System76 launches high-end Linux laptops with fully open source firmware

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
Not really handheld gaming related, but I thought this might be of interest to some of the folks here. Premium Linux system builder System76 has finally unveiled their fancy-pants laptops with "coreboot" - a fully open-source minimal firmware that replaces the traditional BIOS/UEFI. They're taking pre-orders now for delivery towards the end of the month.

7JOoM3s.png

The 14" Galago Pro starts at $950 and the 15" Darter Pro starts at $1000. Not cheap, but also not unreasonable for top-tier components and fit & finish. Forbes article here, System76 website here.

Last edited:
Last I knew System76 didn't actually build machines so much as buy them from another OEM and install their own software base on them. I wonder what the origins of this one are. Anyone know? Looks somewhat familiar - maybe an Acer?

I'm sure this is an OEM chassis. They likely made a deal with the OEM to use some particularly easy to implement hardware, so it's probably a slightly modified version of a chassis being sold by several other "manufacturers".

Quite interesting, but as im allready Pree Pree Ordered a Pyra, and this Laptop dosnt fit my Pockets, i dotnt think i would buy one..
Also Pyra will be my Main Work PC at Home (as its much faster than the Pandora i think this should work)..
I do current Gen Gaming on XBOX ONEX and Switch, so i just need something for Libre Office, Youtube, and Internet..

Reactions: rSl
These things definitely aren't for everybody. Hell, I refuse to pay more than $400 for a laptop simply because anything that can't be done on a cheap laptop should be done on a desktop anyway. But I know there are folks here who take open hardware very seriously, run linux exclusively, and would be interested in what is probably the first high-end laptop that is properly open.

oh nice hope it trickles down to older models too

I have an (older series) InfinityBook from Tuxedo (germanys answer to System76, no idea who was first) which uses the same "base" hardware (forgot who manufuctures them) as the Galago Pro and its very nice

These things definitely aren't for everybody. Hell, I refuse to pay more than $400 for a laptop simply because anything that can't be done on a cheap laptop should be done on a desktop anyway. But I know there are folks here who take open hardware very seriously, run linux exclusively, and would be interested in what is probably the first high-end laptop that is properly open.

I'll pay upwards of $2000 for a laptop, but at that price level I'm either going for a mobile workstation - rare these days of VPN and cloud based proc VMs, OR going for a very high quality keyboard and display in a highly portable form factor that will stand out as 'quality' when the sales guy opens it up on the customer's conference room table.

Examples of mobile workstation: P53, X1 Extreme, Macbook Pro
Examples of salesman's wow: X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga, Macbook Air

Last I knew System76 didn't actually build machines so much as buy them from another OEM and install their own software base on them. I wonder what the origins of this one are. Anyone know? Looks somewhat familiar - maybe an Acer?

Ask and you shall receive... let me introduce you to:

Galago Pro AKA Clevo N141ZU https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1155&lang=en

Darter Pro AKA Clevo N151ZU https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1135&lang=en

Proudly made in Taiwan, but "built" in the USA...

Not my cup of tea, I prefer something similar to P970RN. It fits better my needs.

Back