systemd-journald broadcast messages

HelenF

Very Active Member
I'm trying to debug an application that's sending a lot of messages to systemd-journald (Fedora 22). systemd-journald is broadcasting the messages to all my terminal windows, which I really don't want. The only thing I can find about it is this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193879
My system does have a /etc/systemd/journald.conf and I tried the things suggested but it's not making any difference. (I did restart the service, and then I tried restarting the computer to make sure.)
Any other ideas how to stop the broadcasting?

systemd.journald.forward_to_wall=no didn't work? I have no clue of systemd (deleted it because of other annoyances), but according to available documentation that should have done the trick. Perhaps another conf file is overriding it (/etc/systemd/journald.conf has lower precedence than any of the conf.d entries that may be sprinkled over various hierarchies)?

I tried adding the kernel parameter, which the documentation says overrides the value in the config file, but that didn't make any difference either.

I take it calling 'mesg n' in your terminal doesn't affect the arrival of messages. If it is a journald message, presuambly that's coming in via the syslog plugin, but I have no experience with configuring that yet unfortunately.

Right, "mesg n" didn't help either.

As the person in the linked thread said, the simple test is
Code:
logger -p local3.emerg test

And then in all the terminal windows I get
Code:
Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 28 16:27:41 ...
 helen:test

Wait... with the problem application (lircd) it was saying instead (or maybe as well)
Code:
Broadcast message from systemd-journald@localhost (Sun 2016-03-27 23:26:52 BST):
> lircd-0.9.4pre1[19064]: Trace: girs: written command "receive"
That's not the same.

Now that I changed the settings it's saying
Code:
Message from syslogd@localhost at Mar 28 16:48:50 ...
 lircd-0.9.4pre1[2142]:Trace: girs: written command "receive"

So I need to disable broadcasting for syslogd now.

Last edited:
Try editing this part of your /etc/rsyslog.conf

# Emergencies are sent to everybody logged in.
#
*.emerg :eek:musrmsg:*

to something with a .none in it... can you show me a line in your logs (I think the emergs not only go to the TTY screens, but also to another log?) then we can add things like myprogram.none to that line, so that all other .emerg will pass through, but not messages from that particular program..

See the examples with ".none": http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_conf_examples.html

Last edited:
Thanks, I commented out that line and it seems to be sorted. My biggest problem here was that I didn't notice I was getting each message twice, once from systemd-journald and once from syslogd. (What kind of default is that anyway?)
So then when I disabled the messages from systemd-journald, I didn't notice the difference and thought the setting hadn't worked.

This suggests lircd is sending "emergency" messages when it should be sending "debug" messages.

Be careful with just commenting it. I once had a fan failure, and the temperature emergency broadcast saved my computer (by being able to react on time). So maybe use the .none somehow. Note: The laptop also had a beep, some bios'es can be configured that way (beep when overheating).

Back