fake. Chinese companies like to split and fight about trade marks and domain names. This is a nice response from a Dingoonity member.

Surkow said:
aesir911 said:
fishybawb said:

It is not a fake. Chinese companies like to split and fight about trade marks and domain names. This is a nice response from a Dingoonity member.

umm... i trust the official dingoo site more.

Back