GP2X The F200 Telnet Problem

deluded

I'm aware that the telnet / samba connections via USB from the Mk1 has vanished. (The fact that everyone is moaning about it gave it away!)

Surely it can't be that hard to sort out - I'm willing to help out where possible since I have a F200 to test with.

Would a dump of the internal file system be useful? I can probably write a bit of code that copies that to SD card.

Ah, sorry - didn't realised they'd pulled the netchip.

So it's an RS232 cable then..

Ethernet over serial exists, and theres lots of other net-over-serial protocols. SLiP for that matter..

It _CAN_ be fixed, but its effort :)

jeff

Can you connect a RS232 cable and run commands on the F200?? So use HyperTerm (or whatever) rather than telnet?

skeezix said:
Ethernet over serial exists, and theres lots of other net-over-serial protocols. SLiP for that matter..

It _CAN_ be fixed, but its effort :)

jeff
It's not really feasible on the GP2X - loads of rubbish is dumped to the serial console and it'd take ages to remove it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about instead of connecting the GP2x to the PC, connect the pc to the GP2X (through the BOB)

If I buy that docking station with the usb ports and the RS232 Port, would that do the trick?

sam fisher said:
There is no USBNetwork chip in the F200. The USB chip in it is simply for a card reader, reading and writing only. This CANNOT be fixed.
I'd be very suprised if they just used a usb->sd interface chip, as they'd have to umount the sd card before allowing it to function, wait for it to finish all actions, and then remount the file system.

Hmm, looking at the pictures Ed took of the F200 internals, it seems thats exactly what they did do. They used a "USB 2.0 Single Interface Flash Card Reader controller".

Why oh why are GPH such morons? It wouldn't have take them long to just link the USB connector directly to the SoC instead of a stupid USB controller that isn't required. Wiring it to a card reader is just stupid.

If I buy that docking station with the usb ports and the RS232 Port, would that do the trick?

Doesn't the BOB give you USB Host? You can't connect two USB hosts together. You can get a lead that does two usb devices however, but it's hardly practical (and only gives file transfer).

Would anybody be interested in a USB to serial cable that plugs directly from PC to GP2x??

It would look like a serial port to the PC (think linux is supported). Would be powered from the PC so no external PSU. Could also put S-Video on as well probably.

I'd need at least 5 takers before it's worth laying out a PCB. Guessing around £10-£15 per lead.

Is there a way to mount shares over the serial interface instead of usbnet ? I don't know if that's possible i'm guessing it's not. Which is a huge problem to me it's like going back to the stoneage when developping cause you have to copy over your executeables to the sd card everytime you want to test something out. The sambaclient was a big plus for me when developping and now they fucked it all up :(

Squidge said:
Hmm, looking at the pictures Ed took of the F200 internals, it seems thats exactly what they did do. They used a "USB 2.0 Single Interface Flash Card Reader controller". Why oh why are GPH such morons? It wouldn't have take them long to just link the USB connector directly to the SoC instead of a stupid USB controller that isn't required. Wiring it to a card reader is just stupid.
GPH foolishness :angry: :angry: :angry:

joyrider said:
Is there a way to mount shares over the serial interface instead of usbnet ? I don't know if that's possible i'm
Yes there is, but you'll be stuck with an absolute maximum of 10KB/sec, then you need to remove your overheads from that. A typical application would take about a minute to transfer the information to the gp2x, and then you'll have time delays of writing to the SD card. It doesn't sound that long, but when your waiting, it's very annoying and tedious.

The sambaclient was a big plus for me when developping and now they fucked it all up

Thats GPH for you. The F200 is yet another complete fcuk up! It seems like they browse these forums to see what the machine is used for most, and then do the complete opposite.

Networking is what's used by developers most, but not ordinary users most homebrew and emulation still works and new users won't know any better.

It's still a good machine for most users, they've just ruined it for devs who are used to the F-100.

So what if I plug a wlan adapter in as mentioned by the wiki?

Can I telnet in that way? FTP? Samba?

And can we not call the F200 a **ck up - we're trying to fix the issue rather than moan about it.

Back