Streaming Video From Windows Xp To Pandora

alerino

1. In WinXP, share your folder to the world (maybe you'll have to unblock firewall in network security properties)

4966105428_274ed5dde2_z.jpg

2. In Pandora, open Gigolo under System menu - if you haven't fixed it already, follow mindlord howto here

3. Click on Connect, choose Windows Share , fill in Server with Windows IP and Share with your folder name

4966105480_4cb455f574_z.jpg

4. When you see this screen, you're good to go

4966105524_f46de9a6f6_z.jpg

5. Open a terminal window, and type the following command (use TAB for autocompletion) - your windows folder is shared into /home/yourpandorausername/.gvfs

4966105572_f83cfa3bed_z.jpg

since it is a shared folder, you may want to use cache parameters like i did, for better performance

6. RESULT (please increase volume, low recording)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sOEkOlEyMbY?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, an option one may look into for sharing from a windows based desktop PC is OrbLive - http://orb.com

It's a simple, straight forward media sharing system that allows web access to your media. No need to worry about DNS issues, port forwarding, and all the hassle that comes with dynamic IP's through most broadband ISP's. Easy to set up, and access your media anywhere. It'll even down-scale video for streaming to low-res devices or over slow connections if needed.

I've used it for a while now, originally so I'd have full access to my media library (music and videos) on my iPhone. Got the 8gb model, as it hardly mattered how much space I had on my phone with full access to 2tb+ of music and videos anywhere.

Also cool to visit friends houses and stream your movies there =)

Better change title from "stream" to "share" ^^.

For stream, vlc must do it well.

Beautiful! this is one of the things I was looking forward to the most. I'm lying in bed, streaming Star Wars from my Win7 computer to my Pandora.

Life is good.

Special thanks to mindlord for figuring out how to get that PITA gigolo to work. May karma be good to you, Sir.

-sigh-

This ain't stream.

This is a share.

Anyway, you're happy, so all is fine :)

LOL! Semantics point conceded to you, Linux-SWAT. Actually, it's more than semantics, but you're still right. And I'm still happy.

Speaking of VLC, any idea what the command line input would be if VLC or PanPlayer .pnd is on the SD card?

Speaking of VLC, any idea what the command line input would be if VLC or PanPlayer .pnd is on the SD card?

I don't understand your question.

I don't understand your question.

Sorry, the question was poorly phrased.

While using gigolo to access .AVI files on WinXP machine, I cannot right-click to run using PanPlayer or VLC; because only MPlayer is "installed", while the other media programs are in .pnd form on SD card. I would like to use the terminal to use "pnd_run" to launch VLC or PanPlayer to open a movie file. i have tried variations such as:

pnd_run /media/8GB_SDHC1/pandora/apps/vlc.pnd ~/.gvfs/blade.avi

VLC will open just fine, but the file won't open, and i cant get VLC or PanPlayer to access the .gvfs "folder" from their internal menus.

Does that make more sense?

Sorry, the question was poorly phrased.

While using gigolo to access .AVI files on WinXP machine, I cannot right-click to run using PanPlayer or VLC; because only MPlayer is "installed", while the other media programs are in .pnd form on SD card. I would like to use the terminal to use "pnd_run" to launch VLC or PanPlayer to open a movie file. i have tried variations such as:

pnd_run /media/8GB_SDHC1/pandora/apps/vlc.pnd ~/.gvfs/blade.avi

VLC will open just fine, but the file won't open, and i cant get VLC or PanPlayer to access the .gvfs "folder" from their internal menus.

Does that make more sense?
pnd_run does not support launching applications with arguments.

You need to use pnd_run.sh instead:

Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /media/8GB_SDHC1/pandora/apps/vlc.pnd -e scripts/vlc.sh -a ~/.gvfs/blade.avi

Some more discussion on this can be found here.

in VLC you have to enable the hidden files, as .gvfs is a hidden folder, don't know if PanPlayer has this setting, if it doesnt, you should download the source version (with the script mplayer.sh)

otherwise, install VLC or mplayer from the angstrom repositories

Any idea on how to enable hidden files? i seem to recall the option in "advance open file" but cannot scroll down to reveal the setting.

Thanks Caine for the tip on adding arguments to pnd_run.sh If i can get VLC to see the folder i think that will be very convenient.

Perfect! Thank you Alerino. I can use VLC to open the files on the Win7 PC now.

Back