Release Stupid Boxes

matti1234

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=stupidboxes

It's yet another Sokoban clone.

You really should download some levels from the internet because the levels made by me suck and there are only few of them. Just search for "sokoban levels" or something.

Put the level files in the following directory:

/media/NameOfYourSDCard/pandora/appdata/stupidboxes/levels

Level files should be text files (file's extension doesn't matter) where the levels are presented by the following characters: #@+$*. and spaces like in the following example:

#####
# @ #
#$$*#
#. .#
#####

And yes, I really should have asked for suggestions for the name, but I'm not changing it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feature Requests...

Can you at least link some external level packs to download within the game?  

Would it be possible to build a simple level editor?

Also what about score tracking for moves to complete/time to complete for each level?

Is it really that hard to use a text editor?

That said, some explanation of what the characters do wouldn't hurt.  From looking at the default set I surmise:

# = walls

@ = your starting position.  Dunno what happens if you have more than one

$ = barrel

. = target

* = barrel + target i.e. a barrel that starts on a target

+ = @ + . i.e. you start on a target

From what I can tell this is sort of a standard.  There are levels here using the same format, albeit you'd need to replace underscore and dash with spaces to put them in this game I think.  But other places I've seen just have GIFs of the levels, and you'd have to type them in yourself.

Perhaps if anyone cares they'll convert some levels and post them to this thread.

Can you at least link some external level packs to download within the game?

I didn't want to post links at first because many sites also include levels from commercial games that are probably copyrighted. But then I remembered this site which I think only has free levels, so here you go:

http://sokobano.de/en/levels.php

Update to 0.1.1.0 before using these levels because the first version doesn't seem to like level files that have windows-style line endings.

Click the blue arrow next to a level set to download and unzip the levels to the folder mentioned in the first post. (Green arrows link to external sites where the levels may only be available as a part of some other sokoban game (probably for windows) and may not be in a format supported by my game.)

Would it be possible to build a simple level editor?
Of course it's possible but I'm lazy. I'll think about it though (well, actually I'd been thinking about it even before you suggested it), but I'm not promising anything.

Also what about score tracking for moves to complete/time to complete for each level?
Shouldn't be too hard. I'll probably add a move/step counter and save the best score. I don't remember ever seeing a timer in a sokoban game (I haven't played that many sokoban games though), but I'll think about that too.

That said, some explanation of what the characters do wouldn't hurt.  From looking at the default set I surmise: # = walls @ = your starting position.  Dunno what happens if you have more than one $ = barrel . = target * = barrel + target i.e. a barrel that starts on a target + = @ + . i.e. you start on a target
Yes, this is correct. 

Move counter and timer added in the latest version (and some fixes). I'll see if I can come up with some kind of level editor next.

Finally got around to finishing new version of this. It's in the repo now.

It now includes a level editor and you can now pause the game.

Let me know if you find any bugs or can't figure out how the level editor works.

Yah. If oxen are to ox, then boxen are to box, specially a computer box, as computer nerds are the only people dweebieth enough to use that pun ;)

Yah. If oxen are to ox, then boxen are to box, specially a computer box, as computer nerds are the only people dweebieth enough to use that pun ;)
Oh, I thought this was common.  I already feel like a dork when I say "box" to mean computer in the wrong crowd, or when I say "virii" and people look at me funny.

Back