Switchback to the old black cases

Scntrblob

I believe I have already sufficiently expressed my disliking of the new silver cases, so I will just plainly ask this question:

Is it possible/planned to switch back to the old coloring in the next batches of cases?

Definitely not the old color, as that often looked used even before we assembled it...

I'd like to have an anthrazit color (that's what I wanted for the platinum ones already), but the chinese company didn't understand within 6 months what "a very dark metallic gray, nearly black" could be...

We have 3000 cases left... so if we ever sell more than 3000 more Pandoras from now on, it could be a possibility.

Transparent case would not only require a different material with different shrinkage coefficient etc., but also a substantial upgrade to the mold (beautification of internal surfaces that suddenly become visible).

Last edited by a moderator:
A little high jack.. But I purchased a complete black case as I want to change my silver 1ghz into a black case. ED... Is there a guide or could you give me some pointers? As I don't want to fudge things up when I get back to the uk.

A little high jack.. But I purchased a complete black case as I want to change my silver 1ghz into a black case. ED... Is there a guide or could you give me some pointers? As I don't want to fudge things up when I get back to the uk.
Quite a hijacking indeed. ;) Just follow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8GfjAsbmK8, which requires you to take apart basically the whole Pandora. I followed this to replace an LCD cable and multiple cases. I haven't opened my silver Pandora yet, but I'm quite sure the (dis/)assembly hasn't changed.

I'd like to 3d print a custom case one of these days.  I suppose I should try to get a spare case and try that .. anyone else doing it?

I've said it before...  The Pandora needs to be done in marbled bakelite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

True retro console material.

Clear would be cool - but would show scratches.

Random plastic source beads blended together and pushed through the extruder process should result in wild tie dye effects - that would be fun too.  Kind of like '70s bowling balls.

I've said it before...  The Pandora needs to be done in marbled bakelite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

True retro console material.

Clear would be cool - but would show scratches.

Random plastic source beads blended together and pushed through the extruder process should result in wild tie dye effects - that would be fun too.  Kind of like '70s bowling balls.
Bad Idea. Bakelite may look awesome but this material is very brittle, especialy when you have such thin material like used in handheld devices. Bakelite would need a pretty thick brick of an case to be durable, so better think about other case materials.

As long as it's better material than used in the Pandora cases (CC ones) ''m fine with everything that looks nice and clean. 

I personaly can imagine some undestructable carbon fiber-reinforced polyamide, used for example for the plastic parts of various modern guns like the G36. You literaly can slam a nail in concrete with the plastic case of an G36. :D

^^ You a gun nut too ?

Whatever type of plastic they made the original gameboy out of Would make a manager case . Same color .

Bad Idea. Bakelite may look awesome but this material is very brittle, especialy when you have such thin material like used in handheld devices. Bakelite would need a pretty thick brick of an case to be durable, so better think about other case materials.

As long as it's better material than used in the Pandora cases (CC ones) ''m fine with everything that looks nice and clean. 

I think the idea would be bakelite effect  - but made outoff a far more modern/durable plastic

I'd love the idea of every unit being unique.

Actually, What if the assembly process included photographing each unit, then for an extra 5GBP you could choose a case that you liked :)

^^ You a gun nut too ?
Lol, no. :D I just shoot some rounds with the G36 at german Army, and the Army time was enough gun usage for my taste, believe me.

It was 1998 and the G36 was pretty new, we actualy had the G3 at this time, an old, heavy gun, mostly made out of metal with big ammunition and a hell of a recoil, then we've got the "tiny" G36, in comparison it was like a toy gun, out of plastic, light, nearly no recoill. 

I had no idea that guns can be made out of "plastic" so that's basicly the reason why I was impressed because the material of the encasing really felt hard and sturdy. Would be perfect for an Handheld imho. :D

I think the idea would be bakelite effect  - but made outoff a far more modern/durable plastic

OK, I agree, the effect would be nice and it's much better if it is "straight molded in plastic" and not just painted. The case shouldn't be painted at all.

totally awesome idea, but i'd be too nervous to get my 1Ghz Pandora naked in case i killed anything vital. I waited a long while for it and i'd hate for anything to happen...

Painting cases is a Bad idea - I'm already getting black patches on my rebirth unit (September 2012), even though it spends most of its life on a table, in my hands or in a pocket - and doesn't get bashed or scraped

+1 for the original GameBoy plastic / colour.

Otherwise, I want a black case ala CC units, but sturdier.
Yes, the original Gameboy had a very durable case, I'm still impressed when you compare it with modern handheld devices. maybe it was because of special palstic or it was extra thick. I've never heared of cracked Gameboy cases. ^^ 

Original Game Boys are indestructible

448px-Game_boy_damaged_in_the_gulf_war.JPG

Back