I'm Thinking of Getting the GP32x.

Xyo

Hi guys. After Months of research. I have nearly come to a decision of purchasing the GP32x as i am an Emulation and hombrew freak. I just wanted to know whether.

1. Is the Screen on the Cheaper no Light GP, dark like the GBA or is it bright.
2. Do MAME roms work, and how well does Metal Slug Emulate.
3. I know DOOM1 is available. But does anyone know about Doom2.

Thnx.. :p

The non flu screen is better than the gameboy advance's erm as far as i know a mame capable of metal slug is quite impossible unless some1 decides 2 spend some serious time working that 1 out (ram limitations). All the dooms work apart from 3

DOOM1 and DOOM2 work quite well. They both use the same engine AFAIK.

Someone is working on porting the Neo Geo version of Metal Slug, but I wouldn't count on it being released anytime soon. However, the Neo Geo Pocket Colour version works well, although without sound (for now).

The FLU version is bright enough to light up a small portion of a dimly lit room. The non-FLU version will work in that same room, especially with emulators that have gamma/brightness settings.

hmm i think mame will only work with roms upto 6 MB or so (unzipped)... so no metal slug emulation.
But a guy (IcemanGP) is working on Metal Slug, he ripped the gfx out of the originals and codes the everythign else on his own... lets c...

thnx guys. Thanks. I'm hopefully gonna order in the coming month. I'll post once i get it for a little more help :D . thanks..

Will do, oh and btw. Are the software prices so cheap because the SDK is free to download. Therefore production is cheaper.

They are cheap because you can download them online, no real hardware is being sold instead of it comming on its own smart media card. Most people buy commercial software from joygp, GPcinema is a must have for watching movies its also only 8usd afaik.

And the cool thing is that i am in the UK. With the GBA i have to wait ages for the games to be released here. Wheras with Gampark. When it is released. It is world wide. Which is col, that means no waiting.

AND I AM A RETRO NUT.

generalnmx posted on Sep 27 2003 at 03:42 PM said:
The FLU version is bright enough to light up a small portion of a dimly lit room. The non-FLU version will work in that same room, especially with emulators that have gamma/brightness settings.
What are you talking about the FLU is powerful enough to play and light up the room a little in complete darkness.
Get the flu its much better than non-flu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres what i got from TFJ bryant, who maeks wormlights for the GP32 and sells them for 20 shipped (USD)
Well Dan,

Here is some facts you may or may not know about the FLu's compared to the wormlight I use. First off, I have 2 GP32's one FLU, and one non FLU (this one obviously I use the wormlight on.) With the FLU I can roughly get 5-6 hours of game time using NimH recharge batteries. With the Wormlight, I can get at least 8 hours of game time, even when I overclock my GP32 to 156. I have received about 9 hours tops with the light on FRESH Batteries right off the charger.
Here is another little fact you might want to decide. As you know, the non FLU GP is roughly 160-180 depending on where you go. The FLU is about 200-230. If you purchased a non FLU (160) and a wormlight (20) your total will come to around 180. Again, a FLU is a little more expensive The wormlight I build, is top quality and tested, so no worries there. It literally lights up the entire room. I will send you a few pics ASAP.

Finally I feel if I gave you advice one way or the other on the light it would appear as a biased view. So let me put it to you this way.
The wormlight works great for me. There is no trapazoid effect like the FLU. No dust under the screen. And No blue tint around the edges. Plus, if I am lost in the dark, I can use the GP32 wormlight to find the bathroom with no problem. :)

Just got my GP32 yesterday, I have a non-flu and it is sooo much easier to see than my GBA, it even suprised myself because i was expecting the same or worse looking screen as GBA. There's someone on here that is selling worm lights, i don't remember who, but if you want to play GP in the dark then i'd hook up with him on a worm light. That is if you don't get a FLU :lol:

thanks guys.
should i buy it from Play-Asia (cheap)
or from GBAx (expensive bt reliable aftersale)
And where cana i find the Firmware. 157e

Shaking Spirit posted on Sep 27 2003 at 08:15 PM said:
Other than the fact that the non-flu's are superstitioned to have more chance of being overclockable.
Thats crap. A flu is the exact same as a non flu but the flu has just been pulled apart and a light atatched inside. All the electronics are the same.

Xyo posted on Sep 28 2003 at 12:04 AM said:
thanks guys.
should i buy it from Play-Asia (cheap)
or from GBAx (expensive bt reliable aftersale)
And where cana i find the Firmware. 157e
Buy from GBAX. My GP32's A button isn't as responsive as my B button and I got from play-asia.

Back