Tapwave Zodiac Versus Gp32

I've been told that BatteryValues.com stock a suitable battery to replace the Zodiac's, I'll try and find out the exact one.

Yeah right. It´s not as if a replacement is hard to find:

2 requirements: right voltage and rigt size (so it will fit into the case). That is all.
It´s an easy mod.

I've spotted a couple of Sony Clie batteries that are the same voltage and looking amazingly similar to the Zodiac's, although I'm not sure on exact dimensions.

While we´re at it, we should choose a pack with high capacity... I´ll see if i can find anything far better than the Zodiac´s battery, maybe i´ll replace it just for longer durability...

thanks for the info about the sale... unfortunately I'd strongly prefer a Z2, and $299 still a bit much for me. Not that I don't think it's WORTH it, mind you, just that I'm kinda broke right now.

My next handheld purchase MAY be another PSP if this rumored 1.5 hack (due out in just a few hours) ends up being fake. Then I'll keep my 1.0 psp for emu's only.

If I were looking for a handheld strictly for emus/homebrew right now, I'd probably hold off a bit and watch the PSP scene.... its growing VERY rapidly with new or updated releases almost every day. SNES is already close to full speed, PCE is full speed... I dunno about the others those are the only two I've tried but I've heard most of the other popular ones are near or at full speed as well. Oh I did try the GB/GBC one it is full speed as well. They all have options for screen stretching and are starting to put options for overclocking the PSP to it's full speed of 333 as well. Bottom line is, for the cost of a BLU + and some SMC's you're already right at the cost of a PSP Value Pack. An extra $100 for a 1gb stick and you are SET for emulators. Hey I love my GP32 but I am thinking that pretty soon I may not have a reason to play it much anymore if the PSP scene keeps growing in leaps and bounds like this.

I'm gonna have a look at that Asus pocket PC right now, and see what they're going for. Sounds very interesting... I never even considered pocket pc's or palm devices for emulation until just now...

Heres a list of emulators for the PPC....

http://www.pdarcade.com/modules.php?name=S...ticle&artid=102

As long as you get a 400 mhz PPC with a PXA255 chip or higher you should be okay, but theres a big speed difference between a 400 mhz PPC with a 250 chip and one with a 400 mhz PPC with a PXA255 chip, big big difference.

Still wish they would do a pocket PC with a gameboy style control on the left hand side but probably not ever gonna happen.

I'm like you though, as soon as the PSP is totally cracked and emulators come out left, right and centre (sorry center !) for it then i'm gonna convert over

I do love the GP32, but i do miss SNES and GBA gaming plus a higher memory card, a 128 card is tiny. Looking forward to seeing what a GP32 Mk II might be like though

Either way i think portable gamings gonna get better and better

Yeah right. It´s not as if a replacement is hard to find:

2 requirements: right voltage and rigt size (so it will fit into the case). That is all.
It´s an easy mod.

I've spotted a couple of Sony Clie batteries that are the same voltage and looking amazingly similar to the Zodiac's, although I'm not sure on exact dimensions.

While we´re at it, we should choose a pack with high capacity... I´ll see if i can find anything far better than the Zodiac´s battery, maybe i´ll replace it just for longer durability...

Be careful!!!!!!
Change the battery only if you are really sure and if the customer says that's really compatible with your device.
With my experience I can tell you that these kind of batteries are really different from normal ones.
They usually have many properties (thermistor for thermal control, internal protection, electrical shutdown, etc...).
It's possible to do a disaster if things are not really compatible, especially if there is something wrong with the charging circuit.
I don't want to teach you anything and I don't know the property of that battery... but as I said, just be careful.

Sincerely,

LDChen

I am also amazed by drumasters post.

amazed.

For me GP32 wins just because of DR.MD, add in PCengine etc. combined with AA batteries and its just what I want. Really simple to use too, no OS at all...

I'm into the simple things :) plug and play, the zodiac was too complex for my liking.

Bring on the new GP32...

-Craig

www.gbax.com
Amazed by the fact I now prefer the Zodiac? :unsure:
The Zodiac is as simple to use as the GP32, you launch a game with 2 "clicks".
A TRUE OS allows so many things the GP32 can't do, multi tasks, so many settings you can set up and don't forget Palm OS is very light, not as heavy than WinCE that requires a 400 Mhz to run correctly games on it.
I think the GP32 is awesome (I won't ever sell it) but the Zodiac offers more capabilities for me due to his OS, that's all.

Please don't flame me as I only answer to Craig's post, because I also love the GP32. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can t do anything else than agreeing with what Drumaster said (both posts).
I own both a GP32 and a Zodiac2, so...

Also, Im a bit surprised that DaveC didnt know more about the Z, since he hangs around at ZodiacGamer.com all the time... :lol:

Hm, i looked a bit deeper into that battery stuff and found out that it´s more complicated than i thought. Those batteries have inbuilt electronics that measure all kinds of stuff (temperature, current, the specific resistance of the device etc.). So i´d need to find a battery that matches the specs of the Zodiac´s very well, which is, in turn, rather hard since finding the specs for those batteries is difficult. If anyone would use a battery that´s not appropriate, the battery just wouldn´t work.

So the difficulty is finding an appropriate battery. If we found one, the rest is a breeze...

Back