The Caanoo Information Thread

jutley said:
yea i just ordered mine today from gameseeker uk hell if it plays doom and quake i want it forget what anyone else says will pass the time untill i get my pandora in batch2 inline 90-120 que position.

i noticed gameseek sell the PAL version so is there a NTSC version too?
wonder what the differences are and more importantly, which one's better? ? ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say, it's been a while since I looked around the GP2X scene, and this new CAANOO's got my interest. I was just never comfortable with the Wiz's small form factor or D-pad.

Although I am concerned about the lack of Volume buttons, before they were often used for other controls like the SNES emulator's menu (because every other button is needed for the emulator).

Knowing GPH, there's bound to be some niggling problems when this thing gets out there, like the firmware problems, the unforseen screen tearing, and other issues. I think it best that I don't pre-order one and see how it rides out.
If they finally get the control stick/d-pad down, I might have no reservations in buying this.

I haven't heard anything bad about the caanoo stick so far so it must at least be decent. I didn't mind how the wiz dpad looked but didn't like that the action buttons were shaped the same plus early problems with tearing.

Also, there are 2 buttons underneath the stick that seem like they kinda replace volume buttons are also seem to work well with games played in vertical orientation.

Wait, two buttons under the one stick? How is that possible?

Edit: Oh, no whoops you meant the I and II buttons.
I had heard that you can click in the analogue nub for an additional button.

RupeeClock said:
I had heard that you can click in the analogue nub for an additional button.

You are correct.

I'll continue to update this. Mods, feel free to do the same. If someone could change the sub-title thingy from 'What we know so far...' to 'General Info and Useful Links' that would be dandy.

I had pleasant dreams about the caanoo last night, I dreamt of playing some sort of Sonic game, and for some reason, Ocarina of Time.
Although I know that won't happen, the Caanoo doesn't have the power to emulate N64 well enough, lol.

In any case I've reason to be excited, my play-asia order has a release date now, August 21st. :)
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-zvy-71-d1-49-en-84-j-70-3w5n.html

RupeeClock said:
In any case I've reason to be excited, my play-asia order has a release date now, August 21st. :)
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-zvy-71-d1-49-en-84-j-70-3w5n.html

My Caanoo has shipped today from play asia.

I guess yours have too.

Not sure if you guys know this but even though the caanoo has 128 MB Ram only 84 MB Ram is availible to applications ... just thought i'd share this (you can easily see this by doing a free command using telnet)

joyrider said:
Not sure if you guys know this but even though the caanoo has 128 MB Ram only 84 MB Ram is availible to applications ... just thought i'd share this (you can easily see this by doing a free command using telnet)

Its kind of funny. I read this and thought "Wow, that's a lot of memory usage..." then I realized that my Windows 7 gaming machine is running 6Gb of RAM with around 4.7Gb available, and only 3.6Gb "free" (due to cache).

ozzuneoj said:
Its kind of funny. I read this and thought "Wow, that's a lot of memory usage..." then I realized that my Windows 7 gaming machine is running 6Gb of RAM with around 4.7Gb available, and only 3.6Gb "free" (due to cache).

you understand this wrong :) the caanoo has 128 mb ram but you can never go over 84 mb ram even when you wanted too (unless with a swap file) when windows has 6 gig ram you could use all of it (well not all of it there are probably bits reserved). But it's not the FREE memory i'm talking about, you just can not allocate more then 84 mb ram even if you wanted to or ram was not used all the way...

joyrider said:

Of course! A portion of RAM is reserved to the Operating System and to the video buffer/data... similary the Wiz has got 64 Mbytes of RAM, but only 21-22 Mbytes are available for the user...

Back