Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

DaveC said:
I noticed on some games the game complains about RAM. For example Star Parodia has some warning screen in Japanese. I can pick out RAM in all of the other text I can't read. I also can't get past the screen to the game, it sits there mocking me with the text and some background music. Does anyone know what to do here?
You might have filled up your BRAM. Try deleting a game from the syscard menu (select). Also try the "per-game BRAM" option. The sucker fills up FAST.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW,

I had not realise that i was playing all games near fullspeed @150, but i had sometimes some slowdown
that's why I went the option screen, and here i realized that i wad playing @150.

This is CRAZY!!!

Of course @200 every tested games run 100% fullspeed!!!!!!

Exophase YOU ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting for this emu since my GP32!!!

Tested and Working:

-Final Soldier
-Summer Carnival 92
-Serei Senshi Spriggan
-Devil Crash
-Street Fighter II
-Fantasy Star Soldier

And I guess you already know it but DaveC is very "requiring", and having his "Seal of Quality" means that you are a master!!!

Thks again

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

grahf said:
Everything works as expected, but it seems that the bram is not being saved when exiting the emulator. It works if I reset the game, but once I quit its lost.. possible bug?
Just tried it, am not having this problem. Are you using the "per-game BRAM" option? I wasn't using it when I tried.

This emulator is Brilliant thanks!

Has anyone gotten Ys 4 english patched (nightwolve) to work? come to think of it it only works on emus when the physical disk is present, or in the actual duo.. anyone gotten a image of it to work?

and im still trying to get popful mail to work of course..

btw, is there anyway to compress the bin/cue? itd be cool to have more than 2 cd games on a 1 gig card.

josh f said:
Valis Fantasm Soldier also freezes after the Riot intro.
I tried this game during beta testing and I did not have this problem. Is this from your own rip? Also, if it's freezing in bin/cue try using the bin ogg converter. I didn't have any issues though with either bin/cue or iso/ogg rips that I made.

EDIT: Actually I know the issue. It's with your syscard3.bin file. I'm sure it's a US version. I tried it just to test. Valis Fantasm Soldier will not run with the US v3.01 system card. Make sure you use the PC-ENGINE 3.00 system card. It will work fine. It will also help with compatability issues, since most games are Japanese anyways.

Exophase said:
grahf said:
Everything works as expected, but it seems that the bram is not being saved when exiting the emulator. It works if I reset the game, but once I quit its lost.. possible bug?
Just tried it, am not having this problem. Are you using the "per-game BRAM" option? I wasn't using it when I tried.

I tried with both options. I will try to use a different system card. I am not using my original rip, so that's most likely the problem. I will try again in a week using my original CD, as well as test all of my others. Ive got a ton of real PCE disks, so I plan on ripping them all for use on the go.

BTW, any plans to add a software render option? Only a few games need to be shrunk, but most of them are pretty good. Also, stretching via software as in Notaz nes emulator is pretty damn clear all things considered. Might help those of us that are a little hard to sight :D

josh f said:
has anyone gotten popful mail to work? the emu freezes after the falcom screen.

also, ive succeeded in ripping my games in bin/cue format, but i dont understand this part of the readme:

Run the program as:

bin_cue_to_iso_ogg <name of cue file to convert> <base for output>

For instance if you did:

bin_cue_to_iso_ogg game.cue game

It would create the new cuesheet and track files in the directory game,
with names game.cue, and game_tN.* for the track files.
i dont understand what i need to do on this part..

help please!

I'm a bit stumped with this myself (not being a very technical person), so some kind of guide would be handy. Exophase has promised to help me out with this but maybe we could come up with something on here that can be added to the README that is shipped with the emulator? It would allow Exo to get some well earned rest as well! :)

To answer your question, converting to OGG will compress the files so you can fit more onto your SD card. :)

OK, guys, the readme is pretty clear. If people are having problems with the conversion, why not just stick with the bin file? Ripping a TGFX CD is more complicated than converting the bin to iso-ogg. Also, necstasy has a guide to rip iso-wav, so all someone needed was an oggenc tool after. But honestly, if you got a successful bin, downloaded oggenc.exe, ran bin_cue_to_iso_ogg, and copied the resulting directory to your SD, it should just work.

Best way to rip a real cd is to get Ultraiso. It's a simple easy program that will do almost any cd image format. Then just use the bin_to_iso_ogg in a cmd prompt (if in windows) and for eg: bin_to_iso_ogg ValisII.cue ValisII

That's all you have to do. Also you need the oggenc.exe file in the same folder as the bin_to_iso_ogg.exe

How to use bin_to_iso_ogg in Windows, a step by step guide:

1) Download oggenc from the provided link to c:\windows (I don't have it on me right now, maybe someone can upload it...)
2) Locate the directory where your .cue file is. Let's say it's in c:\pce\cd_images, let's say the cue is named game.cue
3) Extract bin_to_iso_ogg.exe to this directory.
4) Go to start->run, type cmd, press enter.
5) Type cd c:\pce\cd_images (use whatever the real directory is, not this), press enter
6) Type bin_to_iso_ogg game.cue game, press enter
7) After a while this will finish and there will be a new directory called "game"
8) Copy this directory to your SD card
9) Load the .cue file inside the directory from Temper

geise69 said:
EDIT: Actually I know the issue. It's with your syscard3.bin file. I'm sure it's a US version. I tried it just to test. Valis Fantasm Soldier will not run with the US v3.01 system card. Make sure you use the PC-ENGINE 3.00 system card. It will work fine. It will also help with compatability issues, since most games are Japanese anyways.
Wow, so it really does make a difference. Good to know. I'll add that to the readme.

Exophase said:
How to use bin_to_iso_ogg in Windows, a step by step guide:

1) Download oggenc from the provided link to c:\windows (I don't have it on me right now, maybe someone can upload it...)
2) Locate the directory where your .cue file is. Let's say it's in c:\pce\cd_images, let's say the cue is named game.cue
3) Extract bin_to_iso_ogg.exe to this directory.
4) Go to start->run, type cmd, press enter.
5) Type cd c:\pce\cd_images (use whatever the real directory is, not this), press enter
6) Type bin_to_iso_ogg game.cue game, press enter
7) After a while this will finish and there will be a new directory called "game"
8) Copy this directory to your SD card
9) Load the .cue file inside the directory from Temper

geise69 said:
Wow, so it really does make a difference. Good to know. I'll add that to the readme.
Yeah it's funny cause my Duo is a US version and has no issues at all with any games, since there was never any region lock out. Guess it works fine cause it's real hardware. Also if you try the US 3.01 system 3 card with Popful Mail it doesn't even recognize the system3 card. It has an image telling you you need a super cd rom card. Kinda like the ACD games if you don't have an Arcade card in your Duo/pc-engine cd system.

bman - Not wanting to sound like a pedant, but not everyone on these boards uses command line stuff. I've not used command line since the days before Windows 95, so while it might seem like second nature to some of the more programming-savvy chaps out there, there are just as many people who don't have a clue - like me! :D

Plus, I want ogg files cos I want to fit more games on my SD card.

Anyway, I tried the ogg conversion and got this error message:

error: could not load cue file 4

Any ideas? I've done all the readme told me to do.

Thank you Exophase!! Temper allready kicked so much ass, and now i get to play Turbo CD games..damn this is awesome!

thanks again

Mr PPV THC

Back