Streets of Rage 4 ... IS HERE !!

PowerGod

Forum Addict!

I'm pretty unsure if to be happy or not looking at the trailer, but at least something seems actually moving after years...

giphy-14.gif

Not too keen on the black line cell shaded stuff at such small scales. I don't mind it in the cut scenes which are mostly close-ups where the black edges aren't too obvious, but the sprites in SoR never had black lines so I'll be sticking to SoRR myself.

I want to give the benefice of the doubt... there are points that I don't like very much from the trailer, first of all the cartoonish art, and second, seems to me there are only 2 playable characters...

All of the previous games had people somehow proportioned, excluding maybe some bosses.

The 3rd game made you play with many characters, 4 at the start and more using story events and cheats.

But the most important things for me, the ones that made the game a stand-alone genre and not a Final Fight clone, were the soundtrack and the combat system, with different kind of grabbing moves plus the possibility to interact with your companion.

The music in the trailer somehow gives me the right atmosphere, but the combat sequences are too small to find clues about playability... but what I see are exactly the same moves of the third game, so I suppose that the worst situation would be a graphic redesign of that game...

From the main site:
Features
  • The comeback of the legendary Streets of Rage series.
  • Beautiful graphics fully hand-drawn animated by the studio behind Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.
  • Classic gameplay enhanced with brand new mechanics.
  • Braised chicken served on a pristine plate.

Last edited:
We're glad to announce that Streets Of Rage 4 will be playable for the first time at PAX East in Boston, March 28-31 on the Booth 21097.

^Damn and this year I'm not going to PAX East...

They are still working on the game, and there is a new character, the daughter of Adam Hunter.

I like this trailer :happy:

[doublepost=1567640306,1567619593][/doublepost]So, a thing that could make a lot of people happy !!
The original soundtrack composer is CONFIRMED !! And will work with other famous talents as well.

The team should be Yuzo Koshiro, Yoko Shimomura, Hideki Naganuma and Keiji Yamagishi.

My pessimism on this game has slightly decreased...

COMING SOON on GOG too !!

EDIT:
I think it is still missing a character ? There's still another highlight in the background in the last trailer...

Last edited:
Oh, seems like I missed the last video !!
It presents the last character called "Floyd Iraia", and announce features like 4 player local-coop

Hum Linux ARM is missing in the compatible platforms list... :oops:
I can hope, can't I ? Maybe the "PC" version includes Pyra...?

There are not still very much information about the final game... personally I hope for some official MOD tools...

They should really "at least try" to get some people away from SORR !! :p

I always hoped for a 3D game that is more like Fighting Force, but with the cool look and feel of Streets of Rage.

But I also warm up to this 2D game with comic graphics.
If the music will be a mix between the old SOR stuff and some New Retro Wave songs, I'm totally on board.

The enemies look cool. Playable chars and environment need getting used to.

I'm happy that Figthing Force finished on another trademark... it's a cool game by itself and was a good try at the time for a 3D brawler, but if compared directly to Streets of Rage titles it had no chance...

Maybe now there will really be the possibility to have a good graphic even in 3D, but the real trouble will be the playability... when you think about SOR there are things you expect, some "standard moves", and most of them will be really difficult to be put in a 3D game...
the most important question will be, could the enemies walk and deal damage from UP / DOWN too ? Because it it will be YES, then the playability will become totally different... and this is just a single point.
Also in 3D it could become VERY UGLY seeing 5 people hit at the same time by a single punch :-#

As far as I like SOR, I hope that the name will never be used for a game too different from the originals.

Back