The 411 On Gp32x Emulation Quality

tattooman

Website
Visit site
A couple years back I use to be into the GP32 heavily and had a FLU that a bought used. Anyways the front light went out on it and sold it. The GP32X was still a while away from being released. Before you tell me to search the forums, Google etc, I have done this. I would like to know is the GP32X worth it to get and more importantly the emulation quality.

I recall the GP32 its self had about 90% compatibility and near perfect with NES, Sega Master and Genesis, GB color, MSX.

Turbografx had about 70%-80% compatibility speed, sound as well.

Unless you had a over clocked one SNES, GBA, MAME was very slow even over clocked.

My question is what about NEO GEO, SNES MAME, are those at full speed now or what issues do they have?

Also, with SNES to Mario RPG, Star Ocean and those games with the chip work?

Same with the quality of hooking it up to your TV and what about USB controllers?

I loved by GP32 before the front light went out and want to know realistically what to expect before investing the money in a GP32X.

Please guys, I really want your personal feedback.

All the emulators you've mentioned are pretty much perfect.

You'll be disappointed with the battery life of the GP2X, but apart from that, it's head and shoulders above the GP32...

Gruntfuggly said:
All the emulators you've mentioned are pretty much perfect.

You'll be disappointed with the battery life of the GP2X, but apart from that, it's head and shoulders above the GP32...

Really, about how long is the average battery life? Is there a charge pack or what do you recommend?

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
tattooman said:
Really, about how long is the average battery life? Is there a charge pack or what do you recommend?

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming guys.
With decent (2700mAh+) rechargeable batteries, 4-5 hours is the norm. Not terrible, but pretty bad compared to the GP32. Also the 2x doesn't have tits on the back :(

I thought that the GP32 had pretty decent SNES emulation, but the GP2x blows it out of the water (yet people still complain.) Though, SNES is just one example. The Genesis and Sega CD emulation is extremely impressive.

fishybawb said:
Also the 2x doesn't have tits on the back
:lol:

It's worth mentioning that, whilst Mario RPG and Star Ocean do work, firstly not every game with their respective chips do, and secondly, SMRPG at least is not running at 60fps (although for a snes RPG what it is running at - 20-30fps iirc - is perfectly good)

However, the three specific ones you mentioned - GBA, Mame, and Neo Geo are either full speed or pretty close. GBA+Yoshi's Island is my current convert-casual-onlookers combo, and it must be running pretty well to do so!

Great feedback guys!!! That's what I wanted to hear. Does it still look great hooking it up to the TV for Emu as well as movie play back? Does it support most or certain USB controllers?

Back