Stirring Up The Wow Question Agian

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
This topic will almost definitely get closed, buuut... saw the this... little to no interest in it other than I occasionally play wow for shits and grins and although wow haters out there, I personally think this is at least worth looking into.... open source public server and client package stays up to date 3.1 client apparently... for those that are interested

http://getmangos.com/

What is MaNGOS?

The MaNGOS project is a full featured World of Warcraft server suite, including servers for authentication, client updates, world content serving, and battlegrounds. Additional features include tools to build and develop game content.

MaNGOS is an educational project. This means, our primary interest is to learn and teach us and our users more about C++ project development in a large scale. Our software is not intended for running public servers, and we do not support that.

Platform support

MaNGOS is available for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), and most — if not all — platforms where GCC 4.3 and the autoconf toolchain is available. This applies to both servers and tools.

that's the server, which would be possible to port but the client isn't, so you wouldn't be able to actually play the game on it... Sorry to say

Windows games and applications cannot run on the Pandora.

Although I imagine a FOSS WoW clone will be ported... go try some out and see if you like :p

A WoW client has been ported to Iphone. If that's possible then I'm sure a client for the Pandora would be possible to create as well. I wouldn't count on someone being that dedicated to doing something like that for the Pandora though.

That wasn't actually a client running on the iphone -- it was the Vollee program which is essentially a glorified VNC setup, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, WoW wasn't actually running one that phone, it was running on a computer somewhere, with the monitor output being streamed to the phone (the input is streamed to the host computer running WoW).

A WoW client has been ported to Iphone. If that's possible then I'm sure a client for the Pandora would be possible to create as well. I wouldn't count on someone being that dedicated to doing something like that for the Pandora though.
As far as I have seen the wow client does not run on the Iphone. The visuals for wow are transmitted to the Iphone via a 3d enabled version of vnc that works on the Iphone. WOW still requires a PC running windows or Cedega or Cider with enough horse power > 1.4 ghz last time I checked. The best we can hope for is a port of that vnc client that would alow us to play wow or other processor intensive games remotely.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong but without a link and or a cydia, icy, appstore presence. It is all but trickery.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I have seen the wow client does not run on the Iphone. The visuals for wow are transmitted to the Iphone via a 3d enabled version of vnc that works on the Iphone. WOW still requires a PC running windows or Cedega or Cider with enough horse power > 1.4 ghz last time I checked. The best we can hope for is a port of that vnc client that would alow us to play wow or other processor intensive games remotely.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong but without a link and or a cydia, icy, appstore presence. It is all but trickery.
This thread does raise an interesting point that I'd never considered -- it would be pretty sweet to do just that and play heavy-duty windows games remotely with the pandora, and it's awesome controls. Sort of your own OnLive service. That would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a program that does this - IIRC, it's called "StreamMyGame". It allows you to run a game on your computer, pipes the visuals to your handheld device, and sends inputs from your device back to the computer running the game. It's basically the same as what was used for WoW on the iPhone. IIARC, the creators were considering porting it to the Pandora. We'll have to send them emails again once the Pandora's released in 2 months[sup](tm)[/sup].

I wouldn't want to run a server over a WiFi connection. It simply would have a hard time if you had multiple people on the network like I do.

Back