GP2X The Gp2x Bounty - Make Your Wishlist Here!

Vynx

Here's the idea; List some programs, applications, or games that you would like ported/made for the GP2X. If one particular program gets enough support, then i'll go about trying to set up a bounty for it - a fund which members of the GP2X community can donate into to give a GP2X developer the incentive to create it. Remember, if it's a game you would like ported, it must have freely available source code.

1: Nothing silly please - PS2 emulators, some recently released PC or Console game, or anything like that. Keep them sensible
2: If you'd be willing to donate to a program you have suggested, just stick WTD (Willing to donate) next to it with a cash value if you know how much you'd be willing to put into a bounty for that program
3: Support each other's ideas. The more support a program gets, the more likely it will be chosen for a Developer Bounty
4: Nothing is finalised yet, but if this bounty idea gains enough support I can't see why it wouldn't go ahead

Here are a few of my own personal suggestions:

- Flash File Support*
- PDF Support*
- Board Game compilation (Checkers, chess, etc)
- A media player with more file support
- Text adventure engine (scriptable text games) WTD $10

* I'm aware these have already been done, but not to a very good degree at this time.

I'm sure you can all come up with better suggestions than I have though, so suggest away :)

Program capable of smoothly viewing iPod video files as downloaded from iTunes - WTD $50

Some things that are more, some things that are less possible/easy to do.
  • Textadventure/Interactive Fiction Interpreter ( Shouldn't be too hard. )
-One with a good, fast user interface. ( Like choosable commands or something. )
-Should support: Inform/Tads/Hugo ( The most common ones. )
  • Fullspeed Snes Emulation ( Could be possible. )
  • RPG Maker Interpreter ( Hard to do. )
  • Macromedia Flash Player
-For games like N.

Ports of:

• Super Mario War
  • Nethack ( I know there's someone working on it.)
  • Jazz Jackrabbit 2 ( Don't know about that.. )
  • FreeCraft/Stratagus ( RTS Game Engine )
  • A way to play something like Liero ( Realtime Worms with some real action )
Thanks for reading,
Dave

Program capable of smoothly viewing iPod video files as downloaded from iTunes - WTD $50

Can't be done, they are protected. No one has found away around the new iTunes 6's protection either.

But I would like a video player that could both play standard .mp4 and h.264 (both of which are formates the iPod supports). WTD $10

Very close to full speed SNES at 200mhz. WTD $5

Full speed Neo Geo emulator with full audio at something under 233mhz. WTD $10

^(all apps need to have TV-out also)
Prices are in USD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, let's start the list. If you want to add something to a description, tell me with the number of the project. Comments if projects are at all possible would be appreciated, too. I'll add all suggested projects to this list and try to keep it up to date. Tell me if I leave something out.

1. Flash player. Should play a significant part of music videos and movies at full speed, feature fully remappable buttons and mouse emulation.
2. Great movie player. Should play iPod videos (h.264 encoded), PSP videos, most digital camera videos and most of the most common codecs and containers at full speed. Should have great controlls and options. Has to be open source. Should also support music files and have music player functionality such as switching off the screen.
3. PDF Viewer. Should support most pdfs, support color and have reasonably fast scrolling and zooming as well as awesome controls.
4. Stunts clone. A 3D racing game with the same functionality as the PC classic Stunts with improved graphics, handling and enhanced modability such as making your own cars and track pices. Special rules for this one: The game can be sold for a price of up to 20$ (up to 30$ for an SD card version). However, everyone who donated 15$ or more will get a free copy. (They will, of course, not get the amount they donated more back.)
5. Board game compilation. (Checkers, chess, etc)
6. Fullspeed SNES emulator. Should run 90% of major games at full speed with sound.
7. RPG Maker Interpreter. Should run games made with the RPG Maker software on the GP2X. I've got no idea if this is even possible.
8. Super Mario War port. You should probably ask them about it directly, they seem to be 2X-friendly: http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/
9. Nethack port.
10. Stratagus port. Creative control solution to replace the mouse is required.
11. A realtime Worms-like game.
12. A 3D library for Python.
13. A CPC464 emulator.
14. Full speed Neo Geo emulator. With full audio at something under 233mhz.
15. A webbrowser. Should be able to browse websites online and offline. All basic html should be supported. Should include rendering options for optimized browsing on the small screen and with the buttons.
16. GBA emulator. Should reach playable speed (about 30 FPS average) on less demanding games. Note: The deadline on this project will at least be a year!

Things I did not list that were suggested:
Text adventure engine. This has already been done, see http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,55 and http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,868 . However, it could use some improvement and advertisement. If you are really interested, you could learn Nscripter at http://nscripter.insani.org/index.html and maybe write a tutorial so that more people use this.
Text adventure interpreter. There is this one: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,977 If you need more, you could ask Skeezix if he'd be kind enough to port Kronos ( http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/kronos.html ).
Jazz Jackrabbit 2. No source code as far as I can see...
PS1 emulator. It's already heavily being worked on, setting up a bounty would be bullshit. If you want to support the project, send some money to ZodTTD!
ToME, Hengband, Angband, Sangband, Steamband. Nethack is already in the list, lets get that one done first.
Rlyehs GP32 emulators. I think that's up to Rlyeh. Ask him and donate some money to him.
Amiga emu speedup for UFO: Enemy Unknown. This is not general enough to be of interest to more than a few people I think.
Blood port. Ports Require Source Code.

What I am willing to donate:
1. 10$
2. 20$
3. 10$
4. 40$

Complete money list to follow...

gba emulator :), dont call me a noob for saying this, cos i know u all want it
psx emulator - so zodtddd and co. doesnt stop producing his psx emulator cos he knows other stuff will get money

List of who is willing to donate how much for what. Please tell me if any info is wrong. Feel free to post how much you are willing to donate and for what. If the project is already in the list, it would be nice if you could post it's number. If there is a "(?)" behind your amounts, please confirm them in this thread!

Syntax:
Projectnumber. Complete amount so far; donator1: amount, donator2: amount, donator3: amount

1. 10$; OrR: 10$
2. 115$; Spam: 20$, Dzz: 50$, reallynotnick: 10$, OrR: 20$,
iignotus: 10$,
Godmil: 5$
3. 10$; OrR: 10$
4. 40$; OrR: 40$
6. 45$; Godmil: 20$, Spam: 20$, reallynotnick: 5$
12. 5$; dodgyville: 5$
13. 40$; Godmil: 40$
14. 10$; reallynotnick: 10$
15. 5$; Paradox: 5$
16. 70$; iignotus: 30$, Paradox: 30$, Godmil: 10$,

Halfspeed (30fps) or higher GBA emulator w/ sound. It's possible, just not easy by any means. My offer is still on the table. WTD $30

#2 with music player interface (i.e, a better movie and music player). WTD $10

OBTW: The supposed 1 year time frame doesn't bother me one bit.

iignotus said:
Halfspeed (30fps) or higher GBA emulator w/ sound. It's possible, just not easy by any means. My offer is still on the table. WTD $30

put me down for $30 too.

$5 for the web browser too.

Wish Rlyehs emulators were ported over. Really really miss fzx32, the Colecovision/ MSX emulators and the other ones (SMS) as they worked so well on the GP32. Because of these emulators i actually use my GP32 more than the GP2X.

Would loveeeeeeeeee Rlyehs old GP32 emulators to work on the GP2X

2. Great movie player. Should play iPod videos (h.264 encoded), PSP videos, most digital camera videos and most of the most common codecs and containers at full speed. Should have great controlls and options. Has to be open source. Should also support music files and have music player functionality such as switching off the screen.
Heh.

EDIT: Whoah, hang on, $110? Hmm...

Heh.

I expect the h.264 requirement will be the hard part.

- Blood
- Amiga emu speedup (So I can play UFO: Enemy Unknown!) argh :)

I could donate about 20 pounds.

OK, I'm going to update my donations amounts...

2. $5
6. $20
13. $40
16. $10

That's what I'll commit myself to, but I could still donate to other projects if the end result is good (and I'm not too usercentric not to donate to software library projects).

P.s. any chance of making a news post about this, just it's a little hidden in the forums, and I'm sure a lot more people would be willing to add to this discussion if they knew about it.

Heh.

I expect the h.264 requirement will be the hard part.
It runs well on the Zodiac so it should be possible. However, the Zodiac has some 2D hardware that helps...

A frontpage post would probably be good to get some attention...

OrR, as I said in the first post, this is still in idea form - but obviously given the support the thread has, and the support for a better and more functional media player, i'm going to have to consider getting this Bounty Project up and running. We still havn't had any volunteers by a gp2x guru to handle the donation side of things, so unless that's sorted, or people are fine with me handling that, then nothing can go ahead.

Although, I guess I could make a news post urging a GP2X forum guru to step forward to help me with the project, if there's no objections to that, i'll get right on it :)

OrR, as I said in the first post, this is still in idea form - but obviously given the support the thread has, and the support for a better and more functional media player, i'm going to have to consider getting this Bounty Project up and running. We still havn't had any volunteers by a gp2x guru to handle the donation side of things, so unless that's sorted, or people don't trust me to do it, then nothing can go ahead i'm afraid.
There's still a lot to be worked out.

First, as I have stated previously, I actually favor a pledge system backed up with personal information as opposed to an escrow. Note that in a pledge system it would not be allowed to retract a pledge, just that the money wouldn't have to be paid until the bounty conditions were met.

But whatever way it is done, any particular bounty needs a lot more than we have now before it can even really exist:

1: Clear success criteria. You can't just say "great controls and options" unless you appoint somebody to judge what is "great" who is going to be trusted by both a hardworking developer and the people putting up their cash.

2: A method of deciding when the success criteria are met.

3: A method of dealing with (2) when weird things occur like judges dying or whatever.

We're a long ways away from being stuck on figuring out who should hold the money -- weeks at least.

Back