The Free Software Foundation needs our help

Could he not turn the weapons of those who rage against him against themself?
Reading that article makes me believe that RMS has some sort of minor psychological disorder.
Some sort of social incompetence he is not guilty of.
Each organization now has to treat him with respect and must give him special treatment even.
How can those people rage against someone who might have a mental disorder. He needs to be protected!

Reading that article makes me believe that RMS has some sort of minor psychological disorder
I think he's just on the autistic spectrum. He certainly doesn't naturally understand that he might be upsetting someone by what he says or does.

Understanding is a two-way street, and I agree, demonising someone based on a quote or two is not a fair or reasonable way to act. Actually it's more of a reflection on one's self.

How can those people rage against someone who might have a mental disorder. He needs to be protected!
I don't think that is working. Those people are always happy to rage against anyone, with or without disorders, that don't protect them. It's wasted logic. They go on reflexes. They don't argue, they just react. That's what twitter and Co. is for.

I think he's just on the autistic spectrum. He certainly doesn't naturally understand that he might be upsetting someone by what he says or does.
Because if you care that you may be upsetting someone you won't change much anything ever. He might be more accommodating, but then he'd had ended up inventing open source. And he certainly doesn't see many people accommodating him, anyway. Sharing a Google document is unsetting, so maybe the autistics are the Google Drive users ?

I have to admit that I'm sorry for the FSF if they feel like they can't do without one 68 years old member. Has he nominated a successor yet?

He should go on Oprah and apologize to the women of the world.
Are you kidding?

Could he not turn the weapons of those who rage against him against themself?
Reading that article makes me believe that RMS has some sort of minor psychological disorder.
Some sort of social incompetence he is not guilty of.
Each organization now has to treat him with respect and must give him special treatment even.
That is a funny idea. RMS is a weird dirty man but he has lots of good things for libre software:
- dedicated
- uncorrupted
- intelligent
- capable of keeping ideologies apart so that we can support his libre software efforts without supporting his other ideologies

I do not think that he is mentally ill. IMO he is just a weird guy. Anyone who lets himself be deterred from libre software as a whole just because it's most effective proponent happens to be a weird old greasy man probably never really loved libre software in the first place.

Besides, RMS has a true UNIX beard so that is how we know that he is good.

I do not like labels like those. What does it mean to be autistic? It is just a name for a set of symptoms. We already know his symptoms, labeling it "autistic" does nothing useful. He is bad at social interactions, that is all. He clearly has good intentions, so we ought to be capable of forgiving his flaws without needing a special disease name for it. Let him who is without flaws cast the first stone.

I have to admit that I'm sorry for the FSF if they feel like they can't do without one 68 years old member.
Without Stallman there would not be a FSF in the first place. You are acting like he is just some random guy but he is literally the founder and the most important advocate of libre software in the history of libre software.

Besides, it is not about being able to. You are being too black-and-white. They could probably survive without RMS, but getting rid of the founder of the FSF and biggest proponent of libre software would be to their detriment. Just because they can do without does not mean that it will not hamper their effectiveness.

Also, RMS has been falsely accused. He has done nothing wrong. Why would they want to randomly cast out their founder? Just to prove that they can survive without, like some kind of dare game? It would be very improper to cast out their founder and steal his organisation and work just because they think they can.

Has he nominated a successor yet?
I do think about that sometimes, though. RMS may be one of the best or the best, but he will not live forever. Someday we may need a successor. But luckily not today!

Reactions: rSl
He clearly has good intentions, so we ought to be capable of forgiving his flaws without needing a special disease name for it
While agree with your sentiment, autism is not a disease, nor is it something to be ashamed of. I said "spectrum" as it's a line we're all on, and simply affects some people more than others.

I have to admit that I'm sorry for the FSF if they feel like they can't do without one 68 years old member.
I parlty agree but the problem is not about the FSF and RMS. That'd be too easy. The problem now is about the rest of the world. It's no longer RMS active in the FSF or RMS enjoying a well deserved retirement. First because he rejected retirement. And second because the cancel culture is attacking him and the free software supporters are supporting him. So whatever the FSF decides is going to be taking sides. It may have been different, but it is so now. And the cancel culture is a dangerous side to be taking, so they need to be siding with the RMS supporting folk, even more than with RMS himself. We could all live (sad) without RMS, we could even live (badly) without the FSF, but we can't live in a world where anyone that sets out to do something good can be cancelled by baseless accusations and spin, controlled by media groups and social media oligopolies.
Has he nominated a successor yet?
I doubt it. He might do in the most materially pragmatic sense. But in a more ideological sense, it makes little sense. I believe he'd wish that everyone be his successor. That's the joke on Saint Ignucious. He doesn't really want to be a leader, just to speak his mind. If that implies he being a leader, so be it.

Are you kidding
Jein. He should go on Oprah but can't because he wouldn't get a fair chance to represent himself because she's a sexist racist pig pandering to an emotional throng. And she's computer illiterate.

His 'non-apology' apology is the right thing and I know that his transgressions - purported or otherwise - are behind him and he is the man for the job.

He doesn't deserve punishment.

Well, as we know, a few members of the management team resigned:
So they do need new candidates, and one has been nominated:
That reminds me of when I saw that MS was a platinum member of the Linux Foundation. That caught me by surprise. But Linux was never about freedom so I guess maybe it was more predictable than I thought at the time. Linux is free software but Torvalds never cared about freedom as an end in itself.

I hereby publicly apologize, to Linux-SWAT, for my bad taste in jokes.

In my defense: all the references I had were the (Bad) joke Appreciation corner and the Absurdism corner.

Because your apologies are so sincere, I now feel the need to apologize about having required yours.
And as I feel bad about that and it's your fault, you should apologize again.

Here comes the vicious circle where people fear every word they say will be misunderstood, and end up stopping saying anything.

Back