Swiss Army Knive, the Pyra under the Sharp Tools

This is the current official Swiss Army Knife, got it during military service 2004.

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_070341.jpg
    IMG_20190707_070341.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 345
@fusion_power : The Evogrip Range isn’t the Current Modern SAK as Wenger was bought by Victorinox some Years ago,
The Wenger Knifes where a bit more experimental than the Victorinox: Serated Scissors, Locking Blades on the 81 cm SAKs whyle this Feature was only on the 111 cm Victorinox (Workchamp, etc)
The Wenger Evogrip S557 got a lot of diverenz to a Vic , also a Screwdriver that locks in use and other things..
Instead of using the Bought Know-how from Wenger to develop better SAK, Victorinox makes it’s usual Knifes but also a Range of Wenger under “Victorinox Delemont Collection “

Some years ago I bought the original Wenger Evogrip S557 but it’s got some issues whit Tools that are way to Tough to fold out,
Then I got me the Victorinox Version which works much better..

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
This is the current official Swiss Army Knife, got it during military service 2004.
Looks to be the same of this on wikipedia:
Soldatenmesser_08-2.JPG

That's not a bad little collection of tools. Never been able to use those tin openers effectively, but at least that integrates the small screwdriver. The double bevelled saw looks very handy, a little short in the stroke as they all are on these kind of knives, but it should chew up a significant amount of wood or plastic on each stroke still.

Edit: Although that apparently was current since 2008, so your 2004 knife is probably the one before that.

Last edited:
Never been able to use those tin openers effectively, but at least that integrates the small screwdriver.

There are two types of 'tin openers' aka 'can openers' that have been included in knives. The dual purpose screw driver one like you have pictured is, in my humble opinion, the poorer option of the two.

The blade on that one is designed to work in a 'forward' motion taking small nibbles around the can/tin. If the screwdriver tip gets forced into the can then you're doing it wrong (too much). Small little bites over and over - once you get the hang of it, it can be moderately efficient. If you are right handed, then this works around the can counter clockwise. This type isn't much good if you're trying to open a can to pour or drink from - have to force the screwdriver bit through to do it.) Yes, people poured beverages and drank from cans without pull tabs or pop tops.

Now, if you roll back time to when there was a lot more reliance on canned/tinned food, then awesome multi-function knives looked more like this:
mdAJS42.jpg

Notice that the can opener is a relatively large (and very dull but for the pointy tip) claw. In this case, the 'nibbles' around the can in the reverse direction with each bite drawing the slit/opening toward the operator. This doesn't cut so much as split the steel on it's way clockwise around the can. With it's larger size/throw, this one can be considerably more efficient. This style is also much better at opening triangular holes in a can to pour or drink directly from the can. Two cuts toward the inside of the lid meeting at the 'point' create a triangular opening with indented edges. Make a 'breather hole' in the other side for smooth pouring/drinking.

That above knife is the only one of it's kind I have ever seen - can't seem to find much history for it online. Camillus NY five bladed camping knife with saw, stainless blades, wood tang and brass caps & pins. (not for sale)

Heh, there's one with a nail clipper, file and scissors; grooming in a pinch
615DZBAkkPL._SL1200_.jpg

I bought this in 1992 the only thing missing is the toothpick..lol no idea when that got lost.
In my experience of victorinox knives at least, the bump on the toothpick or the recess inside the slot wears away quite quickly, so eventually they just fall out. A missing toothpick is probably the sign of a well used victorinox.

The good thing on a Vic is that you could buy a new Toothpick if you want,
Also it’s not that hygienic to use they..
I use they to clean my Victorinox,
The Tweezers are much more useful..

You use your vic toothpick to clean your vic? I suppose you could wrap a cloth around it, but otherwise I feel I may have misunderstood you.

But yeah, the tweezers are handy to have.

IMG_0529 cropped.jpg

i remember replacing the toothpick once already but couldnt be bothered now. there is a saw and some more on the back i couldnt get open.. still got the pen and tweezers too..
one thing i didnt realise at first but the focal length on that magnifying glass is perfect for the width of the knife. it makes a great loupe! so many times i have used it to read the markings on PCB chips.. just pop th glass out,lay the knife on the board and read away easily perfect focus... well it was, it seems to be not so good the older i get .. lol
the saw is very useful. it makes a great gyprock( drywall?) saw.
the blade has "Officier Suisse" on it.. i assume thats the model?

Last edited:
No “Offizier Swiss” isn’t the Model, it’s something all SAK have..

One of the Name of this Things in Germany is “Schweizer Offiziersmesser” (Swiss Offizier Knife)
I assume a normal Swiss Soldier ditnt got such a Knife, only the Important Soldiers who are the Boss of the other Soldiers (like a Officer) get this Knife,
And they trink Wine, so therefore the Corcscrew

Someday someone is going to start a multi-function knife line-up or company that sells the individual blades/tools, back springs, handles, T-nuts and screws for a 'build your own' kit. None of these multi-tools winds up being perfect for 'everybody' after all -- which is a reason why there are so many kinds out there. Such a solution would likely be more bulky though.

I thought of that because I'd much rather have a bail hook than a corkscrew on mine. (Bail hook is a 3/4 loop of steel with a ~4mm ID to use for lifting tied loads or pulling on a loop of line/paracord.)

Yes, although there's a little complexity to that. Each layer contains two tools, for example,I think the long knife and the short knife are on the same layer (which I don't see the point of personally), as are I think the corkscrew and the bottle opener (more sensibly, maybe). And with the corkscrew you need a different finishing plate because it needs to go top and have a cutout in the plate to be assembled fully.

I'm tempted to get a leatherman because I can see the point of having pliers on my at many times, and those knives being built around the pliers have somewhat better pliers that you can get on a victorinox. That said, proper pliers are inexpensive, even more robust again, and I don't actually need them when out and about usually, so the handful I have dotted around the house are enough, even when I need a second pair to apply some torque. Actually the only tools that I normally need when out and about are things like a spade or an augur or a crowbar and wheelbarrow, but I somehow doubt any of those of suitable size come on any of these pocketable tools.

Actually the only tools that I normally need when out and about are things like a spade or an augur or a crowbar and wheelbarrow, but I somehow doubt any of those of suitable size come on any of these pocketable tools.
So... not a wheelbarrow, but...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61lLnmzxFML._SL1000_.jpg
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Military-Multifunctional-Emergency-Entrenching/dp/B07DHJBGJN
[doublepost=1562725985,1562708113][/doublepost]
Yes, although there's a little complexity to that. Each layer contains two tools, for example,I think the long knife and the short knife are on the same layer (which I don't see the point of personally), as are I think the corkscrew and the bottle opener (more sensibly, maybe). And with the corkscrew you need a different finishing plate because it needs to go top and have a cutout in the plate to be assembled fully.
So, the idea would be that the knife would be fully optionable. There would be two types of side scales - with and without cutouts. Each blade/tool/spring would be sold separately. Things like pliers would be 2-3 blade thickness units and would need different springs, etc...

The pins are the trick - but I think I have a solve for that. Have the inside layer of the scales be a thin piece of stainless with an eye-slot pin catch. The pins are then straight stainless pins with rotary notched ends. The scales snap on and become the pin retainers. Pin lengths then simply become a multiple of 'blade thicknesses'.

A single blade knife would have pins of 'blade thickness two'. One for the blade, one for the sides (each side 0.5 blade thickness). Anyone got a stainless CNC equipped machine shop and waaay too much spare time?

I'm tempted to get a leatherman because I can see the point of having pliers on my at many times, and those knives being built around the pliers have somewhat better pliers that you can get on a victorinox. That said, proper pliers are inexpensive, even more robust again, and I don't actually need them when out and about usually, so the handful I have dotted around the house are enough, even when I need a second pair to apply some torque. Actually the only tools that I normally need when out and about are things like a spade or an augur or a crowbar and wheelbarrow, but I somehow doubt any of those of suitable size come on any of these pocketable tools.

I have had several Leatherman multitools, a Gerber, el-cheapo versions... There really isn't that much difference. Pick the tools you want to have on it, then find the one that is a closest match to that. Then if more than one meets your needs, factor in the, "how much will my wallet cry when I loose this thing."
[doublepost=1562726115][/doublepost]So, I bought a Vic S557. The scales overlap the bottom metal a bit - so, fit & finish not the best. Locking main blade is nice - kind of cool how the lock works. I'll take it camping and see how it does.

@Grench
On my S557 the Scale Edges are also a bit unpleasent, seems like Victorinox ditnt tread the "Stepchilds" they got when they bought Wenger very well,
Also there are some diverence between the Wenger and the Victorinox S557: the most important one is that the Vic got the Victorinox Can Opener and the Live Long Warrantie, also the ale is a bit diverent and there is not this nick in the Evogrip Scale for the Ale the Wenger has..

Someday someone is going to start a multi-function knife line-up or company that sells the individual blades/tools, back springs, handles, T-nuts and screws for a 'build your own' kit. None of these multi-tools winds up being perfect for 'everybody' after all -- which is a reason why there are so many kinds out there. Such a solution would likely be more bulky though.

I thought of that because I'd much rather have a bail hook than a corkscrew on mine. (Bail hook is a 3/4 loop of steel with a ~4mm ID to use for lifting tied loads or pulling on a loop of line/paracord.)
diy custom knife.. good ideai think that it would be better if you could just fill out an order form and the knife come prebuilt to your specs. just from a safety angle.. dont want the thing falling apart because someone didnt assemble it right.

mine does have a bail hook on the back. with all the other things open i couldnt get it open..lol

IMG_0530.JPG

front is a chisel then a flatblade screwdriver the hook and last i am not sure of the name you can pierce leather and canvas and put thread through the hole to sew them up...
poor old girl has had a hard life and is a bit dusty..

diy custom knife.. good ideai think that it would be better if you could just fill out an order form and the knife come prebuilt to your specs. just from a safety angle.. dont want the thing falling apart because someone didnt assemble it right.

mine does have a bail hook on the back. with all the other things open i couldnt get it open..lol

View attachment 32639
front is a chisel then a flatblade screwdriver the hook and last i am not sure of the name you can pierce leather and canvas and put thread through the hole to sew them up...
poor old girl has had a hard life and is a bit dusty..

Yes - that is the bail hook I was talking about - they're handy if you remember you have one.

The 'pierce leather' blade is called an "awl". The older knives have an awl without the eyelet. Theoretically the eyelet can be used for stitching leather and the like.

Got this cheap Morakniv as woodworking, gardening tool
Super light, grippy and sharp
Download (1).jpg
Still not sure about a folding EDC.

i got myself the Opinel N°08 Carbon for a whooping 9€.
it's built flawlessly, i'm verry happy. <3

and i discovered that the friendly lady that owns the shop i bought it, is deeply into electronic music, so we had some music tips to share, which was fun too. :D

ndeg08_carbone__0.jpg

Last edited:
Back