GP2X The F200 Telnet Problem

deluded said:
Can't I just put the wireless tools on that someone has done?

FW4 certainly has quite a few references to networks in it when I was snooping around last night.

I'll hopefully get ext USB up tonight - and I have a USB wireless dongle that might be the right chipset.
All I can say is try it, I don't own an F200 (or a working F100 for that matter) so I can't say for sure.

I can say for sure that without the FW4 source you will not be able to do anything that needs a kernel rebuild as you would loose all the new stuff that is in the FW4 kernel and not built as modules (touch screen and SDHC drivers are in kernel as far as I can tell).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
cu only transfers text files as I recall.
You can use the session to run rz / sz to transfer files of any type. I used to do this all the time when we did remote support of UNIX / LINUX machines. we did new installs and changes that way over dialup 9600 / 19200 modems.

DJWillis said:
You still have to filter out the console from the serial..

I thought that would/does happen automatically with PPP.. LCP sorted things out, but maybe my memory is lacking. Must admit that I wrote multilink PPP stuff about 15 years ago, so unsurprising if I get it wrong :unsure:

kevcal said:
I thought that would/does happen automatically with PPP.. LCP sorted things out, but maybe my memory is lacking. Must admit that I wrote multilink PPP stuff about 15 years ago, so unsurprising if I get it wrong :unsure:
You know what, it's been about 12 years since I messed with it. I could also well be wrong ;).

If you added a 2nd serial with a USB to serial adapter then this would no longer be an issue. But that would require a driver that is compatible with our kernel and I do not know that information.

You can still use the USB to transfer to SD card - but it doesn't always go back to run mode when you unplug it.

(the saga continues...)

Built up my own USB thing from an old USB hub using the schematics on the wiki. Not tested it with a joypad yet so not 100% convinced it works.

Plugged in a USB wireless dongle - RT2571 chipset (is this compatible?)

Loaded the wireless tools from the archive on to the SD

Ran wireless_scan.gpe.

Get lots of 'insmod: unresolved symbol usb_***** ' errors on the LCD.

So - guessing its not FW4 compatible. :( :(

Also, the /proc/bus directory is empty - I assume I would see USB there if things were working??

On a desktop system, depmod builds up the Dependancies of all the Modules, so you can install whatever module you'll want, and it'll automatically all the other modules it depends on. Whether it works or not on the 2x is another question though.

DJW, do you care to comment? :)

Can't see depmon on the F200 anywhere..

I tried this:

CODE

[root@gp2x sbin]$modprobe /mnt/sd/wireless/rt2570.o
Using /mnt/sd/wireless/rt2570.o
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_deregister
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_free_dev
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_free_urb
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_alloc_urb
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_register
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_submit_urb
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_control_msg
insmod: unresolved symbol usb_unlink_urb

Dunno if that helps..

Doesn't look good, but I don't have a F200 to play with.

I hope GPH didn't screw up the kernel when they recompiled it for the F200...

You have to enable USB host every time you switch the F200 on, it doesn't save the setting like the F100 does.
CODE
[root@gp2x root]$insmod /mnt/sd/rt2570.o
Using /mnt/sd/rt2570.o
usb.c: registered new driver rt2500usb

I don't think that works on mine - have you tested that on a F200??

I'll have another look tonight.

Squidge said:
On a desktop system, depmod builds up the Dependancies of all the Modules, so you can install whatever module you'll want, and it'll automatically all the other modules it depends on. Whether it works or not on the 2x is another question though.
The issue that arises is that you can do one of two things when you build the kernel ; one of which has the magical tag of module versioning, which means that you cannot install a module into the current running kernel that doesn't have the current versions `tag'. Not sure what options GPH had on this...

If anyones actually got access to a device and can run "zcat /proc/config.gz" (i think, sorry) then we can get the .config file that was used to build the kernel. *However* this depends on GPH embedding the config in the kernel (which adds about 7k i believe), so for an embedded system they should have really stripped it out. But hey, from what I've been reading logic doesn't seem to apply to these guys ;-)

paeryn said:
You have to enable USB host every time you switch the F200 on, it doesn't save the setting like the F100 does.
CODE
[root@gp2x root]$insmod /mnt/sd/rt2570.o
Using /mnt/sd/rt2570.o
usb.c: registered new driver rt2500usb
I don't have access to a shell on one of these things, but there may/should be a file somewhere that you can edit to autoload the kernel modules you want/need ... does the file /etc/modules exist on these things ? you can add it in there, just add "rt2570" at the end of the file. All other modules should go in one per line...

HTH

I dunno isn't it easier just to set up USB host by just installing a driver. I remember seeing those on gp2x archive unless those are useless. Rather than going wireless route. Just because of the extra power requirements to power the wireless dongle.

I dunno I might buy a cradle or BoB depends on which one is cheaper since Can't exactly telnet into the system.

Back