Suggestion on Input.

As far as I know the Ara stuff is still many months away.  If a basic small set is cheap I will probably go for it.

Since it's modular, I will probably go and have a good look when it gets released or something.

The most important issue is whether they have a 4:3 active digitizer screen that can be plugged into the bottom which I doubt so but then it's still pretty cool.

Since it's modular, I will probably go and have a good look when it gets released or something.

The most important issue is whether they have a 4:3 active digitizer screen that can be plugged into the bottom which I doubt so but then it's still pretty cool.
The Processor (SoC daughter board) is modular, there was no plan of making the keyboard modular, well outside of maybe making keymats for different language/regions if that is an option.... 

Last edited by a moderator:

The Processor (SoC daughter board) is modular, there was no plan of making the keyboard modular, well outside of maybe making keymats for different language/regions if that is an option.... 
I think Rouji4256 means the Project Ara stuff.  If so, since it is modular it opens up the market to whatever people want and make.  That is a big part of the idea behind it, and why it is getting attention.  You buy it and upgrade parts as you wish, so you don't have to toss the whole thing to get the newest, or whatever.  The result is less waste and lower cost (possibly) to have current hardware.

I think Rouji4256 means the Project Ara stuff. If so, since it is modular it opens up the market to whatever people want and make. That is a big part of the idea behind it, and why it is getting attention. You buy it and upgrade parts as you wish, so you don't have to toss the whole thing to get the newest, or whatever. The result is less waste and lower cost (possibly) to have current hardware.
Yup, I was referring to Project Ara.

Judging from the maximum size of the frame, I think it's pretty unlikely I'll find what I want but it's alright, still pretty cool.

I think it's pretty unlikely I'll find what I want
Do it yourself.  Perhaps not literally, since you may lack the skills for this, but maybe you can find others that want the same thing, or those who might have the skills, resources and connestions to make it.  I think the only way that what comes from Project Ara can be successful with the goals they have is if if there are a variety of modules (which "anyone" can make, I think).

Perhaps ED will give Ara modules some consideration if Pyra and other planned projects go well.

I think.the pyra should be controlled via telekinesis!

hehe the keyboard is the main reason I bought a pandora, and will be one of the main reasons for me buying a pyra. I cannot understand what the general public has agains buttons, I think a button of a dial is a wonderfull functional unit for devices. A dial for instance is a means to physically see the setting of a a given input and manipulate it by physically setting it to another level. This has everything it visualizes the setting and immidately makes it clear how to manipulate that setting.

One of the worst things I saw recently was a console at a parking place, that console had a touchscreen with on it an image displaying a single button... I thought is was a sad display of poor design choice. A button would have been much more in place there.

Touch screens on public devices do annoy me. However I think it's cheaper for the overall company to just spew out one device and have people load their own os on it. I've seen the same guts used on mutiple machines. Of course none of it's standardized....

Back