The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) 10 Minutes Of Gameplay

Ian J

Advanced Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxeKH0YIR0

Damn I wish I could afford a Wii u.

Justice is finally done to Nintendos GFX, the HD games look like cgi movies.

I used to be into FPS big time on the PC but I've grown weary of the constant brown & grey worlds, it's so nice to see vivid colours in games.

The graphics of WW have held up really well, and it is probably one of "N" best looking games of all time. Sadly for me, it is also one of their more lifeless titles. 

I can still remember when WW first debut at E3, and how cool and fun I thought it all looked and how a title like this was long over due. Then I got it on release and the magic held up for about half the game, and by the end, I was forcing myself to complete the job in front of me.

This is one of the best and worse "N" games ever made IMO. They definitely put their all in to the looks of the game, but I thought it lacked heart. It was a very short game, filled up with a bunch of boring and lifeless sailing and treasure hunting segments. I still turn it on from time to time on my Wii, as my son loves it, but I normally turn it off within a few minutes of turning it on.

I really wish this was a new Zelda being released for the WiiU, as I may have bought one during the holidays for a new game(I did that for the original Wii), but for this game, I'll have to pass. Sadly, this will probably give them a decent sales boost when released, but I'll hold out for a new title.

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxeKH0YIR0

Damn I wish I could afford a Wii u.

Justice is finally done to Nintendos GFX, the HD games look like cgi movies.

I used to be into FPS big time on the PC but I've grown weary of the constant brown & grey worlds, it's so nice to see vivid colours in games.
The Wii U isnt really that good. Just wait a year or so and get a used one for cheap

I am actually unimpressed. Comparing this against the original intro side by side, the only difference that really stands out is that the new HD version has cloud shadows.

There are other little things, of course, like the colours are different and the textures seem to be higher resolution, but so what? The geometry is identical, cliffs are still jagged polygons; the cell shading seems to have been overpronounced, much higher contrast than before, like everything is just being lit by a really bright spotlight, and then toned down in photoshop; there's no change in character animations at all.

It's like they took the original, redrew some of the textures, and then just rendered it at a higher resolution. That's not an HD remake, that's not an HD remake at all.

I just recently pre-ordered the WiiU zelda wind waker bundle from GameStop. I never really played Wind Waker on the NGC, as the art style turned me off, even with my love for Zelda games. But after playing the same art style zelda games on the NDS, I am ok with giving it a first chance now, and it was a good opportunity for me to finally purchase a WiiU, which had to happen sooner or later. Of course I'd still like a new Zelda title coming as soon as possible, hopefully something that looks like the WiiU zelda tech demo that was shown off, and I've high hopes after these...

4bp3w.jpg

It wasn't an engine, there's no code. The guy was simply recreating the map in 3D Studio Max. There's no benefit to finishing it other than it being a neat art project.

I have to agree^

There's a fine level of detail in the HD version, that isn't present in the GC version, but that was to be expected. But overall, this looks like it should be a 20-30 dollar game. Honeslty, the GC version looks more colorful and bright. The HD version looks more detailed, but also looks faded.

Sadly, there's a new generation who has never played the original and a ton of Fanboys who are willing to pay full price for a basic translation, so I'm sure this will be a HUGE seller during the holidays. I'm in neither camp, so "N" can kiss my arse on this one, NO SALE!

Chris

My GC with component cables and progressive scan mode makes the game look awesome and still colorful.

My GC with component cables and progressive scan mode makes the game look awesome and still colorful.
Damn, I miss my GC. Besides the original unit I bought at launch, I later upgraded to the "Panasonic Q" unit. That was hands down the sexiest handheld or console I've ever owned. It's probably one of the only gaming regrets I have, as I sold it years ago.

Chris

Back