The end of headphone jacks, the rise of DRM

buy a VGA to HDMI adapter.
Such a thing doesn't exist and it can't exist for technical reasons.

To clarify, I should probably tell you that I make a very clear distinction between "adapters" which are purely passive and just translate one plug or wrapping protocol to another without altering the payload signal, and "converters" which actively convert the signal into something else.
Using these terms a working VGA-HDMI adapter cannot exist, because there is no common protocol. The analog VGA signal has to be converted into a digital HDMI signal, which always causes signal degradation due to the encoding.

For the same reason I'm also very happy that the rotator chip could be eliminated from the Pyra design, because in my book this is a converter, since it re-encodes the signal, whereas TILER is merely an adapter that simply swaps X and Y coordinates without touching the content. Even if I wouldn't have seen the rotator's signal degradation on the screen, I still would have known it is there, which would have made me unhappy in a very subjective way.

not a bad idea, but what would you do with these extra rings? At the moment, you could use the same channel to send different frequencies, or make it digital all together, and decode them at the end, so one extra ring suffices for a few things.
Unless you need bandwith, in that case, things like mini HDMI can carry much more. I was thinking more about the lines of a magnetic connector, which does not need the hole (increases water resistance) and only has the contacts. Make the USB magnetic connector strip repel (just turn around the magnets), and you have a natural connection repellent. But it probably does not have the connection quality for audio. for charging, you do not move the phone, so it is not a problem, however, while listening, you do move around, and so you can hear static noise when slightly moving the contacts.

I'm more thinking about making a TRRRRRRRRRS connector, carrying USB3.1 while also being compatible with Jacks. I suppose it is possible to make it receive both analog and digital signals.
If you give it even more rings, and given it is a different size than the Jack family, we could make an adaptor to wire the analog parts on dedicated rings and the digital on the others, thus making a USB+Jack adaptor. The only issue is making the whole thing future-proof : how many lines could we possibly need on analog and on digital signals ? How long does the connector have to be to support enough of them ?

As long your apartment stroll is only a ca.5m to 10m radius around the pc and no walls / doors,... are between you and the pc, you'll be semi fine.

How long will it take till the wireless earplugs only run ca.1 hours between charging?
6 month? 12 month? (If you manage not to loose them.)
Without a replaceable battery, this will be a little bit expensive.

These hypothetical gotchas are all well and good, but the practical reality is far less problematic. I get signal through walls and even outside on my patio. Even if I didn't that would still be ~10 meters versus <1m when I'm tethered to my device. As an IT tech its really great to go anywhere in the office, get under tables, into the store rooms etc and not have to unplug. Sure I've had it cut out when I go behind something that attenuates, but its just all around a much better experience. I've been using BT headphones for several years now and there is no going back for me.

I hear you with the battery thing, thats a fair point, it's just not nearly troubling enough for me to ignore the outstanding benefits of wireless audio. Plus I'm no stranger to replacing components in devices that don't have "user serviceable" parts. Such is life in the modern age for a nerd.

A positive, but still realistic hope for the future would be one where a device has many identical ports. Imagine a laptop where any socket can be a power input, a video output, a connector for a mouse, etc As long as there are lots of them, it could work. The standards and technology are very nearly there.

It would be great to have one type of port do everything! And already exists in Thunderbolt 3. Now to find a device with more than 2 of those ports...

TRRRRRRRRRS connector
Sales Lady: "Is that a TRRRRRRRRRS connector in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
[doublepost=1473715062,1473714788][/doublepost]
can't exist for technical reasons
Ok, I give you that. But at 26 dollars, the converter is cheaper than a thrift-shop TV (here in the Netherlands, they still sell CRT TV's at the Kringloop stores)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Syba-SYB...-with-Audio-up-to-1920-x-1080-Retail/37195937

Back