The Ext Port

jamesthejust

Still Fresh
Hi there!

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did do a quick search).

I'm thinking about picking up a GP2X mainly for Genesis emulation (I'm a huge Sonic fan).

It'd be great to have a larger storage capacity for media files. Am I right in thinking that the EXT Port is USB Host compliant?

If so, does that mean that if an appropriate cable was made USB mass storage devices (such as old hard drive based mp3 players) could act as an extended storage medium?

Thanks in advance.

use the damn search function, yes you can, yes its even a official supported feture now, you can either make the cable, buy art's cable or wait a few weeks till the official docking station is out.
For info on how to build one check the wiki.

Vimacs posted on May 16 2006 at 09:33 PM said:
use the damn search function, yes you can, yes its even a official supported feture now, you can either make the cable, buy art's cable or wait a few weeks till the official docking station is out.
For info on how to build one check the wiki.

No need to be shirty... I did search. None the less, thanks for an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I dont understand why people need to be so rude and reply with the standard "use the search button."
I mean shit its not like this place is a hotbed for activity, this place is deader than a funeral, i'd think some of the older members would welcome the little extra traffic in here.

Thanks again for the help.

When I searched the forum (using the inbuilt search feature) and didn't find anything usefull I assumed that the topic hadn't been covered, not that IPB has a lame search engine.

Those interested, I found a great summary on Hackaday.com: GP2X USB host mode

arcadeplus posted on May 17 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
I mean shit its not like this place is a hotbed for activity, this place is deader than a funeral, i'd think some of the older members would welcome the little extra traffic in here.
What? Dead as a funeral? I've found it quite the opposite.

I was going to say the same about being dead around here, I have touble keeping up AND doing my job (so I don't do my job all the time :) )

JamesTheJust, I've made my own USB interface/Break Out Box.
Using the following pages off the WIKI (and help from the good people around here), they're very useful if you're handy with a soldering iron...

USB Host
BoB Schematic

Hope that helps

Thanks for the links BenScar, but I think I'll hold on until the docking station is out.

Another question...

Is Archive.gp2x.de the best resource for GP2X-related files?

just a question, can someone point me in the direction of where you can buy a connector for the EXT port so that I can try and build my own. I would rather attempt to build my own I bought my gp2x just for this sort of thing :).

Thanks for any help I figured this topic was as good as any to ask. If theres one that is specific to that just point me there.

oqnet posted on May 24 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
just a question, can someone point me in the direction of where you can buy a connector for the EXT port so that I can try and build my own. I would rather attempt to build my own I bought my gp2x just for this sort of thing :).

Everything you need is in The Wiki -> http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT

Squidge posted on May 24 2006 at 11:15 AM said:
oqnet posted on May 24 2006 at 06:05 PM said:

Everything you need is in The Wiki -> http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT

thats great I had been looking on the wiki but missed the EXT part I had seen the scheme and such but no link for the connector. The connector it seems can be bought http://scm.asianproducts.com/clients/showp...7188009156.html from there but as stated in the wiki its 50 bucks for shipping and a minimum of 1000 or something. Thats not quite practical. I was hoping someone could find a different place to get it. I can't seem to find it.

I just realized I should probably be posting this question in the help section instead of cool ideas.

Unfortunately, that place seems to be the official place to get them from - all the others don't quite fit properly (a lot of people have tried and failed).

A couple of people have bought from there and sold in single quantities, but the prices range from £4 to £8 each.

If you only want one or a couple, your probably better off either buying some phone cables with an connector that fits, or buying a TV cable and chopping that up. Expensive, but the only real alternative if you only need a couple of them. Companies just are not interested unless you want a complete batch, as it'll cost them more in administration.

Squidge posted on May 24 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
Unfortunately, that place seems to be the official place to get them from - all the others don't quite fit properly (a lot of people have tried and failed).

A couple of people have bought from there and sold in single quantities, but the prices range from £4 to £8 each.

If you only want one or a couple, your probably better off either buying some phone cables with an connector that fits, or buying a TV cable and chopping that up. Expensive, but the only real alternative if you only need a couple of them. Companies just are not interested unless you want a complete batch, as it'll cost them more in administration.

thanks Squidge I guess I'll just have to keep an eye open and see if anyones selling them anytime soon. I would only want like 2 or 3.

I got an ext cable off ebay (a phone cable) and it was not the type that can be unscrewed and desoldered, it was in a one part plastic shell, so I wouldn't really recommend buying one off ebay unless you can verify through the seller that it can be taken apart and desoldered.

Back