Release Stupid Mines

matti1234

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=stupidmines

Woohoo, another minesweeper, just what everyone must have been waiting for.

Couldn't come up with a proper name so I did what I did with my previous game and used a stupid name instead.

preview.png

So stupid! ;)

I will snag it and give it a play when I next have free time.

Hey, I already did a minesweeper clone for pandora. I hope you added a C4A support :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was aware that there were a few minesweepers available for Pandora already but all of them seemed to be doing some things little differently to what I'd prefer, and since minesweeper is simple enough that even I could code one, I decided to make another.

There's no C4A support, at least not yet. I thought about adding it but wasn't sure if it was a good idea since the levels are randomly generated and the difficulty can be quite different even on same difficulty level. I could still add it if people want it (or maybe I'll add it even if they don't want it).

That is a great version. I really like your stuff, i hope to see more "stupid" puzzle games in the future.

As for c4a i think that the time for one Level does not really work for a competition. Maybe do several at once with cumulative score or a version where you try to work under time pressure and count how long you can play like that.

matti1234:  your source for all sorts of stupid games you never knew you wanted.

That is a great version. I really like your stuff, i hope to see more "stupid" puzzle games in the future.
Thanks. I should probably stop calling them stupid though, but if I'd waited until I could come up with a decent name before releasing the games they'd probably never been released.
As for c4a i think that the time for one Level does not really work for a competition. Maybe do several at once with cumulative score or a version where you try to work under time pressure and count how long you can play like that.
That's what I thought too but I'm not sure if I want to add any additional game mode either. So I guess this means I won't be adding C4A support, unless someone wants it really bad (yeah, probably not, but let me know if you do).
matti1234: your source for all sorts of stupid games you never knew you wanted.
What, you didn't know you wanted fifth sokoban or seventh minesweeper game? :p Yeah, maybe I should try to make a game that isn't available for Pandora yet.

Personally I don't perceive it as derogatory, more like "this is your minesweeper, plain and simple as you like it". I'm not a big fan of fancy graphics, and I have a special feeling for PNDs which measure in KB.

You should assign letters to the columns/rows (A-L & Q-P) and have shift or enter as a toggle for reveal/mark so say you wanted to reveal the top left square you could just press Q+A, that would instantly make it better and more wieldy than any other Minesweeper ports I can think of.

New version in the repo.

Changes:

1.1.0.0:

Trying to reveal an already revealed square will reveal unmarked squares around it if the number on the square is same as the number of marked squares around it.

So stupid Tetris next?
You clearly read my previous post well. :D No plans for a tetris game though.
Personally I don't perceive it as derogatory, more like "this is your minesweeper, plain and simple as you like it".
The name doesn't really have a meaning, except maybe that the author of the game is too stupid to come up with a proper name.
You should assign letters to the columns/rows (A-L & Q-P) and have shift or enter as a toggle for reveal/mark so say you wanted to reveal the top left square you could just press Q+A, that would instantly make it better and more wieldy than any other Minesweeper ports I can think of.
Sorry, but that doesn't feel like a very good idea to me.

Why not?

There's a small community of people who play Minesweeper who for above all else speed is the most important thing. There's world records and so forth, they really really care about their speed so much they they managed to get Minesweeper into the Guiness book of records. Controller or stylus is a worse input method than a mouse but keyboard input is better than both.

Controller or stylus is a worse input method than a mouse but keyboard input is better than both.
You reckon your keyboard input method is better than stylus on something like this? Bonkers! :/
To press 2 keyboard keys on a pandora over 2 rows the maximum you need to move your finger is 1cm. You have 8 fingers, the minesweeper grid is 8x8 which means half of the time you will not need to move your fingers off the keys they're already on at all.

You still have to identify the keys for the row and column. How can that possibly be faster than stylus on a touchscreen?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? I certainly don't look down at my keyboard/controller when I'm typing or playing a game.

If I understand your input method correctly, then you have a possible 64 combinations of keys/numbers to locate on an 8x8 grid (eg A1, A2, A3, A4... (or your AQ)) etc. locating the column number/letter and then the row number/letter on the keyboard will not be quicker for the average player than tapping on a desired cell location on a touchscreen.

If I understand your input method correctly, then you have a possible 64 combinations of keys/numbers to locate on an 8x8 grid (eg A1, A2, A3, A4... (or your AQ)) etc. locating the column number/letter and then the row number/letter on the keyboard will not be quicker for the average player than tapping on a desired cell location on a touchscreen.
It's not for the average player, though. It's for people concerned about their minesweeper speed who with a little practice will be able to do it through muscle memory alone. I'm not suggesting you'd replace stylus or controller input but it'd definitely be way faster for a lot of people, much like it takes your average person far longer to type on a keyboard than it does using a pen but someone who uses a computer a lot is way faster.

And how many ultra-fast record breaking MineSweeping Pandora owners do you think there might be? ;) :p

By and by, I do think having cell labels is a good idea, but I can see the extra coding work involved in coding that too.

Back