Release Switch GUI: Openbox

^

Should work.

Check settings and come back :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
The above doesn't work for me :(

Did you reload? I guess from what Askurus says, it must be a typo. If the menu comes up under the mouse cursor, the problem is in rc.xml, if you need to press Ctrl + Pandora button, the problem is in op_menu.sh

Any ideas why abmouse isn't showing up in warlockbar?
ABMouse has spaces in its appdata. I didn't even know this was possible. I'll fix it next update.

How would I create somewhere for docked apps like radiotray to live?
I'll look into - it might be easier to change radiotray to spawn it's own system tray.

This setup is a few tweaks from being awesome :)

some of those would be:

nicer gtk theme

Nicer? Please can you elaborate? :)

toggle USB host in main menu
I'll stick this in the next update.

system menu fixed
Argh!! Is this still happening? Does it happen for everyone? I really don't understand it.

always open menu in top left
I'll put the fix in the next update.

bundle obconf if practical
I couldn't get it to compile, because I don't think it's been updated for 3.5. I'll have another go at it at some point.

Nicer? Please can you elaborate? :)
When starting running openbox, all gtk apps are using a default grey with simple bevels theme (not unlike that used for pandora-specific-config)

Something like clearlooks would be better - especially as the user probably has a bunch of such themes already installed

Ah, okay, thanks.

We don't have many gtk+ engines / themes on the OS, just a bunch of XFCE-specific ones (no Clearlooks), but I can add them.

I'm starting to see the difference it makes:

leBU1.png

Thanks for this, Openbox is now my default GUI!! :) I just have one little question :

1) The warlock bar works great BUT when I turn off and on again it doesn't populate with my pnds unless I go to Switch GUI -> OpenBox... Basically, nothing shows up until I reload. Any idea on what I might have done wrong?

Not sure. Are you booting from an SD card? If so, wbar might be loading it's config file before it's fully written to disk. You could try experimenting with sleeping before wbar starts - change $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/autostart to something like

Code:
sleep 1

wbar --config /home/<yourname>/Applications/Settings/openbox/wbar.cfg &

and try incrementing the arguments to sleep ('sleep 1' is for 1 second)

Not sure. Are you booting from an SD card? If so, wbar might be loading it's config file before it's fully written to disk. You could try experimenting with sleeping before wbar starts - change $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/autostart to something like

Code:
sleep 1

wbar --config /home/<yourname>/Applications/Settings/openbox/wbar.cfg &

and try incrementing the arguments to sleep ('sleep 1' is for 1 second)

Fixed, it worked! Thanks again!

OpenBox is sweet. MUCH better than I expected. I'm looking at making it my default aswell.

I have a small question: If I minimise something, where does it go?

How do I bring it back?

I was playing a game and on a terminal (Multitasking on the same screen!). Minimised both, could not get them back and they would not restart from menu again.

There's no taskbar to show icons for minimized apps so they disappear. The best way to get them back is to press Alt + DPAD-down (the Openbox-for-Pandora equivilant of Alt-tabbing on a desktop) - this lets you cycle through the currently running programs: choosing one makes it visible again.

A slightly less disconcerting way to make space for other stuff is to send the programs you would normally mimimize to Desktop 2 (press Alt + DPAD-up and choose Send To Desktop, then use Alt + DPAD-left and Alt + DPAD-right to choose between desktops).

Alternatively, you can 'shade' them - press Ctrl + DPAD-down to toggle between seeing the full window of an app, and just the title bar (in the screenshots at the repo, the terminal is often shown in a 'shaded' state).

Once you get used to keyboard combos, you can speed through tasks easily, and if you hate the default keyboard combos, you can change them (in $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/rc.xml).

Hey, do you have some plans for a further release or is everything as you wish :) ?

I should be releasing a new version on Sunday (I usually try out stuff during the week and release what I've got at the weekend).

It'll have everything that's been suggested in this thread (switchable gtk-themes and openbox themes, a toggle-able system tray, easier config and general fixes).

Current screenshot:

ACU1W.png

I've got obconf compiled, but it's one of those too-big-to-fit-the-screen type apps, so I'm going to have to play with it a bit more.

Hmmm, I wonder... we should have recipes for OpenBox in our tree as well, so I should be able to include in into the main OS.

You created a very nice setup and config here which should be easy to be implemented as well.

What do you think? Should we collaborate here?

I'd also like to see some fast way to go into TV-out menu and CPU speed settings.

Is it possible to display SD-cards and USB storage devices on the desktop or do I have to use the file manager here?

I'd also like something optional that shows me which programs are running.

Maybe some small Panel I can turn on and off easily or maybe display running stuff on the desktop?

Maybe a second Warlock Bar for running applicarions on the top of the screen (or on the right hand side if you like)?

I like multitasking and working with my Pandora. Something that makes it more easy to keep the overview would be nice :) .

(If possible of course :) )

The config in your menu is a great idea.

Did you also include some different themes?

Also, what if the warlock bar were shrunk, and included icons for removable media (e.g. thunar /media/acmesdcard/?

I like multitasking and working with my Pandora. Something that makes it more easy to keep the overview would be nice :) .
don't alt-dpad and ctrl-dpad work here?

Putting this in pandoraOS would be a good idea :)

ED,

I'm guessing from openpandora/feeds that your bitbake recipes are for Openbox 3.4.7, whereas this pnd contains Openbox 3.5 (aswell as bug fixes, it also allow icons in the menu). I've no experience with OpenEmbedded so I don't know how easy it is to change. However, most of the binaries (Openbox, openbox-menu, menu-cache, wbar, stalonetray, obconf) are straight-forward compiles (only obconf needs patching).

But yes - I'm happy to collaborate and help out however I can.

----

Akarus,

You posted whilst I was typing the above. Different themes will be included yes. I'll look into your other suggestions, but it'll be for next weekend rather than this one.

----

Binky,

I'll see if I can add a "Add media shortcuts to wbar" Config entry, as it's something people may or may not want automatically taking up space on the warlock bar (it'll be for next weekend's release though, rather than tomorrow's),

Thanks.

No hurry.

Since I help out EvilDragon I know what it means to have no time left to do fun stuff ;) .

I'm guessing from openpandora/feeds that your bitbake recipes are for Openbox 3.4.7, whereas this pnd contains Openbox 3.5 (aswell as bug fixes, it also allow icons in the menu). I've no experience with OpenEmbedded so I don't know how easy it is to change. However, most of the binaries (Openbox, openbox-menu, menu-cache, wbar, stalonetray, obconf) are straight-forward compiles (only obconf needs patching).

But yes - I'm happy to collaborate and help out however I can.

Updated the recipe for OpenBox to compile 3.5.0, seems to work fine.

Are the other binaries part of the Openbox package or do we need to create new recipes for some of those?

Back