Stereo Borked. Channels Switched, Speakers Mono.

Now guess what? Right, the headphone channels are switched. This is ULTRA-ridiculous.

If both outputs had their channels switched it would be easy to solve that problem in software, just switch the channels again there and be done. Maybe it's just a bug in the Audio Player and it's like that, channels switched everywhere. But I can't say for sure since at least on my GP2X the speakers are simply mono. Maybe it's my really crappy headphone jack (I also get the described contact problem and have to fiddle around a lot to get clear - and stereo - sound) and the speaker lines get shorted in there. Maybe it's designed like that, which would be HYPER-ridiculous and a huge step back from the GP32.

Shouldn't you learn from mistakes made?

Not. Impressed.

When I insert my phone jack the sound the sound from the speakers is not cut and I get some sort of quadruple sound... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I am listining to a mp3 song right now and its playing in stereo! :)

Headphones are the free GP32 ones from Craigix....

When I insert my phone jack the sound the sound from the speakers is not cut and I get some sort of quadruple sound... :(
Yikes that seems a lot worse than no stereo from the builtin speakers :blink:
I don't really see the problem with no stereo from speakers that are so close together you'll have a hard time hearing the stereo anyway...

Mark1970 said:

I had that on a walkman once. Try pulling the jack out slightly, or twisting it around.

You might have to return that one if you can't get it working -- that's no good on a bus...

Okay, checked everything on my gp2x.

Headphones are perfectly correct. I did an MP3 with sound first left and then right and that's exactly what came out of my headphones.

However, speakers really seem to be Mono. I might look into the hardware when I've got some time. Should be an easy fix (if even necessary... if I REALLY want to listen to music with my gp2x, I use EXTERNAL speakers, as those speakers are simply too small to really enjoy anything...)

And some information about headphone-socket-problems:

When I first plugged my headphone in, I got crackles (in my headphones and from the speakers) whenever I touched the plug, so I thought "Damn, I also have a faulty unit!"

However, I saw that the plug wasn't COMPLETELY plugged in - so I used a little pressure to plug it in totally, and then the headphone jack was fine.
Now it easily goes in full way and I never had another crackle again.

Seems like the socket is a bit too tight, but if you plug it in fully one time, it works as it should :)

Maybe some of you guys with headphone problems should try that :)

Recieved mine tonight and been playing around with it. Overall I'm very happy although I have now killed the free batteries.

I can confirm no problems at all with stereo through headphones, though you do need to make sure they are plugged in properly.

Yikes that seems a lot worse than no stereo from the builtin speakers :blink:
I don't really see the problem with no stereo from speakers that are so close together you'll have a hard time hearing the stereo anyway...

That occured with all the headphones in the house that I used:
- some old sony walkman headphones (orange earpads, lightgrey wire), some
- some pioneer headphones
- some philips in ear phones
- some aiwa headphones
- some iPod mini in ear phones....

Pluggin it in 'all the way', carefully pulling out out etc. Nothing helps so I guess the phone jack is either faulty or my headphones are all faulty :( (apart from the fact that they work prefectly normal on other devices)

UPDATE:
The mono speakers might as well be software related!
Because I noticed that the gp2x often stops playing MP3s when you remove or reinsert the headphones...
He continues playing if you reinsert / remove them again.

So it looks like Linux actually recognizes that you've plugged in headphones, so it might be that Linux goes mono when you remove them...

Back