The Ebay Psp Charger

dgame

I got one of those PSP chargers off of eBay and it works with my Pandora.

It charges when I'm using the Pandora with the Wifi on.

The brick is 8.5cm x 5.5cm x 3.2cm. It uses a removable figure 8 AC power cord.

The brick gets warm while charging and cools down once Pandora goes into trickle mode.

It allegedly has overcharging and short circuit protection.

The output voltage measures at 5.20 DC versus the 5.18 DC of the one that came with Pandora.

The AC voltage through DC ground measures the same on my meter as 00.1 AC for both, but my meter doesn’t have more precision than that for AC.

!BfRBVp!!Wk~$%28KGrHqMOKicErwl4p5FRBL!ju6%28QO!~~_12.JPG

Please be very careful, as it's usually very difficult to tell the origin of these adapters, and they often have falsified safety markings on them.

Things like this and this are not uncommon, and death can also result, as has been covered in at least a couple of television documentaries that covered this matter.

I often do things like this; use a chager for something its not made for, but I always check the voltage, wattage, and aperage before I use it. (ie. used a portable dvd player's adapter on my alarm clock) but these are real adapters laying arond the house, not something found online.

I often follow these rules: never go down in amperage, you can go up as much as you want, keep the voltage and wattage about the same, and if something weird happens, unplug it and RUUUUN!

I wouldnt risk such a thing on my pandora, though. Just cheap things like my alarm clock and PSP speakers.

edit:

why the hell does everything have to be made in china? I could make one of these myself (I have enough skill in electronics, soldering, making PCBs, etc.) as long as I have the parts.

Yes, Prometheus is on track. I had a PSP a while back, and I don't recall the original charger looking quite like that, and when I use Google images for "psp charger", there are images of what looks like original PSP chargers, and they have more writing all over them. This one doesn't even have "Sony" written on it. Nothing adds up right; it's almost certainly fake.

LeChuck87 said:
no worries, it's CE-tested! :D

Check the spacing between the C and the E of the CE. Fake ones don't comply with the official 'distance'

Last edited by a moderator:
CE labeled would be a more precise description of the legal requirement to sell in the EU. Testing is just a way of justifying the application of the label, and is completely optional.

Com64 said:
I often do things like this; use a chager for something its not made for, but I always check the voltage, wattage, and aperage before I use it. (ie. used a portable dvd player's adapter on my alarm clock) but these are real adapters laying arond the house, not something found online.

I often follow these rules: never go down in amperage, you can go up as much as you want, keep the voltage and wattage about the same, and if something weird happens, unplug it and RUUUUN!

I wouldnt risk such a thing on my pandora, though. Just cheap things like my alarm clock and PSP speakers.

edit:

why the hell does everything have to be made in china? I could make one of these myself (I have enough skill in electronics, soldering, making PCBs, etc.) as long as I have the parts.
A combination of a cheap YUON, lack of enforcement of any environmental laws, low real estate and energy costs, low oil costs to ship shit all over the world, low taxes and few regulations in China, lack of enforcement of IP, high savings rate and investment in the latest manufacturing equipment and last lower labor costs. People think it's the cheap labor and it isn't. Modern manufacturing uses little labor and represents a small fraction of the cost.

craigix said:
Open it up and show us the insides.

gibberish said:
dgame has a death wish

It can't be that hard to make a 5v DC power supply.

The seller had over 1,700 previously sold and the feedback was good for this particular item.

The sides are glued together so I cracked open my $3.95 charger for the community, oh the sacrifices we make. :lol:

psp1.png

psp3.png

I was half expecting a bridge rectifier and a LM7805 to be in there.

The markings on some of the parts:

Transistor (3 pin larger):
MJE
13003B

Transistor/Optocoupler? (4 pin/ 4-dip ):
ORIENT
817C
1003C

Regulator? (3 pin smaller):
WS
TL431A
633SD

Electrolytic capacitors:
470mf 16v
2.2mf 400v

dgame said:
I was half expecting a bridge rectifier and a LM7805 to be in there.
You would have, if it had been a traditional regulated transformer. This is a modern switch mode power supply, however. The bridge rectifier consists of the four large diodes on the input side.

Q1 is the main switch transistor, which will charge a magnetic field in the transformer; it then discharges into the low voltage side. It is controlled via the optocoupler to maintain proper isolation. The TL431A is indeed the regulator, sensing when it needs to switch.

In all, the design looks sound. That says little about quality, but it does have isolation, spark gaps, a serious flyback diode, and a fuse. I wouldn't expect any better from an actual Sony part.

What does look mildly worrying is the actual fabrication. The solder side is a mess. The through-hole components are wave soldered, common for this type of cheap single-sided board, but then there are all these surface mount components that are horribly crudely soldered. I'd have to take a closer look to be sure, but that part is about as confidence inspiring as that one keyboard I got that was broken at the factory. Literally crushed together such that traces from the PCB tore off.

you gotta be careful buying AC adapters.

http://electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html

I bought some Chinese-made knockoff for my laptop. It gets really hot when it's running the laptop and charging it at the same time, but not hot enough to start a fire, so I'm not worried. it's also got the proper voltage on a voltmeter.

I got this thing for $5 USD from hong kong. it says "designed by apple in california" on it, but thats nonsense. i even opened it up. sorry, no pics loll my camera needs batteries. it works well, and I've never had any problems. I have used it on a lot of different things, but for some reason, the ipod touch does not work with it. its not a bad knockoff, but its great for mp3 players apart from the ipod touch. im too scared to use it on a pandora though.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2180

//www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_2180_1.jpg

Robotron therapy as needed said:
Yes, Prometheus is on track. I had a PSP a while back, and I don't recall the original charger looking quite like that, and when I use Google images for "psp charger", there are images of what looks like original PSP chargers, and they have more writing all over them. This one doesn't even have "Sony" written on it. Nothing adds up right; it's almost certainly fake.

If it did say Sony on it, but wasn't actually a Sony product, then it would be fake. This is just a third party replacement.

Back