Thanks Alot For The Lousy "upgrade"!

christo930

Ever since the so-called upgrade of the boards software the boards suck! When you click on a topic on the front page it doesn't take you to where the post is, it's slow, it constantly logs me out, the interface sucsks. This new version sucks balls. Is there anyway to go back or change to different software? I can't tell you how much I hate the new board software. There were a couple of minor problems with the old one that everyone knew how to work around or there were patches, but instead we got this new piece of shit.
I hate it.

Chris

PS.. I'm not ungrateful for the use of gp32x.de, but I would think they want to know what users think and I think it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
The other one was hacked often. This is fine for me as long as bugs are being fixed.

As I recall, they were hacked maybe twice in 5 years. The old boards were fine.

Chris

As a new user I can say that it's not that bad. I do like the colour template and the overall design. I have noticed that the main-page links do no take you to the topic, but rather to the forum index. I also have not been logged out since the day I logged in so I can't say I've experienced that problem.

I have to ask: what web browser are you using?

I'm using Firefox (probably the most recent version)

Does anyone have any screen captures or know of any other websites that used the old software/template/whatever

DCurro said:
As a new user I can say that it's not that bad. I do like the colour template and the overall design. I have noticed that the main-page links do no take you to the topic, but rather to the forum index. I also have not been logged out since the day I logged in so I can't say I've experienced that problem.

I have to ask: what web browser are you using?

I'm using Firefox (probably the most recent version)

Does anyone have any screen captures or know of any other websites that used the old software/template/whatever

Here is a few pages of the old GP32x website template from around 2003ish, Courtesy of the web archive.

Front page

Forum index

Subforum index

Topic page

Excuse my language, But SHIT, That brings back memories. */Sheds a tear/*

Trooper

I clicked the "view new content" and troopers post was invisible to me. I had to go into my profile and check my last few posts to get into this thread.

@trooper: pmsl at the off topic threads first post. :D

Yeah, I hate it too, I know nobody could care what I think, but I haven't [posted since the 'upgrade' simply because of the front page topic bug. Because everytime I see something I want to read or comment on, and I click on it, it sends me to the damn index, and its extremely annoying to go find it in the correct section, and then I gotta remember the name of the damn thread, and by that time, I lose interest, or forget what the hell I was gonna say, because I see another topic I want to comment on.....and lastly, these colors are dead gay....

DSR

dsraa said:
Because everytime I see something I want to read or comment on, and I click on it, it sends me to the damn index, and its extremely annoying to go find it in the correct section, and then I gotta remember the name of the damn thread, and by that time, I lose interest, or forget what the hell I was gonna say, because I see another topic I want to comment on....
That front-page link issue is well annoying!
I preferred the old format - although I guess this one has more fancy bits on it...
Also there are two many sub-forums now (too many devices supported?) and everyone's now too dispersed :(
I would prefer one 'general discussion' forum (a central point for general posts) and specific development/news/beta-testing/etc sub-forums for each device - it would make it all less unwieldy I reckon... "fings ain't wot they used ta be.."

I'm reading occaisonally, but have decided to post no longer, and will inhabit the openhandhelds boards instead. This place is a joke now.

User's interests making posts over a screen-height in size. Enormous banner at the top that has zero functionality - I can see five new topics in the "view new content" before I have to scroll due to this. Speaking of the "view new content" page, it doesn't set the read status of new topics. I have to "mark all boards as read" after each session, or they just pile up - I'm up to 8 pages of new stuff since this morning. Sorry, but we're not that active. Fonts are way too large in the headers, and there's no way to navigate to a specific page unless you open up the thread - you can't even go to the first page and start reading, you have to start from the latest post.

The previous upgrade was bearable due to the bugs in the software that cropped up. This fixes nothing and introduces a shitload of new issues.

Looks like any development discussion I'll be having when my pandora arrives will be elsewhere.

D.

christo930 said:
When you click on a topic on the front page it doesn't take you to where the post is
It takes you to the newest post that you haven't yet read.

christo930 said:
It's slow.
For me it's pretty speedy!

christo930 said:
It constantly logs me out.
Doesn't for me and I'm not getting any special treatment here.

christo930 said:
The interface sucsks. This new version sucks balls.
That is your opinion and a lot of others actually like it, it's different than the original yes and some things are in a different place but it's really not as bad as you're making out. Give it a chance and do what we humans are good at, adapt!

christo930 said:
Is there anyway to go back or change to different software?
No sorry, this was a major upgrade to keep us in-line with Invasion's current version and therefore to keep the support alive. Older software is vulnerable and the longer we were using it the more open to attack we got.

christo930 said:
I can't tell you how much I hate the new board software. There were a couple of minor problems with the old one that everyone knew how to work around or there were patches, but instead we got this new piece of shit.
I'm sorry you don't like the current boards but we can't obviously please everyone. Don't forget there were people who hated the old design. Another thing you may be interested in is that Hando has expressed an interest in anyone who can redesign the layout as we currently have a basic Invasion skin. Things may change again and I bet you we still won't please everyone, no matter how good it is!

WarmFluffyUK said:
christo930 said:
When you click on a topic on the front page it doesn't take you to where the post is
Errr ... no it doesn't - at least not for me; it just takes me to the main forum page...
I mean the links under "Latest posts from the coolest ;) GP2X Wiz, Pandora, GP2X, Dingoo A320,GP32 Discussion Board" in the main dark beige box in the middle.

EDIT:
Actually hitting CTRL and - in firefox has shrunk things to a more reasonable size, I've adblocked the image at the top - things are improving... but there's a lot of wasted screen 'real estate' with this theme :(
'Comments' under news items works (ie takes you to the correct thread), so I don't know why the above section doesn't..

If someone could come up with a more condensed theme (less blank areas), it could be as good as the previous forum as there are some nice additions...

WarmFluffyUK said:
christo930 said:

christo930 said:
It's slow.
For me it's pretty speedy!

christo930 said:
It constantly logs me out.
Doesn't for me and I'm not getting any special treatment here.

christo930 said:
The interface sucsks. This new version sucks balls.
That is your opinion and a lot of others actually like it, it's different than the original yes and some things are in a different place but it's really not as bad as you're making out. Give it a chance and do what we humans are good at, adapt!

christo930 said:
Is there anyway to go back or change to different software?
No sorry, this was a major upgrade to keep us in-line with Invasion's current version and therefore to keep the support alive. Older software is vulnerable and the longer we were using it the more open to attack we got.

christo930 said:
I can't tell you how much I hate the new board software. There were a couple of minor problems with the old one that everyone knew how to work around or there were patches, but instead we got this new piece of shit.
I'm sorry you don't like the current boards but we can't obviously please everyone. Don't forget there were people who hated the old design. Another thing you may be interested in is that Hando has expressed an interest in anyone who can redesign the layout as we currently have a basic Invasion skin. Things may change again and I bet you we still won't please everyone, no matter how good it is!

When I am on the front page and see an interesting topic and click it, it takes me to a page where I have to go into the forum it was posted in and sometimes I end up forgetting what it was that I wanted to read. I use Firefox for Mac (on my mac, right now I'm on my pc) and it logs me out constantly. Before the upgrade, as long as I didn't clear the cookies, it never logged me out. So after fighting with the slow website trying to find what I just clicked on, I get to the post at last and want to reply only to find out that I have to log back in which is slow and by the time all is said and done I just give up. Even if it worked, why should it take me to the newest post I haven't read? Why shouldn't it take me to what I actually clicked on? Isn't that the point of a link in the first place?
Is there a my assistant like the old one? I used to go in there and look at my last 10 posts and check them to see if I had any responses and I don't seem to see that functionality in this version. I don't use web boards too much so it might just be my lack of knowledge on web boards so if that is the case can you point me to the my assistant?
Even though gp32x is using a new version, can't we make it look and function like the old version? At least look like it. I feel like it's not even gp32x.de anymore.Furthermore, there is one theme on the front page and a totally different look on the boards.

Thanks,

Chris

To be honest the boards are still under development, please don't forget that Hando works very hard and gp32X is done in his spare time.

The front page and the forums have always been different, but this is also something we are addressing and has been mentioned in other threads.

Please could I ask you to be patient as this is not, and was never intended to be the final look and functionality of the boards.

Thanks,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK said:
To be honest the boards are still under development, please don't forget that Hando works very hard and gp32X is done in his spare time.

The front page and the forums have always been different, but this is also something we are addressing and has been mentioned in other threads.

Please could I ask you to be patient as this is not, and was never intended to be the final look and functionality of the boards.

Thanks,
Clare.
No problem Clare, there probably are other threads mentioning this, but there's just too many sections now to find anything :(
And yeah, Hando has always done a great job in my opinion supplying & supporting this, but it's good that people care enough to comment.
If I wasn't still devving on the gp2x, I wouldn't visit here at all as there's now no central 'general discussion' sub-forum to visit and 'show recent posts' button (my main use of the previous forum).
I guess it's still early days...

Kev

@christo930: I use firefox on PC and it doesn't log me out - you haven't set it up to 'clear private data' automatically?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/forum/22-beta-testing-gp32-gp2x/
I know there are old topics there, and the forum displays topics from the last 30 days or so.
But am I just blind or did the "Show from the beginning" dropbox or whatever it was on the old forum, disappear?
I can't get the topics to appear.

Iorgy77 said:
Hitting the "new content" button for me is the only problem. It hides all threads I have answered in even if there are new replies.
This is my main annoyance with this new board software... I have to manually rummage to find topics I'm interested in now...

kevcal said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Thanks,
Clare.
No problem Clare, there probably are other threads mentioning this, but there's just too many sections now to find anything :(
And yeah, Hando has always done a great job in my opinion supplying & supporting this, but it's good that people care enough to comment.
If I wasn't still devving on the gp2x, I wouldn't visit here at all as there's now no central 'general discussion' sub-forum to visit and 'show recent posts' button (my main use of the previous forum).
I guess it's still early days...

Kev

@christo930: I use firefox on PC and it doesn't log me out - you haven't set it up to 'clear private data' automatically?

In the privacy tab always clear is unchecked and ask me before clearing is checked, so it's not that.

I always felt that gp32x was a good community and that is why I even commented on it. I really feel if it were lost, we would lose something pretty cool. Most web boards really suck, but this one is pretty good and people are mostly good. I definitely appreciate all the effort hando puts into it. I used to run a BBS back in the early 90's and I know how much work this can be. I just don't want to see the boards and community around it, fall apart. Software repositories can come and go, but where else could you get people to support you and be nice about it without any compensation?

Chris

Back