Still Using Your Gp32 In 2012

Still using your GP32 in 2012?

• Yes, I still play with it.

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No, it's broken. I would if it was working.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Hi slaanesh,

If you plan something on taking the GP32 back from the graveyard ... I would do my best to sync with you and others developers interested... BTW i updated my post on the developers coner...

I still :lovegps: :p

Still love my GP32, but unlike back in 2003, I no longer just want to play emulators on it... truth be told, I actually went through all my SMC's and removed every single last emulator and interpreter I had, moved them forward to the GP2X years ago (and now they've been bumped straight on through to the Pandora in most cases, leaving my GP32, GP2X, Wiz (RIP, but I have like 3 SD's full of homebrew and a few of the emu's/interpreters that aren't yet ported to the newer systems... I hope one day to buy myself a replacement, but moneys tight atm) and even my Caanoo with just homebrew and commercial games on them!

I've been debating starting a nice little website with development and usage information for these handhelds, outlining a little bit of the history and highlighting some of the best games/apps for the systems. We'll see if I ever manage to pull it off though I tend to be a classic professional crastinator...

:wub:

I whip it out every couple of months and give it a good thrashing...

:D

I love the battery life on it. And it is a fun console to use because it has back boobies.

Iorgy77 said:
:wub:

I whip it out every couple of months and give it a good thrashing...

:D

I love the battery life on it. And it is a fun console to use because it has back boobies.

I call them Lady Lumps.

But yes it's a great console . I love the instant on. It's a sorely missing feature of most open source consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey people, good to see people still using the GP32. :D
Once I fix up one of my old computers back together again, I want to try to develop for it again.
I tried setting up the devkitARM toolchain but the demos didnt work using libMirko in geepee32. Havent checked to see if it would run on the device for real. On my old computer I think I still have the "official" Gamepark SDK stuff. I wish I could use it with devkitARM...

BTW, if you have any old code still around for the device at all, UPLOAD IT TO BITBUCKET OR GITHUB POST HASTE! We have lost a lot of source code from a lot of various sites. Can't afford to lose any more now ;)

AND, I saw someone selling a GP32 on Gumtree in the UK (London). Hope it wasn't any of you folk! :eek:

any news on vAtari 2600 emulator?

Anyway, my retro stuff was in our shed, outside, in cold. Last week I pick my BLU (which I won at the GBAX 2004 compo) and get in the house, then after I switched on, it immediately died, possibly because gp32 was still ice cold. I'm hoping it's just a fuse, but couldn't find any repairing guides. I still got my FLU unit, but well, blu was better :D

Anyway, it could be nice to play river raid on a new emulator. Waiting eagerly :)

Arda said:
any news on vAtari 2600 emulator?

Anyway, my retro stuff was in our shed, outside, in cold. Last week I pick my BLU (which I won at the GBAX 2004 compo) and get in the house, then after I switched on, it immediately died, possibly because gp32 was still ice cold. I'm hoping it's just a fuse, but couldn't find any repairing guides. I still got my FLU unit, but well, blu was better :D

Anyway, it could be nice to play river raid on a new emulator. Waiting eagerly :)

Retro stuff... outside in the cold.... shame on you

vAtari for the GP32 is finally finished, I've been testing it like mad. I've also ported it across to the Dingoo A320 and tested like mad on that.

I've also been doing a whole lot of other stuff. A Vectrex emulator that runs at fullspeed for the GP32 with sound, more improvements to MAME4ALL for GP32 and Dingoo A320 (native) and Temper (PC Engine emulator) for both GP32 and Dingoo A320.

There's a bit of cleaning up to do with these but expect a double releases of Atari 2600 first, then MAME4ALL and then Temper.

slaanesh said:
vAtari for the GP32 is finally finished, I've been testing it like mad. I've also ported it across to the Dingoo A320 and tested like mad on that.

I've also been doing a whole lot of other stuff. A Vectrex emulator that runs at fullspeed for the GP32 with sound, more improvements to MAME4ALL for GP32 and Dingoo A320 (native) and Temper (PC Engine emulator) for both GP32 and Dingoo A320.

There's a bit of cleaning up to do with these but expect a double releases of Atari 2600 first, then MAME4ALL and then Temper.

Nice, dude!  I can't wait to lead this stuff up on my GP32 once you've finished it!

Oh, and if you happen to remember how you got that newer OpenJazz code to compile and run that one time, I'd still love to hear it so I can give it another shot. :lol:  Through my own efforts, I actually did get it running once, but not all the code was working (for me, either the Jazz sprite was all white, and flashed red when he got hurt, or full color, but didn't flash when he got hurt, but I think that had something to do with the fact that I was using a really old GCC to get SDL working with C++ without rewriting any libraries or headers).

slaanesh said:

Really nice to see you are still supporting older handhelds. Any chance of a port of that Vectrex emu to Dingoo A320?

Will you be realeasing anything for the GPH handhelds (GP2X, Wiz, Caanoo)? In particular the Temper port to Caanoo and that fullspeed Vectrex emu to both Wiz and Caanoo would be great

I saw you were in the market for a Caanoo slannesh. That'll be great if you do acquire one as the Caanoo is seriously in need of a native Temper build. That and save states in uae4all are the two biggest missing features in the Caanoo library imo.

Orion4874 said:
I saw you were in the market for a Caanoo slannesh. That'll be great if you do acquire one as the Caanoo is seriously in need of a native Temper build. That and save states in uae4all are the two biggest missing features in the Caanoo library imo.

Both the GP2X and Wiz had Temper. It would be a shame if the Caanoo never had a native version as it was the best built handheld by GPH

Weeell, I finally decided to buy a used GP32 from ebay. It has arrived today!
It's a FLU and I can't really decide whether the screen is less clear than my older BLU (which is dead) or I am so used of modern handhelds that I don't remember how bad that was :)

No, no, it's cool! Greatest flow of nostalgy.
GP32 had that different thing, it was something new, not seen before and also a hidden gem for developing retro with it's limitations. As those handheld multiply, while I love them, the feeling is lost a bit.

So,. I am definitely gonna try stuff to get tears in my eyes, already forgotten flashes of memories with some stuff I still had in old SMC.

Then I am thinking about developing stuff. The first thing I plan to try is a port of my GPMark benchmark also for this, I am sooo curious to see how this old device performed. Fun thing is, I'll have to rewrite the rendering to accomodate for vertical style videoram, I have done this before the opposite way, won't take much time and will be fun. But the bunny might have to go or replaced by less polygons. 8MB Ram? Goulp!!! And then the people complain GCW had too little memory :)

Now, I'll also go check what I have missed after 2008 when my old GP32 broke..

I'll be playing it and developing for it again as soon as I repair it. What's the point of an open gaming handheld but to "open" it, both hardware and software!

And then yesterday it couldn't find my SMC. It suddenly failed, icon where dissapearing, programms wouldn't load. Formatted it in windows, then learned I shouldn't, downloaded programms to format it the GP32 format, also used the cable to format it from the GP32 Manager (which couldn't see it, but when it did I tried it too). I was afraid the GP32 I bought was faulty, but it all shows the SMC is no more. Strange thing, my PC card reader can still see it. I am not making sense, I will have to order some from ebay, you can't find these any more. The 128MB are expensive, I'll just find some cheap 64MB or even less just for developing (I don't need to fill it in with all software anymore, I have my Caanoo for that, I just need to test something in a limited space for nostalgy).

I was so angry yesterday! Just bought the GP32 and now I have to wait till I find a new SMC card, and still not entirely sure whether the card is fault (which is the most probable) or the hardware has a problem (the horrors).

But no, it works again!

Ok, the utility to format it didn't seem to work always, then with the cable I had hard times connecting, but then manage to format,. but then I missed the obvious. I had to copy any app to the GPMM folder so that there is no zero software, else I got the message no SMC or Game found. I was mislead, I was halfway there and only needed to do this. I found it accidentally.

I am happy it's working now, nothing is wrong, the machine is fine and the card is fine too, only angry I lost 2 evenings for this.
Still, the corrupt did occurre at first, and I hear moving/deleting files with modern card readers is a no-no.

Yeah, I'm in the market for a Caanoo. Been been devving for the last few months. Built a nice Atari 2600 emulator for the GP32 - I will have to get around to releasing that!
As for SMCs, you need to find a reliable one, that's for sure. Executables go into GPMM. :)
The GP32 is a nice machine, it's a pity it had that memory rotated screen! And 4 main fire buttons would have been handy too.
The GP2X was a nicer machine in some ways but the main controller on the first units were awful! The F-200 was better.

Is anyone still interested in the GP32 in 2013? :)

slaanesh said:
Yeah, I'm in the market for a Caanoo. Been been devving for the last few months. Built a nice Atari 2600 emulator for the GP32 - I will have to get around to releasing that!
As for SMCs, you need to find a reliable one, that's for sure. Executables go into GPMM. :)
The GP32 is a nice machine, it's a pity it had that memory rotated screen! And 4 main fire buttons would have been handy too.
The GP2X was a nicer machine in some ways but the main controller on the first units were awful! The F-200 was better.

Is anyone still interested in the GP32 in 2013? :)

I liked my GP2X, but the boot time took a lot of the fun out of it, when I tried to use it on the go.

I still have two functioning GP32s, and I do play them from time to time!  In fact, I was playing some GP32 Pinball Dreams not more than two days ago.  My FLU is severely scratched by now (took it apart too many times), and my BLU has damage in the form of a missing column of pixels (though I bought it that way because it was cheap), but they're both still functional enough to keep using, in my opinion.  I'd only buy a replacement for either of them if something showed up on eBay with a BIN price at about half the going rate, haha.

Hi,

I also own two BLU blanquitas, which i still llike to wake around from time to time, although i couldnt spare time to code them :( ...

I would love to light them up with your Atari emulator slaanesh :D...

@B^)>

Back