(Temporarily) Remapping Buttons On The Caanoo?

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I've broken my R button on my Caanoo, so it's very difficult to press, and my finger is blistering from using LGPT all day. Is there any way to remap the R button to anther button, like the B button temporarily (for one session) or for just that program?

I've remapped the buttons in Quake, so I don't have a problem with that game. I just wish I could get my Caanoo open to fix it. I've tried countless times and all I end up with are sore fingers.

There are two possible ways to do it but neither is possible for the end-user right now.

First way: This way was invented by me for the GP2X. I don't know if it works for either the Wiz or the Caanoo. You can customize the kernel to reprogram specific GPIO lines to be both input/output instead of just input. The GPIO lines connected to each of the buttons is normally input-only. When reconfigured as mentioned, you can actually write to the indiviudal lines and the CPU can still read that value outputted as an input. The implications are obvious: you can emulate a button press through software, which is exactly what I did in Open2X for the GP2X.

Second way: you can hack the driver for /dev/GPIO, which is a custom GP2X device driver allowing standard access to the buttons of the GP2X, amongst other things. SDL and probably some other apps read /dev/GPIO for their input. For the GP2X, I customized Open2X to allow full reassignment of any of the GP2X's buttons. Any app that does not use SDL or /dev/GPIO will not work with this, i.e. emulators. This is not so big a deal as many emulators already allow button configuration.

It will be quite a few months at the least until this stuff is ready to be tested on the Wiz or even the Caanoo (I don't have a Caanoo) so I recommend trying to open it and fix it.

Senor Quack said:
There are two possible ways to do it but neither is possible for the end-user right now.

First way: This way was invented by me for the GP2X. I don't know if it works for either the Wiz or the Caanoo. You can customize the kernel to reprogram specific GPIO lines to be both input/output instead of just input. The GPIO lines connected to each of the buttons is normally input-only. When reconfigured as mentioned, you can actually write to the indiviudal lines and the CPU can still read that value outputted as an input. The implications are obvious: you can emulate a button press through software, which is exactly what I did in Open2X for the GP2X.

Second way: you can hack the driver for /dev/GPIO, which is a custom GP2X device driver allowing standard access to the buttons of the GP2X, amongst other things. SDL and probably some other apps read /dev/GPIO for their input. For the GP2X, I customized Open2X to allow full reassignment of any of the GP2X's buttons. Any app that does not use SDL or /dev/GPIO will not work with this, i.e. emulators. This is not so big a deal as many emulators already allow button configuration.

It will be quite a few months at the least until this stuff is ready to be tested on the Wiz or even the Caanoo (I don't have a Caanoo) so I recommend trying to open it and fix it.
Thanks for your input. I guess I'll have another go at prying the Caanoo open. I am, however, a very patient person, so I could wait a year if I had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back