The infamous USB port!!

I've now plugged it into the back of the pc (usb root hub). all it shows is a picture of a yellow and black exclamation mark and 'USB Root Hub'. No mention of gamepark.

I'm using the back usb's coz i've probably buggered up the front ones by deleting them on device manager and reinstalling them.

In fact, I did that with all of them. :(

My friend is a computer technician and i'm gonna see if he can get it running on his PC.

I bet i've really screwed up my PC with this GP32 :angry: :angry: :angry:

yellow and black exclamation mark over 'USB Root Hub' is a bad thing - it means you've completely shafted your usb ports. Best thing you can do is uninstall them (right click) and then right click again and "Scan for hardware changes". Hopefully, it'll recover them. THEN insert your gp32 cable and see what it says. If it says nothing, right click the text file, install, and then reboot before trying to use pclink,etc

i'm going to paste what it says in the GP32USB file. it might help people to help me to get my USB working.

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

Thats all I needed to see. You got the Win2k/XP drivers, not the Win98 drivers.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that you really really really really really really should upgrade to Win2k/XP. Win98 is an abomination, and WinME, jesus, theres no word to describe how bad that is.

Damn you craigix!

The windows xp drivers came from the CD that comes with the gp32 when you buy from gbax.com

I'm not giving up yet!!!!

I'd also like to thank everybody whose tried to help as well :D eg Raven and squidge

remember, not fixed yet!

expect more posts shortly....

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2003 at 10:38 AM said:
yellow and black exclamation mark over 'USB Root Hub' is a bad thing - it means you've completely shafted your usb ports. Best thing you can do is uninstall them (right click) and then right click again and "Scan for hardware changes". Hopefully, it'll recover them. THEN insert your gp32 cable and see what it says. If it says nothing, right click the text file, install, and then reboot before trying to use pclink,etc
how do i uninstall them?
i.e, where do i go?

Last edited by a moderator:
goto where you find the yellow and black exclamation mark thingy over usb root hub.

right click

select "Uninstall"

Right click another hardware item (anything)

select "Scan for hardware changes"

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2003 at 09:46 PM said:
goto where you find the yellow and black exclamation mark thingy over usb root hub.

right click

select "Uninstall"

Right click another hardware item (anything)

select "Scan for hardware changes"

I find the yellow and black exclamation mark thingy over usb root hub in 'device manager' in 'system' which is in the 'control panel' in 'Settings'.

No option to uninstall, only to refresh or remove or print.

:unsure: hmmm, any ideas?

yup, if there's no uninstall option, I'd go for the remove one :)

I'm forgetting how different Win98 and the gang is to XP/2K!

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Dec 26 2003 at 11:07 AM said:
i'm going to paste what it says in the GP32USB file. it might help people to help me to get my USB working.

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

Thats all I needed to see. You got the Win2k/XP drivers, not the Win98 drivers.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that you really really really really really really should upgrade to Win2k/XP. Win98 is an abomination, and WinME, jesus, theres no word to describe how bad that is.

that was from the windows 98 driver downloaded from english.gamepark.com

the driver that comes with the CD when you buy from gbax.com has this :

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=USB
ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
provider=%MSFT%
DriverVer=08/05/1999

chicago?

either way my usb root hub is still not right.

Squidge posted on Dec 26 2003 at 12:08 AM said:
Go into PCLink mode, connect up the cable, and then see what Windows is saying is on your USB ports (device manager).

Right, device manager NOW says **yellow exclamation mark** 'GamePark GP32USB'.

On my gp32, the pc link mode is now back to 'now waiting' :D

Yes! back to square one, previously iwas at square -3.

Right, any ideas?

Am seeing friend tomorrow (monday) so we'll see what happens.

On Device manager (in system) under Universal Serial Bus controllers:

instead of having one 'Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller', two 'USB root hub' 's and one 'VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB host Controller' it now has one 'GamePark GP32 USB' and one 'VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB host Controller'.

guess that's a step in the right direction. (I swear i had two USB root hubs... <_< )

in 'GamePark GP32 USB' (yes, with a black and yellow exclamation mark) in 'properties' under 'device status' it says

'The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) could not load the device driver. (Code 2)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver'

That's what i'm a gonna do!

I'm gonna try the W98 one off the gamepark website (even if swiss cheesman says it's for windows XP

"Signature="$Windows NT$" "Thats all I needed to see. You got the Win2k/XP drivers, not the Win98 drivers"

Should i do it in safe mode?

Nope, no safe mode needed but it seems you are having other problems now. Somehow you deleted just about everything related to USB. You REALLY need to get that back in working order first. (without root hubs your usb-ports don't work)

My advice: unplug your Gamepark (and all other USB-devices), remove the 'GamePark GP32 USB' too (you won't loose anything it's not being recognised anyway). Now right-click and choose 'scan for new hardware changes' or reboot your pc, (this should force Windows to redetect the hardware again) and follow the prompts.

DO NOT TRY TO GET THE GAMEPARK WORKING OR INSTALLED BEFORE YOUR ROOT HUBS ARE BACK.

OK, i was reading all your posts, and following, and trying to figure out what was going on with mine also. And my hubs were fine, and i didn't seem to have any problems. Then, i noticed something that i had noticed before but forogt about. It was a cylinder-shaped plastic thing covering part of the wire, and the wire was wrapped around it. I fianlly got it off, and to my surprise, the inside was lined with 2 magnets! There was my problem, and i am posting this hoping that no other moron makes the same mistake that this moron did ;D. Also, i bought my GP32 from Lik-sang, just fyi.

Aydo, I have the same 'cylinder-shaped plastic thing' you describe but if you open it up and hold anything iron close to what you call magnets you should notice they are NOT MAGNETIC.

IMO this 'cylinder-shaped plastic thing' just gives some weight to the end (or begin, depending on your view) of your usb cable so the weight of the rest of the cable won't pull the cable from the table/desk.

Hmmmm, this problem has stopped being gp32 related and is now actually a computer techniality. Taking Raven's advice i'm trying to get my USB Root Hub's back to normal before pissing with GP32.

anyway, here's my predictament.

I've identified the driver i need to get it running back to normal again.

It's:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Usbhub.sys

but when i try to reinstall it with this driver, it asks for a information driver file (*.inf) instead and won't accept this one (obviously because it is a system file).

When I try to update my driver it says the location of the driver is:

C:\WINDOWS\INF\USB.INF

surely my driver should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Usbhub.sys

*******scratch that*********

i just went on 'Driver File Details' on my Usb Root Hub Properties and the driver files it's running IS C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Usbhub.sys (plus it is linked to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (NTKERN.vxd) .

my friend (whose USB Root Hub say 'This device is working properly' in his USB Root Hub properties) has exactly the same driver files (except he has another driver file linked called C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBCEGP.SYS

Technically I'm thinking mine SHOULD work fine.

My Usb Root Hub 'properties' says 'The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) could not load the device driver. (Code 2)'

Updating driver does not seem to work. Still has same yellow and black exclamation mark with same message under properties.

My computer expert friend is going to Remote Desktop my computer and look about to see whats happening in a few weeks as he's really busy.

any help from here would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem on my machine, two drives, one running ME one running XP. Eventually gave up and bought a smart card reader for 10 quid.

Doesn't let me install .FPK files but emulators, roms & FXE files are fine.

Back