Tekken 3 for PS

ChaosWarmech

So I finally got around to getting some fighting games set up on my pandy. Sadly though Tekken 3, the one I played most as a child, doesn't run full speed at all. It runs fine at the main menu and the opening scene, but choosing a character, and in the fight lag like mad. I'm clocked to 850mhz so I don't think that overclocking much more is going to make a difference. During the fight it runs ~30fps, I don't think 150mhz would double the fps =\. Anybody get it working, or have any ideas on how to get it to run a little quicker?

I haven't actually tried this game yet, sorry. What bios are you running? Have you tried using a different bios?

And would you like this topic moved to the Support section?

Last edited by a moderator:
With HLE it crashes PCSX before the fight even starts. I'm using scph1001. And I figured it would get more exposure in general, which is why I posted it here. I figured somebody has nostalgia towards Tekken 3 and tried to get it working.

More generally speaking what settings can be changed to increase the speed. I've tried changing it to the old Frameskip under the GPU settings, worked for Valkyrie Profile's smaller slowdowns, but no dice here. Is there anyway to manually set the frameskip?

Edit: tried at 999mhz just to see. It runs around 41fps, still far too slow =\.

My only advise is to give every single other bios available a go and if still slow after all that, please contact Notaz to let him know of the problem for he might be able to fix the bug, if any.

My only advise is to give every single other bios available a go and if still slow after all that, please contact Notaz to let him know of the problem for he might be able to fix the bug, if any.
Every single other bios? Isn't there only 1001 and 7502 for NTSC and PAL respectively? Since this is an NTSC game I don't see how 7502 would help...

EDIT: nope 7502 lags just the same.

I did just notice that when you pause the game it jumps up to 60fps.

Ahh okay. Well I tried 5000 5500 7000 7001 and a couple others and they run exactly the same. Trying the PAL version, but IIRC the pal version ran a tad slower than NTSC on the PS.

try psxrearmed perhaps? psx4pandora is our outdated zzotd port, who doesnt even work on the emulator i think

try psxrearmed perhaps? psx4pandora is our outdated zzotd port, who doesnt even work on the emulator i think
Running PCSX rearmed r8.

Ahh okay. Well I tried 5000 5500 7000 7001 and a couple others and they run exactly the same. Trying the PAL version, but IIRC the pal version ran a tad slower than NTSC on the PS.
The fact that the PAL versions run slower is actually advantageous, apparently.
No dice... it lags equally :( . I'll try the Japanese version...

Tekken 3 was one of the most technically ambitious PS1 games of it's time. It runs in the interlaced "hi res" mode which means it draws twice as many lines vertically than most other Ps1 games.

With HLE it crashes PCSX before the fight even starts. I'm using scph1001. And I figured it would get more exposure in general, which is why I posted it here. I figured somebody has nostalgia towards Tekken 3 and tried to get it working.

More generally speaking what settings can be changed to increase the speed. I've tried changing it to the old Frameskip under the GPU settings, worked for Valkyrie Profile's smaller slowdowns, but no dice here. Is there anyway to manually set the frameskip?

Edit: tried at 999mhz just to see. It runs around 41fps, still far too slow =\.

It lags terribly mates as do a few of the 3d polygon type games...I guess they must be harder to emulate :(

If ~50fps is more acceptable to you (I find it pretty good) you should use the older r6 version. In my case PAL, sch1001 bios, auto frameskip and auto region (strangely just found that running it NTSC on a PAL copy makes it faster aswell). At 999mhz you'll get 50-53 max during fights / 60 in the winning poses/menus etc. At 1050-1075mhz its around 55-60fps in the fights which cant be scoffed at considering the technical side of the game.

Might be better with an NTSC copy and tweaking other settings as I haven't bothered but r6 is your best start point it seems. Hope you get somewhere acceptable :)

aaaaaaaaaaargh!! i'm dying.

Tekken 3 is one of the games i intend to play intensively when i will receive the pandora.

notaz if you read this topic, please do something for us :eek:

I'll try out r6 when I get a chance.

Since this is an arcade game would there be an arcade emu that could run it better? All my past arcade playng involved light guns 90% of the time so I've NEVER bothered with any arcade emus. Which emu would I use to run it?

Edit: r6 does run faster. No lag at all choosing a character. ~50fps in game @999Mhz. Better, but still not good enough for a fighting game IMO.

Well I'm glad it wasn't a fluke on my part at least. Seemed pretty good to me but I haven't played it on a PSX for ages and aren't good enough to notice if its messing up the combo timings and such. I doubt the current MAME emus will handle stuff like Tekken too well, if at all though (anyone know?) so for now your probably out of luck.

Out of interest is Tekken2 playable on r8 as I haven't got round to trying it yet and it had serious rendering issues before. Is T2 fast enough if it does run?

On the light gun topic, I sent notaz my PS1 guns awhile back and he's hoping to be able to implement light gun/touchscreen useage for PSX-ReARMed in future if he can figure it out, so perhaps a few TimeCrisis/Pointblank type titles will eventually be possible with stylus/TV Out.

Chances are those things will be faster in next version, but we'll see.

On the light gun topic, I sent notaz my PS1 guns awhile back and he's hoping to be able to implement light gun/touchscreen useage for PSX-ReARMed in future if he can figure it out, so perhaps a few TimeCrisis/Pointblank type titles will eventually be possible with stylus/TV Out.
I've visited my parents and played with that on one of their CRT TVs during the weekend. The Guncon protocol (Time Crisis, etc) seems to be simple enough, but I failed to dump meaningful data in the justifier mode. An open source input plugin with gun support has surfaced not so long ago, hopefully it will help to figure out missing parts.

Back