The HOTFIXES

Thanks for the feedback on my problem. I updated with the PND version of the HF6 from HF5. Though after trying to downgrade I did find my machine became more stable. I will look into doing the full flash with the other non PND version of HF6, after the weekend's Replay expo show.

Just to recap, you extract the full flash HF6 into the root directory of the SD card and have it in the left SD slot, then hold down the right shoulder button, then boot up, right?

But glad that the problem can be cured by used an alternative HF !

Yep, I believe so. When holding the right shoulder down on boot, it'll show a small menu, where you just select boot from SD card or something like that. It'll take a while as it writes the HF to the NAND; I think there's a full readme in the extracted file.

Regarding PicoDrive: Deleting the appdata directory solved the problem. So you can be at ease upgrading to HF6, IMO.

I agree with this.

Upon upgrading to HF6 (full flash), I found a few apps did not work. I found that removing the appdata folder for each of the affected apps worked.

Just make sure to backup any save games/whatever so you can put them back later.

I've had the same issue of menu slow down Esn describes with everything since HF4.

It delays being able to quickly switch tasks and is annoying. I also get more instances of PND's failing to mount in later HF versions. However HF4 has issues with keyboard shortcuts randomly not working, which is fixable in later HF versions (and which will be eradicated by XFCE4.8, which I believe Yars will be based on?).

So for now I boot HF6 from SD for charging and updating via Panorama or PNDStore and leave HF4 on the NAND which I tend to favour for useage.

Regarding PicoDrive: Deleting the appdata directory solved the problem. So you can be at ease upgrading to HF6, IMO.

I agree with this.

Upon upgrading to HF6 (full flash), I found a few apps did not work. I found that removing the appdata folder for each of the affected apps worked.

Just make sure to backup any save games/whatever so you can put them back later.

Always the best thing to test first when any app suddenly ceases working. Some setting somewhere has got messed up and the newly created appdata folder seems to cure it.

Hmm, I wonder what caused those menu slowdowns.

Is it the icons in the menu?

They can be switched off in the settings.

Hmm, I wonder what caused those menu slowdowns.

Is it the icons in the menu?

They can be switched off in the settings.
Nope. That's definitely not the cause.

You can test it for yourself. Turn off the icons. Then open any app (i.e. CPU-speed-change), close it, open start menu, press "up" on your d-pad. Note how it scrolls up for a while, then pauses, then scrolls up, then pauses, then continues scrolling up. Something is very heavily using the system resources that should not be from about 5-12 seconds after you close an app. Before HF5, it would never pause.

It's not just *menu* slowdowns. The whole system briefly freezes after an app is closed. Opening the start menu is the easiest way to notice it, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
could it be due to the PND log file being written in the background by any chance?

Hm, then it would only happen after you ran a program.

So that should be easy to find out.

Can't be something big - we mostly changed drivers and scripts with more recent firmware version. The OS itself hasn't changed, so it couldn't be anything like that.

could it be due to the PND log file being written in the background by any chance?

Okay, looks like that could very well the the case.

The hang always occurs about 5 - 7 seconds after you close a program.

No hangs otherwise.

How was logfile creation working before HF5?

Okay, looks like that could very well the the case.

The hang always occurs about 5 - 7 seconds after you close a program.

No hangs otherwise.

How was logfile creation working before HF5?

Could this be what goes on when exiting thunar as well under minimenu? It takes a long time going back to minimenu on exit. You don't notice this when in XFCE but then you are always in the GUI not returning to it.

Hm, then it would only happen after you ran a program.

So that should be easy to find out.

Can't be something big - we mostly changed drivers and scripts with more recent firmware version. The OS itself hasn't changed, so it couldn't be anything like that.
I'm glad that the cause seems to have been found. :) Any progress since then? Who was responsible for writing the log writing code before HF5?

Back