Stupid Question About The People Here

nihil-00

I was thinking about the fact that so much much people here complain about dumb noes who seem to be unable to follow board rules, and ask the same questions over and over again, and start new topics even if the same discussion has been done a minute ago.
I wonder why this doesn't happen on gp32spain.
is spanish people less stupid.
i don't think this is the point.
gp32spain has a MUCH bigger frontpage section dedicated to forum's title.
here at gp32x it's way too small, i think:idiotic people can't read the forum, or use search, and this makes that frontpage section so important...

whish this makes sense.

nihil-00 posted on Jul 11 2004 at 05:21 AM said:
I was thinking about the fact that so much much people here complain about dumb noes who seem to be unable to follow board rules, and ask the same questions over and over again, and start new topics even if the same discussion has been done a minute ago.
here at gp32x it's way too small, i think:idiotic people can't read the forum, or use search, and this makes that frontpage section so important...

whish this makes sense.
Well, I for one always read board rules, but almost all boards have the same rules:

1. Use search function, don't double post
2. Don't ask questions which have already been answered in the FAQ
3. Please refrain from using obscene language
4. (Optional) Please mind your grammar.

And, what a miracle, GP32x follows almost the same rules! So unless people are blatantly stupid, you'll have no problem following the rules almost every board sets out. Conclusion: The people who come here are new to forums 'n board ettiquete, and even if you made a page filling text with "READ RULES FIRST!" they won't...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, we could announce important topics in the news, such as "Which GBA emu is best" and move them to a sort of tutorial section on the main page?

Tristan posted on Jul 11 2004 at 08:54 AM said:

whish this makes sense.
Well, I for one always read board rules, but almost all boards have the same rules:

1. Use search function, don't double post
2. Don't ask questions which have already been answered in the FAQ
3. Please refrain from using obscene language
4. (Optional) Please mind your grammar.

And, what a miracle, GP32x follows almost the same rules! So unless people are blatantly stupid, you'll have no problem following the rules almost every board sets out. Conclusion: The people who come here are new to forums 'n board ettiquete, and even if you made a page filling text with "READ RULES FIRST!" they won't...
did you read what i said?

nihil-00 posted on Jul 11 2004 at 08:39 AM said:
did you read what i said?
Yep, and apparently understood half of it. Not too hard seeing as it's spanish english:

What exactly d'you mean by that? :blink:

You could make the forums the front page, With each topic having a dedicated line on there and have it in arial 72 point bold font and you would still get dumb posts/questions. People are lazy, They think it is quicker to start a new topic that to use the search function. Thats life. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Stupid spelling.

Trooper

whish this makes sense.
loads of people here feel the urge to have a say in everything and tend to complain a lot. That's just my opinion.

I for one do not see a problem with the 8-9 different topics on the GPadvance, I just ignore them

some people here - imho - feel OBLIGED to post :)

(the complaining bothers me more than the noob posts...)

please notice that i'm not complaining (if this is what you mean).
i'm suggesting.
ther's a bit of a difference.
and however, as my profile says, i'm not spanish:italian :p
think this doesn't make a difference, however.

probably i didn't express myself good, i fear.
well, i thought mine could have been a constructive critic, but since i can't get myself to be understood, just ignore me.

Don't worry - it's hard to express yourself correctly in some points if you're not a native English Speaker (I am German, so I know about this problem ;)) - especially when it comes to hot points like criticism.

Constructive criticism is good - but can easily lead to some flames when other readers don't exactly understand what you're trying to say and think you just want to complain.

I think that is the MAIN problem here.
Most flames on this boards are due to such misunderstandings.
It's because English is a widely spoken language and you have a lot non-native English speakers here.

On a Spanish site like gp32spain.com, most writers ARE native spanish people - as Spanish is not as widely used as English.
So there are fewer misunderstandings and fewer flames.

I THINK I know what you mean by that...
You only see a few forum topics on the main news site here, whereas you see A LOT MORE at the main news site on GP32spain.com, right?

Well - it COULD be that this is easier overlooking the newest topics...
But I remember I had problems finding the news on GP32spain.com, cause I didn't scroll down far enough and kept looking for a "NEWS" link on the main menu ;)

Every design has it's pro's and con's - but I like the appearence on this site better.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

The main problem I think we have is that people with poor English skills may have trouble interpreting our rules and expectations. For non-native speakers of English we try to be polite, but sometimes idiots (on our end) fall through the cracks and we have to deal with them.

Maybe it's because the search function (it is spelt function right? Am I not getting something when a load of people spell it funktion? Or are they just German?) on invision boards is shite.

Back