The GP32 Filesystem (and other stuff)

Compyfox

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
First... I don't have the GP32 yet, but I'm already interested in it's core systems (cause a friend of mine already has one, but not the time for readinginto that stuff). Well... at least a bit.

The GP32 has a filesystem containing the following folders:

GP32:\
- GAME
- MP3
- GPSYS
- GPMM
- GPETC

Okay... I know that the MP3 folder stands for the uploadable MP3 (I guess with the alternate file uploader it's possible to use files with more than just 8.3 letters). The GAME is the place where I put my PD/Demos/Games in it, right?

Let's take a step further.
I've got this MP3 Player Beta from the GP32 developers. It's mp3.fxe
Now... where do I have to put them in to replace the standard MP3 player from the original firmware when I don't want to patch my GP32. Is it even possible to replace the old player against the new one or do I have to load it with the FreeLoader as "additional one"? Or should I better stick to the "Media Player Beta5" (well... don't need OGG or WMA that much)?

And my last question:
Can someone tell me what's in the folders on the SMC. I mean... the GPSYS, GPMM and GPETC doesn't come from nothing, right?

Thanks in advance. =)

.FXE files go in the GPMM folder

There is no way to replace the standard MP3 player with the new beta that you have. You have to start it from Free Launcher.

I believe that commercial software (Games that you purchase and download) go in the GAME folder. My GPSYS and GPETC are always empty so I'm not sure what goes there. I think program settings and stuff might go there.

GAME : commercial apps and Doom WAD for eg
MP3 : guess
GPETC : JPEG GIF TXT......all your own data files to e viewed with IW.fxe, TW.fxe...
GPSYS : Remain always empty (maybe used by software when running)
GPMM : all homebrew games, emu, 'roms' or any data required by a free games (exept Doom)

see you ;)

Thanks both of you.

Now two things I'm curious about:

1) The MP3 Player:
Which one should I use, the Media Player Beta5 or the one from the GP32 Team? Do both have the ability to play "long filename" MP3s or is it still limited to 8.3. And what about the ID3 tags? Just minor questions, but it's interesting to know. =)

The Bitrate isn't important. As long as 112-128 CBR goes (for portable systems more than enough), then everything is alright.

2) Installing of programs.
So... let's say I have the PCengine Emulator and want to install it. Do I simply put it into the root of GPMM or can I make an own folder for it and FreeLoader recognises it too? Something like this:

GP32:\
- GPMM\PCEngine\PCEngine.fxe
- GPMM\PCEngine\CARTS\Games.zip

TIA again for the infos.

1) Not sure what you mean. Your best MP3 playing option is the team K2YAA MP3 player, it's a beta that never ended up in the firmware. It works very well with playlist support etc. Almost all bitrates are supported. ID3 tags show up as expected (v1.1 at least).

However, the SMC itself is constrained to 8.3, so your mp3s will have to be 8.3 when uploaded. Of course the ID3 tags make it easier to browse them. Use a batch renamer or an SMC reader to convert a lot of files to 8.3.

2) AFAIK free launcher only bothers to check GPMM, no subdirectories. PacRom and Wind-Ups both support launching FXEs from any directory. However, I happen to know that GPengine can load roms from anywhere. So your best bet is to copy gpengine.fxe to GPMM but put all your roms in a subdirectory like GPMM\PCE. Note that GPengine doesn't support ZIPped roms, yet.

K2YAA mp3 player - here

GPengine - here

MultiFW2 which includes Pacrom and Wind-ups - here with gp32 firmware flashing tutorial

Hope that helps,

- Rico

Last edited by a moderator:
Helps a lot, thanks.
So... the K2YAA player can play use different bitrates. But I guess VBR isn't possible, right? Well... gotta check that out as soon as I have a chance to mess with a GP32 (from my friend or mine). =)

Back