T-Mobile "pulse" - Google Android Handset (Huawei U8220) - Ama

glossywhite

Still Fresh
Hi people!.

I just wanted to evangelise a little about the whole Google Android platform, but especially the UK T-mobile "Pulse" handset, which I picked up yesterday at my local T-mobile store, for the bargain price of £147. This is a fully fledged Android handset, complete with WIFI, bluetooth, *capacitive* 320x480 screen (easily equals iPhone screen!) and Android OS v1.5 "CupCake" (love those tasty codenames!). The device comes with a 2Gb MicroSD card, but you can put whatever card you want in it (I think). I have an 8Gb in mine, and it is more than enough.

To think that I spent £440 on an iPhone 3GS in June, and it had nothing like the customisation or flexibility of this *Open* device - just GOT to love Android!. Here are the specs:

SPECS

I'm going to get mine unlocked ASAP, and get it off this ghastly T-mobile carrier - I'm an O2 man, what with getting 12,000 txts for £10 p/m on PAYG. Just thought I'd give you all a heads up on this amazing device - SUCH A BARGAIN!!.

Man, I dunno, these Android phones all look the same. Same basic layout, screen, even hardware.

At the very least I'd certainly hold out for a more powerful handheld, these Qualcomm MSM7200A/528MHz ARM11 devices are going to be quickly superseded. Especially if you already have an iPhone 3GS, this is a big step backwards :/

Just me though.

My friend has a Pulse and it's pretty bottom of the barrel. Resistive screen, incredibly laggy.

You should have just jailbroken your iphone

EDIT: Apparently it is a capacitive screen. Just felt very much like a resistive when i used it

iPhone 3GS = £440, Pulse = £147. iPhone = proprietary & restricted - Android = open and fully customisable. I know which I prefer; £300 in the pocket, and not being tied down to Apple's nonsensical "you do what we tell you" attitude - also, the laggyness is due to the v1.5 that is on there I feel, not the hardware.

glossywhite said:
iPhone 3GS = £440, Pulse = £147. iPhone = proprietary & restricted - Android = open and fully customisable. I know which I prefer; £300 in the pocket, and not being tied down to Apple's nonsensical "you do what we tell you" attitude - also, the laggyness is due to the v1.5 that is on there I feel, not the hardware.

Both ridiculous arguments. Firstly who pays the cost price for a smartphone anyway? You get it for a diminutive price when you sign up for a contract, that includes a data plan so you can make full use of said smartphoone.

Also, like I said, if you don't like the App Store's restrictions, just jailbreak your iPhone. You said you have one, so your cost comparison is moot. In fact you are £147 down for buying the Pulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
glossywhite said:

Both ridiculous arguments. Firstly who pays the cost price for a smartphone anyway? You get it for a diminutive price when you sign up for a contract, that includes a data plan so you can make full use of said smartphoone.

Also, like I said, if you don't like the App Store's restrictions, just jailbreak your iPhone. You said you have one, so your cost comparison is moot. In fact you are £147 down for buying the Pulse.

Some of us. Don't have jobs.

As direct result we don't have very much money.

(naw)mcx said:
Nova said:
glossywhite said:

ngg

really fucking good.

(naw)mcx said:
Nova said:
glossywhite said:

Get a job, hippy. I've been working since I was 13.

P.s. The HTC Hero is on T mobile for £20 a month with unlimited data usage. I know what I'd have chosen.

So, did you sign a contract when you got the phone from T-Mobile? You say it's carrier-locked, can you even unlock it easily/for free/legally?
The only comparable phone prices are without contract and without any SIM-lock. Everything else is just bullshit.

I hate Apple and their attitude. However, I don't see the appeal of Android, either. There are no really attractive devices with it, they put a lot of effort into making it a closed down non-standard Linux system as far as I can tell, and new versions of the OS don't seem to come to old devices. I really hope Palm adds direct hardware access to official webOS development, soon, as everything else is just perfect with my Pre, at least from my perspective.

Nova said:
glossywhite said:

Who pays the cost price for a smartphone?... the mugs who *think* they're getting it "free" on some ridiculously long-term contract, do. No, I didn't say I *have* an iPhone, I said I bought one in June - I took it back - you *assumed* I still have it, which I don't. Hmmm - jailbreak a closed platform, or enjoy an OPEN one... let me think... :unsure: ... oh that's right, I can't have the latest iPhone firmware if I unlocked it myself, because Apple just lock it again next time I upgrade; genius solution!. iPhone is *overpriced* - and over-controlled, and this is coming from someone who was an Apple fanboy up until a couple of months ago, when I opened my eyes to *how* much money I was losing on buying Macs & Apple kit, when I didn't need it.

glossywhite said:

But you already had a 3GS. Or did you sell it? Otherwise the price difference seems moot.

I think this whole openness argument is overblown, so long as there's some means to hack what you want on it (ie, Jailbreaking on iPhone). With that considered I think I'd rather have the platform that has more stuff for it.

(naw)mcx said:

Maybe you should fix that problem before buying a new phone at all. Just some friendly advice.

I've just picked up a Pulse for £137.01. I don't know why the .01, but hey, I don't care. It's not like I'm going to pay cash for it anyway.

Why didn't I have it or a similar phone free on a £20/month contract? Probably because I don't want to spend £480 on a phone (24*£20, as unless you have a 24 month contract, the phone isn't free).

I've put £20 PAYG credit on it which will probably last me about 6 months, and after that I'll have it unlocked and moved onto my Orange OVP Virgin plan.

Secondly, phones do have updated firmware released periodically. If you update a Jailbroken iPhone, you have to worry about bricking the phone (happens sometimes depending on how it was broken), and how to re-Jailbrake the new firmware, not to mention having to wait for someone to do it and hoping that doesn't brick your phone. Large risks considering the £400+ the phone costs.

The T-Mobile staff in the shop said they'll unlock the phone for me to use other networks after 3 months, so yes, you can do it legally.

Exophase said:
(naw)mcx said:

Maybe you should fix that problem before buying a new phone at all. Just some friendly advice.

I plan on it.

How ever, I don't use my phone enough to think about getting a contract regardless.

Squidge said:
I've just picked up a Pulse for £137.01. I don't know why the .01, but hey, I don't care. It's not like I'm going to pay cash for it anyway.

Why didn't I have it or a similar phone free on a £20/month contract? Probably because I don't want to spend £480 on a phone (24*£20, as unless you have a 24 month contract, the phone isn't free).

I've put £20 PAYG credit on it which will probably last me about 6 months, and after that I'll have it unlocked and moved onto my Orange OVP Virgin plan.

Secondly, phones do have updated firmware released periodically. If you update a Jailbroken iPhone, you have to worry about bricking the phone (happens sometimes depending on how it was broken), and how to re-Jailbrake the new firmware, not to mention having to wait for someone to do it and hoping that doesn't brick your phone. Large risks considering the £400+ the phone costs.

The T-Mobile staff in the shop said they'll unlock the phone for me to use other networks after 3 months, so yes, you can do it legally.

Firstly, the iPhone is not a GP2x. While you can brick it by jailbreaking if you're a retard who can't follow extremely simple instructions, it's incredibly easy to undo, just hit the restore iPhone button in iTunes.

Secondly, you state that you're paying 460 for a phone by having it on contract, but this is just bollocks. You pay for the contract; the minutes, texts and data you use. The phone is comparitively cheap, or free. Maybe this isn't a big deal to you, as someone who goes through just £20 in 6 months, but from the point of view of a power user, it's a bargain, plus it's more affordable to pay in installments than drop up to 400 for a phone.

And don't think that the android OS is open either. Google still moderates the apps, just not as heavily as Apple admittedly does.

I also am intrigued about glossywhites iPhone. Did you ever have one or were you just trying to make a point?

Nova said:
And don't think that the android OS is open either. Google still moderates the apps, just not as heavily as Apple admittedly does.

No. Google moderates the Android Market. Android phones are able to install apps from 3rd party sources, however, unlike a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Ravnos said:
Nova said:

No. Google moderates the Android Market. Android phones are able to install apps from 3rd party sources, however, unlike a non-jailbroken iPhone.

I also downloaded a few emulators from the Market.

Go figure.

Nova said:
Squidge said:

Firstly, the iPhone is not a GP2x. While you can brick it by jailbreaking if you're a retard who can't follow extremely simple instructions, it's incredibly easy to undo, just hit the restore iPhone button in iTunes.

Secondly, you state that you're paying 460 for a phone by having it on contract, but this is just bollocks. You pay for the contract; the minutes, texts and data you use. The phone is comparitively cheap, or free. Maybe this isn't a big deal to you, as someone who goes through just £20 in 6 months, but from the point of view of a power user, it's a bargain, plus it's more affordable to pay in installments than drop up to 400 for a phone.

I also am intrigued about glossywhites iPhone. Did you ever have one or were you just trying to make a point?

Gosh!. You react to a civil conversation in SUCH a hostile way - that is no way to encourage others to listen to your viewpoint.

Okay - let me ask some questions:

** Do you honestly, _honesty_ think that the handset you get "free" on a contract, IS free?.

** How much do you think it costs the network to transport your calls & SMS messages?.

** How much of the network's alleged call/SMS costs, do you suppose is pure profit?.

** Do you not realise that the handset you're getting "free" is paid for by the ridiculous charges & rental you're paying?. This is BASIC economics!!.

** You've just contradicted yourself with the opinion that the phone is "free" on contract, by THEN saying that people pay in "installments". Which is it to be, then?.

I think an Android phone for £147 with NO ongoing costs, is a sheer bargain. People are locked into this "iPhone is King" mindset - that is nonsense. One handset cannot be best at EVERY task, forever. It is wonderful that Android OS is here, to drive forward innovation and to encourage manufacturers to abandon their proprietary Symbian & WinMo devices, in favour of a far superior development model; open software.

Networks love people with your attitude - they don't care WHEN you pay, because they KNOW they have fleeced you, due to the fact you assume your phone is "free".

You really ought to engage your common sense and courtesy, before throwing yourself headlong into an abusive rant aimed toward people you don't even know. You have just proved your ignorance, beyond ANY shadow of a doubt.

[PS] Why is this thread in "other consoles"?. A phone is not a console.

Back