The Gp2X Hack 2X Model Is Complete!

If you are all interested in the whys, hows and whatfors I'm sure i can snag a few pics of the guts! I still have a little finishing up to do with it (some fitment issues because of overspray, and needing new LEDs for the wedge of light) but as tkeely said, it is basically done at this point! For those of you wanting to know about the battery, it is a 3.7v lithium polymer battery with a protection circuit, connects where the original AAs did.

Also! If anybody knows where i can get a new screen protector or better yet an actual glass one, let me know! the original one i have is scratched and warped slighly :(

triton said:
If you are all interested in the whys, hows and whatfors I'm sure i can snag a few pics of the guts! I still have a little finishing up to do with it (some fitment issues because of overspray, and needing new LEDs for the wedge of light) but as tkeely said, it is basically done at this point! For those of you wanting to know about the battery, it is a 3.7v lithium polymer battery with a protection circuit, connects where the original AAs did.

Love to see some more pics! I also like to know how you charge the battery. What is the capacity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a 2500mah lipoly and should be good for around 5+ hours of gameplay because of a higher voltage and less drop than AAs. will charge via a lipoly smart charger thru the DC input jack on the gp2x! I will try to get some more pics when i redo the lightbar and dpad wiring (as soon as my LEDs get here!)

tkeely4777 said:
http://showcase.benheck.com/triton_project-hack2x_61.html

Here it is, folks: close to two-plus years of blood and sweat! The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not based off a F200 model! This was a project I commissioned a friend to do for me, and it's nearly complete! Check it out!

This is the handheld GPH should make. Too bad they don't.

triton said:
Its a 2500mah lipoly and should be good for around 5+ hours of gameplay because of a higher voltage and less drop than AAs. will charge via a lipoly smart charger thru the DC input jack on the gp2x! I will try to get some more pics when i redo the lightbar and dpad wiring (as soon as my LEDs get here!)

Sounds great, very tempting to try to demolish my F100 with this hack and if that fails go for my F200. Can you play and charge at the same time?

Should be able to, i cant think why you wouldnt be able to anyway, it has a protection circuit for the lipoly battery installed so Technically you could get away without the lipoly smart charger, but i would rather be safe than sorry especially when it comes to li-poly and li-ion batteries lol

triton could you post pictures of the inside near dpad. What did you use to have it correctly respond to presses? Is a small circuit board required like in the ngage mod?

edit: now i see that you probably rewired the nes board's dpad area over to the gp2x. anywhere i can find a tutorial on doing something similar?

Shifty said:
triton could you post pictures of the inside near dpad. What did you use to have it correctly respond to presses? Is a small circuit board required like in the ngage mod?

edit: now i see that you probably rewired the nes board's dpad area over to the gp2x. anywhere i can find a tutorial on doing something similar?
I used the Dpad board portion out of a broken gamecube controller, trimmed down to fit. since its been painted i am having to do some tweaking to get everything to fit like it did in the first demo video, and i plan on rewiring it with some smaller wire for a better fit

triton said:
Shifty said:

I used the Dpad board portion out of a broken gamecube controller, trimmed down to fit. since its been painted i am having to do some tweaking to get everything to fit like it did in the first demo video, and i plan on rewiring it with some smaller wire for a better fit

I've got a gamecube controller, but I've been having a real hard time getting the fucker to open. I'm guessing the board is smaller than NES and GBC which is why you used it? GBC opened up pretty nicely and I'm going to be using the Dpad. Once I desolder the joystick though, I'm not going to know what to do with the Gamecube's board. Do I just use normal copper wire and connect it? Could you tell me how this is done or point me to a guide? Having trouble finding things like this.

I used a NES dpad, but i had to file one of the edges on the base of it to get it to clear properly

Back