teorically? pratically?

TheClue

Still Fresh
gp32 is a great handheld system, no doubt about it. It is wonderful to play atari st, spectrum, master system and snes (uhm...well...not at all) games on it...

But which system can teorically be emulated on gp?
Teorically i think that at least neogeo, cps1/2 and amiga 68000 can be easily emulated with our powerful ARM9, but gp has only 8mb of RAM - as i can read specs - that's probably not enough for the major part of the games and reading game data from smc on the fly is probably too slow...

so teorically we have a powerful cpu, but pratically we can't use it deeply, do i understand? :-(

Wish/pray: ARM9 as i know has an address space much bigger than 8mb. Is it not possible a "memory expansion" stuff? Or a fool mod? B)

(sorry for my poor english)

Someone did do a ram expansion to 32mb, but the software needs to be changed to accomodate this, and as most people hav the usual 8mb of ram, this is not usually imlemented in the software.

Problem with making a gp32 run on 32mb of ram is u need a new bios and it also means that gp's have to be modded and alot of people woudlnt wanna do that and all the programs that are out now would need to be reprogrammed cause the way the 32mb ram works is different. Altho i could be worng maybe just bios is needed.

Still there woudlnt be enough people to flash there firmware and add 32mb of ram.

:ph34r:

uhm...sad :(

i think that an "official" mod by gamepark, followed by a setr of patches for games, will be much more realistic

If a kit was released, with the ram, a guide to instillation and the new bios that needs to b flashed then i would deffinately go for it. It would make so many more things within reach.

Dozer posted on Jul 21 2003 said:
It would make so many more things within reach.
neeeeeogeoooooaaaahhhhh i'm cooooooming :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be really good - it would certainly make a decent Amiga Emulator workable! It'll make lots more things possible! hey - maybe webcams et al could be rigged up for looking dpwn drains or something- the extra beef would enable this.

NssOne posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
:huh: What the hell does teorically mean?
never mind
my english is very similiar to your sign :(

...captain...someone drop us the bomb... :lol:

There are about 60 pins on the average RAM chip. Very tiny SURFACE MOUNT pins. I don't know how many of you have extensive soldering experience, but working with tiny surface mount components REALLY SUCKS. I worked in a TV/VCR repair shop for a couple years, and I hated changing surface mount ICs.

If you havn't done it before, don't try it. You WILL ruin the ram chip, your GP32, or both.

That being said, I'd love to add more RAM to my GP32 :D All I need is an excuse. If there was (for instance) a NEO-GEO emu that ran full speed, but was limited to only a few games because of available RAM, I'd order an extra-fine tip for my Weller and go to work.

I don't necessarily expect this to happen though. Most people wouldn't go through the trouble of upgrading, so why should programmers bother writing specifically for a tiny percentage of the (already small) GP32 community?

Chip posted on Jul 23 2003 said:
I don't necessarily expect this to happen though. Most people wouldn't go through the trouble of upgrading, so why should programmers bother writing specifically for a tiny percentage of the (already small) GP32 community?
this remember some friends of mine and their amigas a lot of time ago

"why upgrade my A500 1MB if i can play sensisoccer, turrican and another world?"

Chip posted on Jul 23 2003 said:
There are about 60 pins on the average RAM chip. Very tiny SURFACE MOUNT pins. I don't know how many of you have extensive soldering experience, but working with tiny surface mount components REALLY SUCKS. I worked in a TV/VCR repair shop for a couple years, and I hated changing surface mount ICs.

If you havn't done it before, don't try it. You WILL ruin the ram chip, your GP32, or both.

That being said, I'd love to add more RAM to my GP32 :D All I need is an excuse. If there was (for instance) a NEO-GEO emu that ran full speed, but was limited to only a few games because of available RAM, I'd order an extra-fine tip for my Weller and go to work.

Y'know I reckon more people would be willing to learn soldering than C++, Just imagine the korean news report:

"It was announced today that GP32 creators Gamepark have managed to establish a solid fan base, of 10,000 fully qualified soldering experts, Nintendo are shaking in their boots and governements in more economically developed countries fear a massive primary industry uprise."

Say it like Kent Brockman from the Simpsons and your half way there to understanding what the hell I'm talking about.

It's not really a skill you want to "learn" by practicing on a $150-200 piece of equipment. I should know, I learned on 500-1000 dollar TVs and camcorders :D

You can do a lot of irepairable damage to the board if you're not very carfull, not to mention all the burns to your hands :(

But once again, bring it on. I know I could do it. Perhaps I could even do other people's GP32s for a small fee. I made a decent bit of money back in college modding playstations...

Back