system clock issue

peelie

hi

my system clock is resetting to one hour ahead of hwclock (which is at correct time) each time i restart pandora;

any ideas?

thanks

I had the same problem after the recent switch to 'standard time' in germany. The Pandora clock did not handle that correctly out of the box.

IIRC, I set the actual time using XFCE UI, then ran

sudo hwclock -u
sudo hwclock -w
to set the hwclock to UTC, then set it to the system time.

(might have been the other way around, i.e. first the -w then the -u line)

maybe not the most correct solution but at least that worked.

(latest OS updates installed here, of course)

hi tried both setting hwclock to utc  then writing system clock to it and other way round but system clock still reverts back to one hour ahead after restart

I can confirm that bug with the latest OS update.

After a reboot, the clock was always two hours ahead.

After running bsps commands, it's now one hour ahead after a reboot.

That never happened before that time / date-fix that has been applied to the OS a while ago.

What exactly has been changed?

Could it be the OS now ignores daylight saving times and timezones?

same here always wrong time after reboot.  who the hell idea is this to change time in the spring and fall and it messes up the pandora?  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not confirmed here.

Did you set your date and timezone correctly? What's in /etc/timezone ?

For Germany, 'date' command should report something like "Tue Nov 12 11:48:04 CET 2013", if there is no "CET" you have wrong timezone.

We could revert the change but it will break for other people who set their timezone correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

sudo hwclock -u
sudo hwclock -wto set the hwclock to UTC, then set it to the system time.
That only writes the system clock once, in local time. The first command displays the hardware clock in UTC. You need to combine the arguments to get it to write the UTC timesudo hwclock -u -w

That's probably why Peelie didn't notice a difference when he switched them: there was none :p

sudo hwclock -u
sudo hwclock -w
to set the hwclock to UTC, then set it to the system time.
That only writes the system clock once, in local time. The first command displays the hardware clock in UTC. You need to combine the arguments to get it to write the UTC time
sudo hwclock -u -w

That's probably why Peelie didn't notice a difference when he switched them: there was none :p
cheers stan this worked, system time now correct after restart; still odd that hwclock needs to be utc time i.e. 1 hour behind?

thanks

@WizardStan: yeah, I used -wu, of course.

@notaz: Time zone here is now "Europe/London" instead of "Europe/Berlin" to work around the one hour offset.

Anyway, this is not a Pandora specific problem -- The exact same thing happened with my Debian Linux notebook.

Reminds me of my first semester as a student: We had to write a 'date'-style program that was supposed to work with arbitrary past and future dates (output month/weekday etc.). Many (if not most) ppl got it wrong because of all the exceptions / changes of rules over the centuries..

It's a bit embarassing that (at least some) Linux distributions cannot handle this summer/winter time (DST) switch correctly nowadays but it even took a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft many years and OS versions/updates to get that right (finally fixed in 2008, IIRC).

At least it's not the end of the world. That one is scheduled for 2038 :p

Back