The Crucible!

Only just found this thread, really nice work on the crucible Lou, did i plant the seed back in July last year in my post in this thread : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30444&hl= ?

Ok i admit it, i've been bollocked at work today and thought i'd at least try to bask in someone else's glory - apols for that. :blink:

Very nice work though still :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rename it to: "The gp2x BBQ" Why does this look like a BBQ to me?

Seriously though VERY nice job! This gives me an idea to build a similar structure around the comercial BOB, to include a HDD, External Battery Pack I'm testing and a "screen projection" item I saw once.... damn I need to find that product.

I'm still considering tearing my SNES apart and build a gp2x docking station out of that, the cartridge slot would just about work.

Could someone build the next one out of FLOAM or PlayDoh next?

I had hoped others would come up with their own designs/ideas as well .. ;)

Have you finished with the updated spec/part list? I've just managed to purchase a DEV board so im feeling very lucky i wasnt stuck with the cruddy cradle that seem to be all thats around.

Needless to say i want to build myself one of these, so if/when you're done with the updated specs i'd be grateful if you could hit me up with a copy :D

Well, I'd have to re-upload the LDD file, but I strayed a bit from that design (thus the flood of close-up images in this thread).

The docking part is nearly the same (a few aesthetic adjustments), but the base (where the actual board is located) had to be made smaller (width & depth) and taller, to accommodate for the damn EXT cable ..

I'll upload it after I make some adjustments to the final design .. thanks for the interest :D

TelcoLou said:
Well, I'd have to re-upload the LDD file, but I strayed a bit from that design (thus the flood of close-up images in this thread).

The docking part is nearly the same (a few aesthetic adjustments), but the base (where the actual board is located) had to be made smaller (width & depth) and taller, to accommodate for the damn EXT cable ..

I'll upload it after I make some adjustments to the final design .. thanks for the interest :D
Thanks, i'll need to contact lego or some place to order all the parts anyways so take your time, theres no major rush :)

Yorper said:
TelcoLou said:

Thanks, i'll need to contact lego or some place to order all the parts anyways so take your time, theres no major rush :)

... cool thing is, you can order the parts right from the Lego Designer software .. :D

TelcoLou said:
Yorper said:
TelcoLou said:

... cool thing is, you can order the parts right from the Lego Designer software .. :D

LOL thats even better, i'll have to go download the software and save myself a major hassle then :lol:

ok so whats the final price of getting this plus the BoB and everything you need... what are the points for doing this and spending what could be double the price of the proper dock (other than the psu issue)

thefunkygibbon said:
ok so whats the final price of getting this plus the BoB and everything you need... what are the points for doing this and spending what could be double the price of the proper dock (other than the psu issue)
The fact you can easy turn on your gp2x with this, try turning it on when in the cradle, you'll need to customise a paper clip or something to do that. Also you dont need to cut away the rubber EXT bung with this, you do with the cradle.

Plus with this you get to play with some lego :D

Hey, hearing about the poor manufacturing of the Cradle, is there any way I can just remove the case to basically end up with a BoB so I can make one of these? It doesn't look like I can buy a BoB anymore.

Also, failing that, is there any way to just get an EXT cable to connect the gp2x to the Cradle without actually putting it in it?

Yorper said:
How's the final design coming along TelcoLou? I'm getting really itchy now to get this built :p
... oh yeah, sorry for the delay; the only copy of the LDD file is stuck on my laptop, and I have no access to it at the moment ... I'll see if I can at least upload the file, as-is (without the final refinements I made in real-life) as soon as I can ..

TelcoLou said:
Yorper said:
How's the final design coming along TelcoLou? I'm getting really itchy now to get this built :p
... oh yeah, sorry for the delay; the only copy of the LDD file is stuck on my laptop, and I have no access to it at the moment ... I'll see if I can at least upload the file, as-is (without the final refinements I made in real-life) as soon as I can ..

Theres no major rush, i can wait for the extra refinements :p I was just wondering how things were going as it'd been just over a week. :)

Sorry for the delay;

Here's the Lego Designer file

It's not the final design, as seen in the image in my sig & this thread, but the top (docking part) is pretty much the same. If you feel like having a go at it, you can just build the docking half and improvise a base yourself.

I'll eventually get around to refining the design to reflect my final model (the one I use for my case-less Dev BOB)

Thanks, and enjoy :)

Back