Teach Me Shortcuts

Fzero

Advanced Member
Just looking at the mass prod photos I was thinking do k/board shortcuts work on pandora/Linux?
Like ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+c, and the likes?

Do the typical ones that Windows use apply, if not but there are Linux ones, care to share with someone who hasnt a clue?

O/T ...I also just wondered if any devs will be putting in easter eeggs into their projects, I like em

xfce4 user manual

close window : Alt + F4
Maximize window : Alt + F5
Maximize vertically : Alt + F6
Maximize horizontally : Alt + F7
Hide window : Alt + F8
Shade window : Alt + F9
Stick window : Alt + F10
Cycle windows focus : Alt + Tab
Move window : Control + Shift + Alt + Arrow (up, down, left, or right)
Resize window : Shift + Alt + Arrow (up, down, left, or right)
Next workspace : Control + Alt + Arrow right arrow
Previous workspace : Control + Alt + Arrow left
Add a workspace : Alt + Inser
Delete a workspace : Alt + Delete
Go to workspace number N (1-9) : Control + F(N)
Move the window to previous|next workspace : Alt + Control + Home|End
Move a window to workspace number N (1-9) : Alt + Control + keypad key number N
Start xfhelp4 : Alt + F1
Start xfrun4 : Alt + F2
Lock the screen : Alt + Control + Delete

The usual shortcuts work as well, like Ctrl+C (copy) Ctrl+V(Paste) ... etc... Things usually work just as you'd expect.

There's also some mouse shortcuts, like alt-leftclick-drag to move a window. Regardless of where you click and drag, frame, body, text area, hyperlink... doesn't matter alt-leftclick-drag moves a window. Don't you wish Windows did that?

Be careful with ctrl-alt-del. Depending on the setup (I'm not sure how the XFCE on Angstrom is configured), it might restart, instead.

Cheers mindlord, got the ones I hoped would work then.
I didn't know what Shade or Workspace were, just googled and Shade seems to be much like Minimise window.
Workspaces though, I realise now that's what those 4 rectangles are in the top of my ydl Linux on my ps3, didn't know the term before, I've never really used that feature on my ps3, and just read:
http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome2n4.htm

at the bottom of the article it has the "tip"

On my ps3 I just run all within the one workspace, my snes emu and browser mainly. Is there any benefit in using workspaces as mentioned in that tip, such as perfomance? Or is it just a matter of juggling programs is easier when they all seperated? Personally I'm not sure I would find that easier, not when only a few programs running, I guess if you have loads of programs a open then grouping into workspaces could prove usefull

Applications -> Settings -> Keyboard : "Application Shortcuts" tab
Change shortcut functionality, including alt-ctrl-delete. :)

Fzero said:
On my ps3 I just run all within the one workspace, my snes emu and browser mainly. Is there any benefit in using workspaces as mentioned in that tip, such as perfomance? Or is it just a matter of juggling programs is easier when they all seperated? Personally I'm not sure I would find that easier, not when only a few programs running, I guess if you have loads of programs a open then grouping into workspaces could prove usefull
Application juggling only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok benji cheers I will check that safely when I've nothing open to worry about losing

and yes mindlord that drag window feature is nice!
That's the kind of shortcut I needed to know, especialy as on the pandora smaller screen that will be much better than clicking acuratly on the title bar to drag

No, shading is not quite like minimizing.
http://puppylinuxfaq.org/content/15/77/en/shade-window.html
It leaves the titlebar up, but hides the window contents, itself:
http://toastytech.com/guis/rh8floppy.png

The only real caveat is likely to be working within a terminal where ctrl-c means cancel. To copy something out of a terminal window, it is ctrl-shift-c

Fzero said:
Or is it just a matter of juggling programs is easier when they all seperated? Personally I'm not sure I would find that easier, not when only a few programs running, I guess if you have loads of programs a open then grouping into workspaces could prove usefull
This is pretty much the big benefit to having separate workspaces. :p

For example, in my own daily use I dump all instant messaging stuff on one desktop, have a browser open on another, have another for working on writing or sewing patterns, and so on. It's a feature I absolutely can't live without on a computer. :lol: Sometimes I leave one empty for chucking random stuff at while I'm working.

On my Kubuntu machine, I have Alt + Tab set to walk through the workspaces, so that it essentially functions like Cmd + Tab app-switching on a Mac (this is because I came from Mac OS X before I started using Linux, and on a Mac, app-switching is per-program, not per-window as it is on, say, Microsoft Windows - that method is something else I can't live without, thus my solution came to be :p ).

EDIT: Holy crap, Super Mega Ultra Multi-Ninja'd! :ph34r:

You guys left out the most powerful keyboard shortcut of all: "Linux Finger!" :blink:

Alt + Control + Backspace

Kills the window manager and all associated processes. Immediately. Just BOOM!-->Command line. Very useful for those times when a misbehaving app makes the window manager unresponsive.

I should point out, however, that the Pandora hardware is only capable of recognizing 2 simultaneous keypresses on its keyboard. This means that the 3-key shortcuts listed in this thread don't apply to the Pandora, though they still apply to Linux in general.

That's generally a dangerous one, and should be avoided unless intended. I try not to teach it to people.
It can also be disabled, and sometimes is (I think it's the default in Ubuntu, now).

Taylor-MadeAK said:
I should point out, however, that the Pandora hardware is only capable of recognizing 2 simultaneous keypresses on its keyboard. This means that the 3-key shortcuts listed in this thread don't apply to the Pandora, though they still apply to Linux in general.

The Alt and Ctrl buttons on the Pandora have their own GPIO lines and aren't subject to the 2 button rule. You can still hit alt-ctrl-shit-x and have it recognized.

Alt-backspace has been disabled by default in most modern distros.

Good point, I had forgotten that ALT and CTRL are on the same interface as the gamepad controls.

For the record: I hate it when distros disable the Linux Finger command on me. I know it's considered a "dangerous" (really? come on, it might be inconvenient to have the WM disappear unexpectedly, but I can't see how that would be dangerous) command for new users to have access to and all, but I still don't like having that option taken away from me. Fortunately, I'm not a new user, and the first thing I do when installing a new distro is re-enable that command.

Besides, how does a user learn to use something like that if the "gurus" behind a distro take it away from the users before they even know it was there? The mentality just doesn't make sense to me.

It's dangerous like the power cable is dangerous. You can lose a lot of work quickly and simply, if you accidentally hit the combo. It's certainly worse than "inconvenient".

I agree with you that I dislike it when they disable it, but doing so does have it's uses. I always feel bad for the "hey, I just learned a cool new command - try this!" gags, and also it adds security - someone can't kill X when your machine is locked.

These are all great cheers, will probably make good use of the shading and workspaces on my pandora now I know

the killer finger one, would that be used a bit like windows End Task in task manager, if a program freezes up, as something to try before forcing a reboot?
If so I myself would probably enable it and just be cautious to not enter it by mistake other that to do this if needed

I think they're referring to Ctrl + Alt + Backspace, which kills Xorg, the graphics server, and dumps all applications that need a window to run. (Basically everything besides a web server and screen sessions)

It's handy if something goes terribly wrong with X and you have no options besides crashing it or rebooting.

There's also the Alt + SysRq + R,E,I,S,U,B, which I have never gotten to work. Arch Linux might have it disabled by default, or it might be that when my system actually freezes, it freezes so hard that the kernel can't even receive the emergency stop key commands.

Of course, if anything goes bad, you can just hold the power button and hope you weren't in the middle of a file operation. That always works.

(<alt>)-<sysRq>-k does work as a "linux finger" (kills everything on the current virtual console), as long as sysRq-commands are enabled (enable kernel.sysrq=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf, or run "sysctl kernel.sysrq=1"), but I don't have a clue what key is normally mapped to sysRq on the Pandora...

Oh, and most of those shortcut-keys also work on the other linux-dekstop-environments.
But Pandora's keyboard-layout is quite different from a "normal" layout, and most shortcuts seem a bit difficult on the Pandora, so reconfiguring those shortcuts to something easier might be handy...

Back